White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

why are people so down on this trade? we just traded a guy who will hit .280 with an OBP of .325 with 15 homers for a guy who will hit .270 with a .380 OBP and hit 30 homers conservatively....not to mention anderson next year will be the same damn player rowand was with maybe 20 pts fewer batting average

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is so quick to forget, with Everett and Big Frank not likely back, we have a gaping hole at DH, with no LH Power.

Now with Thome, that is no longer a problem. Trading from your strengths is always a smart thing to do.

Let me ask everyone a question. During last offseason, does ANYONE think that Philly would of traded Thome for Rowand? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Buy low, and sell high. KW executed this trade exactly in that model.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
this f***ing sucks. seriously

if it was opposite world, I would agree with you. This is a GREAT deal for us! They gave us cash and one of the best hitters in the game for the last 5 years, sounds good to me. Anderson will make everyone forget about A-row.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
No, on the trade, smartass.

Please don't make me go back and embarass you.

Know what, I don't care.

I'm feeling awfully good.  Go Pale Hose.

What because at first I was very upset about losing Rowand and now I'm starting to come around but still going over the pros and cons of the trade? Maybe you shouldn't have quoted me when I was talking about Thomas and not the trade. I don't think I'm the f***ing smartass.

QUOTE(traydragen @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Is Pierre that bad in the outfield to where we wouldn't want him batting behind Pods..I would be willing to give up a couple of balls that he couldn't get to just to have that deadly top of the order...I hope we get Pierre tonight. :P

When we start giving up 2 or 3 more runs a game that wouldn't be allowed with Anderson in CF you'll be rethinking your statement....

If Peirre was at least average defensively it wouldn't be that bad... But he sucks total ass...

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Our 2 best pitching prospects+our CF for a 35 year old 1B

It's a gamble, hopefuly it pays off

A 35 year old 1b...and a lot of cash to make that 35 year old 1b affordable.

Yes it is a gamble. But you don't win in baseball without gambling. Holding onto those 2 guys would have been a gamble too - gambling that Gio could stay healthy, for example. You just never know.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
We traded some depth, and killed 2 birds with one stone by getting a LH power at bat in the 3 hole. OMG though, we traded Rowand. We're soooooo going to finish in last place.

exactly...people need to put down the crack pipe and realize we just traded for a hitter that is better than konerko

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Only thing I don't like about getting Pierre to play CF is his arm...between Him and Pods noodle arms people will be running all day.....

Neither have good arms, but their gap-to-gap coverage may offset that deficiency since more fly balls could be turned into outs to begin with.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
if it was opposite world, I would agree with you.  This is a GREAT deal for us!  They gave us cash and one of the best hitters in the game for the last 5 years, sounds good to me.  Anderson will make everyone forget about A-row.

It must be bizarro world, because I actually agree with Rock for once :P

Great trade!

Despite the prospects its still Low Risk/High reward.

And yes Gio was my favorite minor leaguer...but I don't have to look any further than my 2005 Chicago White Sox to see that most great teams nowadays are not built from within.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
School me...why isn't it worth a shot?

Is Frank a better hitter than Ross Gload? Pablo Ozuna? Chris Widger?

Ross Gload can play 1B and maybe some OF. Ozuna can play anywhere and Widger can play Catcher and a mean 3B. Frank can DH.

Evertime you pinch hit with Frank you have to use another guy off the bench. So frank takes up 2 bench spots. No thanks.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Yeah, but he doesn't get to face Jim Parque anymore

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Good numbers as long as we keep in mind the pitching we had.  Those numbers seem pretty clutch to me.

Don't forget, he'll be facing the Royals & Tigers pitching 19 times at the Cell next year, too.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Haigwood?!?...BEST?!?  Would you have rather thrown Honel in the deal Willie?!?

WTF!?!? Honel has negative value at this point. He has been placed on waivers and noone claimed him. He's no longer a prospect, you're still stuck in 2003.