White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
horrible... the sox will pay 7.5 million a year for the next 3 years for an old, injured 1b.

Arow was our best OF... this trade makes no sense...

Dye was our best overall OFer. 7.5M for Thome aint' s*** and he's not oft injured. He's had one injury plagued season.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KW did bring us a WS with his moves so i will trust him to make the right decisions for the WSox...That said I will miss Arow and his style of play but he lacked at the bat in his final season and your supposed to kick ass @ the plate to insure you stay with a club usually. His glove was a plus in 05 but I now trust the Sox are going to re-sigh PK and thats the most positive thing I take from this trade...not to mention the potential killer lineup. Bring us another WS kw!!!!!

I love this trade from a baseball stand point...no doubt. Hopefully gio is staying but even if he's not while giving up some good prospects I just absolutely love that we now have a left handed power bat in the middle of the order. I've said before I'm going to go along with everything Kenny does this offseason, he's earned that imo. I'm going to miss you Aaron...thanks for everything. Welcome to Chicago Jim.

On a sidenote... I assume everyone is going to mourn as my soxtalk name will have to be retired.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
I don't know about that. First they gave him that deal under Chuck LaMarr. Also, they have an abundance of OF guys.

Crawford

Baldelli

Gomes

Gathright

Young

I count 5. I think they would get rid of the most expensive one.

Didn't the new TB GM give Baldelli a new, larger contract recently?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Okay, the trade doesn't go through if he's injured. I don't know why people overlook that. There's a reason physicals are done. Edmonds plays the OF is older and is still productable. Thome had one year in which he was injury plagued(his elbow last year) and now he's just an old and injured guy? Uh no.

And Dye was our best OF IMO. Rowand was our best starting OF defensively. Taking all things into account, Dye was better.

Plus it got to the point where ARow was almost an automatic out in the playoffs. While I'll miss the guy on the team...I really won't miss him in the batting order and think BA will fill in nicely.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Dye was our best overall OFer. 7.5M for Thome aint' s*** and he's not oft injured. He's had one injury plagued season.

Exactly. Considering the Sox paid Thomas $8.5 million last season plus a $3.5 million buyout, Thome is a bargain. He is far more likely to be able to play a full schedule.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
I love this trade from a baseball stand point...no doubt.  Hopefully gio is staying but even if he's not while giving up some good prospects I just absolutely love that we now have a left handed power bat in the middle of the order.  I've said before I'm going to go along with everything Kenny does this offseason, he's earned that imo.  I'm going to miss you Aaron...thanks for everything.  Welcome to Chicago Jim.

On a sidenote... I assume everyone is going to mourn as my soxtalk name will have to be retired.

keep it

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
If Thome is healthy, those figures are a steal. Doesn't he have 4 years left? I think his elbow will be fine, what concerns me is his 35 year old back. The other positive is Jim Thome is as high of character guy as there is in MLB.

His contract gives the Phillies a team option on him in 2009, presumably at something like the $14 million a year he was already earning. I believe that we'd have the same deal...where we could pick him up for a 4th, but expensive, year if we chose so.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I read somewhere the Angels are willing to go 5 years , $60 million for Konerko, not quite what Landis was looking for but pretty significant. The Sox have an excellent shot of re-signing him.

I think KW and Jerry would go 5/$60 for PK...actually not that unreasonable IMO.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Have no idea. Also, what about getting Huff?

I dunno.

He'd be a limited possibility if Konerko didn't re-sign.

I could see Baldelli going to Boston if Damon signs somewhere else.

Baldelli has a cult following in New England.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I read somewhere the Angels are willing to go 5 years , $60 million for Konerko, not quite what Landis was looking for but pretty significant. The Sox have an excellent shot of re-signing him.

I've heard those numbers rumored, but the only number I saw printed in the LA Times, who tends to have very good sources amongst the Angels, was a 4 year, roughly $40 million offer as a starting point.

Keep this in mind regarding the Angels - they have a free agent Catcher and 2 Free Agent Pitchers who are on the verge of departing. Furthermore, they have a lot already locked up in people, and a lot of people in arbitration this year.

The number the LAT gave for the Angels committed amounts was roughly $89 million. Their salary this year was just under $100 million. They may be looking to add some salary, but probably not a huge amount. That means that if they decide to make a run at Konerko, they have to be willing to start the season with Jose Molina as their catcher, with Josh Paul as the backup, and only 4 slots strongly filled on their starting rotation (counting Ervin Santana)

Furthermore...the Angels also have people coming up (Kotchman) who can play 1b, which may also limit what they'd be willing to spend on PK.

The Angels are a threat, but if we give Paulie what we feel he's worth, now that the Mets have Delgado...the only team I really see making a huge run at him could be the Dodgers (this of course could change depending on what happens with Manny)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
The Angels are a threat, but if we give Paulie what we feel he's worth, now that the Mets have Delgado...the only team I really see making a huge run at him could be the Dodgers (this of course could change depending on what happens with Manny)

I just couldn't see Paulie signing with the Dodgers....after the treatment he got there in his first major league season, if we are within $10 million of their offer, he'll be back with the Sox!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Not that I'm advocating getting Pierre, but would we be able to afford him and Konerko?

Off the books:

Frank: $8M

ARow: $3.25

Carl: $4M

I know I'm missing something else here...but giving Paulie $12M and Thome $6.25...the Sox are still $5.5 ahead going into arbitration with our other dudes.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Not that I'm advocating getting Pierre, but would we be able to afford him and Konerko?

I guess the obvious response is "That depends on what number the Chairman tells KW."

I keep going over the dollars in my head...ARow was on the $2 million level last season, Everett around $4 million. We'll be shelling out roughly $6 million next season for Thome...so the only difference in those 2 positions is whatever we spend on our Center Fielder.

Furthermore...with Thomas dropping from $8 million to a $3.5 million buyout...if Konerko were to get $12.5 million...those numbers would almost exactly balance each other out.

Therefore, at that level, the only salary increases we'd be seeing next year would be the increases that were owed to people due to their contracts, the buyout of Everett's contract, and whatever we end up doing with AJ, Garland, and Crede (arbitration).

So yeah, I think that the money may very well be there for Pierre if we really want him...but personally, I question the wisdom of trading for another major league outfielder when outfield is by far the deepest position in our minor leagues, especially since one of those guys is basically ML ready, and we lose another if we don't put him on the 25 man this year.

My gut tells me that if we really were going to make a push for Pierre...we'd have tried harder to include an outfield prospect in this deal to clear some space.