White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Off the books:

Frank: $8M

ARow: $3.25

Carl: $4M

I know I'm missing something else here...but giving Paulie $12M and Thome $6.25...the Sox are still $5.5 ahead going into arbitration with our other dudes.

You're missing the buyots that those guys got.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Off the books:

Frank: $8M

ARow: $3.25

Carl: $4M

I know I'm missing something else here...but giving Paulie $12M and Thome $6.25...the Sox are still $5.5 ahead going into arbitration with our other dudes.

They still have to lock up both pierzysnki and garland ( likely to three year deals) this off-season.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
If we resign Paulie I'll look at this trade like:

Rowand for Thome

Haigwood and Gio for Konerko

because we would use the money we earned by trading Gio and Haig to sign Paulie. Or any other first baseman we sign if not Paulie.

I think this is an excellent way of looking at it. Sort if like this time last year - the deals looked weird individually, but if you at how the money was moved around, it worked like a charm. And I think this one does as well.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Gio is my fav prospect, but he has had some injury probs. If healthy he can be a good starter.

These two prospects don't hurt me as much as Rowand, they are just prospects. Well at least it wasn't Bmac...

Gio's size probably was an issue. Esp if he had to be "babied" a little. I realize he's young. But being so far from helping the MLB team, I can see how he could be trade bait.

I see people here talking about getting a new 2-hole hitter, per Ozzie's request, amd Pierre's name comes up a lot. I also see people talking about Anderson in CF a lot. I've had a look at some of Anderson's numbers in the minors over the years.

Here is my question: is Anderson a guy who can be that 2-hole hitter? He won't steal too many bases, but he seems to be a good overall hitter and an athlete. Does he do well with situational hitting? If so...

Pods

Anderson

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Iguchi

Crede

Uribe

Looks pretty appealing to me.

QUOTE(Big Hurt Way Back @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Question  Is Thome good enough to play first if we cant get back Paulie and leave Frank as DH??

He can play 1b, but he's a decent step backwards from PK in terms of how much Paulie's developed in grabbing balls hit/thrown to him.

The real question I have is this...do you really want 2 guys who are older than 35 and who both missed most of last year with injuries being your only option at 1b and DH?

We need Konerko. I love Frank as much as anyone, but we need Konerko.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I see people here talking about getting a new 2-hole hitter, per Ozzie's request, amd Pierre's name comes up a lot.  I also see people talking about Anderson in CF a lot.  I've had a look at some of Anderson's numbers in the minors over the years.

Here is my question: is Anderson a guy who can be that 2-hole hitter?  He won't steal too many bases, but he seems to be a good overall hitter and an athlete.  Does he do well with situational hitting?  If so...

Anderson has good speed, but right now he swings and misses a ton. If he had to work to drive the ball to the opposite field it might even help him, but he's not going to fill in as a 2 hole hitter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
Anderson has good speed, but right now he swings and misses a ton.  If he had to work to drive the ball to the opposite field it might even help him, but he's not going to fill in as a 2 hole hitter.

Then I am going to stretch and say something I did a few weeks ago - put Anderson and Owens (who I think is potentially an ideal 2-hole guy in the future) in a head-to-head for the starting CF job in spring training. Let them duke it out. Whoever loses, make them the 4th OF.

I know, I know, Owens may not be ready. So if he loses, he loses. But I think it's worth giving him a shot.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Then I am going to stretch and say something I did a few weeks ago - put Anderson and Owens (who I think is potentially an ideal 2-hole guy in the future) in a head-to-head for the starting CF job in spring training.  Let them duke it out.  Whoever loses, make them the 4th OF.

I know, I know, Owens may not be ready.  So if he loses, he loses.  But I think it's worth giving him a shot.

Not really, spring training doesn't mean all that much and Owens is still way to raw to be in the major leagues. Give him a year in Charlotte then we'll see what happens in 07.

I'm sure this has been posted in this 32 page thread but I don't think I have enough time to read all of it. So can somebody please give me a recap. Who's the other player going with Rowand to Philadelphia? Does this mean either Konerko or Thomas won't be back next season? Thanks in advance.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I'm sure this has been posted in this 32 page thread but I don't think I have enough time to read all of it. So can somebody please give me a recap. Who's the other player going with Rowand to Philadelphia? Does this mean either Konerko or Thomas won't be back next season? Thanks in advance.

The report is that it is Haigwood and a player to be named.

There has been some speculation that the player to be named is Gio Gonzalez, but neither of those names have been confirmed at all.

This affects neither Konerko nor Thomas...but makes it such that 1 of those 2 will not be back next year.