White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Gio is not official, but according to Bruce he will be the PTBNL. I'm hoping it turns out to be someone else.

Could it be one of those conditional PTBNL's, where it could be Gio but Thome has to hit like 45 home runs and play a full season for it to be him?

QUOTE(toasty @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
i do not like this trade if it means that pierre is next to the south side....

speed or not, we must NOT have a deffensive liability in cf!

With Jim Thome's bat in the lineup...I would not be concerned at all if Brian Anderson wound up as our regular CF next year.

Can Thome still play first base? Is it possible if Konerko goes elsewhere Frank will be back as the DH with Thome playing first. I really want to see Frank end his career in a White Sox uni but if Konerko signs it will be the end of Frank. Like the Podsednik deal we will have to wait and see how it works out but I have faith in KW after all we did just win the World Series. BA has better upside than Rowand imo. I think he should be the starting CF next year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
:pray  :pray

I usually dont care, I really dont, but this just makes are pitching depth look like s***.

In other words...we'll have to pick up 1 free agent pitcher next year or we'll have to hold onto Contreras (and of course, #56).

While we don't have huge depth in the upper minors if Gio goes, remember that Gio was at least 1-2 years away, and there's still concerns over whether or not he can stay healthy for a full year.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Can Thome still play first base? Is it possible if Konerko goes elsewhere Frank will be back as the DH with Thome playing first. I really want to see Frank end his career in a White Sox uni but if Konerko signs it will be the end of Frank. Like the Podsednik deal we will have to wait and see how it works out but I have faith in KW after all we did just win the World Series. BA has better upside than Rowand imo. I think he should be the starting CF next year.

Yes, Thome can play first base, but as with many guys who are that age, it should not be considered a wonderful option.

I doubt KW would have wanted the Phils to eat half his salary in exchange for better prospects if KW didn't have another goal in mind for that cash.

Steve Bartman's My Idol -

What would Frank do on the bench?  He can not play defense and he is not worth keeping around to pinch hit on an American League team.  DH = Yes / Pinch Hit = NO

3 man rotation, Paul, Thome, Frank. I'd rather have Frank coming up to pinch hit than Ozuna, Widger, Gload, etc.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Seriously... Worst defense in the league.... Great defensive prospect... and we need defense....

Unless Ozzie and KW became retards in the last month Pierre won't be coming here...

Maybe you should've taken Rowand44 for a new username when he offered it to you. Just because Rowand isn't on the team doesn't mean the defense will be the worst in the league. They won't even be the worst in their division. If Brian Anderson is our CF, then I'd say our defense is better considering he's a better defensive player and has a much stronger arm. So quit yo' b****in'!

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)

Having Frank over Konerko would be bad for the team but good for sentimental value.

Sentimental value ain't s***, I loved Frank Thomas but if I have to choose between him and Frank, give me Pauly.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
I have to say i am not too pleased w/ this deal. Not only that but doesn't this hurt the chemistry? THe 3 stooges are going to be heart broken. And will Pauly want to re-sign now? He was good friends with A-Row

Will Paulie want to resign if his protection in the lineup is Jim Thome? Thome stays healthy and right away Paulie gets 50 more pitches to hit a month.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
I just vomited in my throat... Lets see... Good defense in Anderson... Terrible offense if Pierre... For a defense based team... Not of mention the terrible one is going to cost more... Heck with that...

ANDERSON OR BUST!

Bruuuce is wrong more often than he is right!!!!!!

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
3 man rotation, Paul, Thome, Frank. I'd rather have Frank coming up to pinch hit than Ozuna, Widger, Gload, etc.

Not gonna happen. Frank is absolutely useless as a bench player. He's a DH and a DH off the bench has little value.

For those of you worried about the clubhouse chemistry... we didn't just trade for Barry Bonds (or even Frank Thomas for that matter). We traded for Jim Thome... a player considered one of the best clubhouse people ever.

Trust In KW. We are World Champs because of his offseason moves last year.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I have to say i am not too pleased w/ this deal. Not only that but doesn't this hurt the chemistry? THe 3 stooges are going to be heart broken. And will Pauly want to re-sign now? He was good friends with A-Row

LOL....that is soooooo cute :P The fact of the matter is baseball is a business, we all lose friends at our places of work. You guys are really being over sentimental about this. ARow will be missed but that is part of the game....

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
The Phillie fans are already speculating Rowand or CF Jason Michaels to the Yankees for 3b Eric Duncan.

If there is a God, please, don't put ARow on the Yankees. I would not be able to handle that..

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
For those of you worried about the clubhouse chemistry... we didn't just trade for Barry Bonds (or even Frank Thomas for that matter).  We traded for Jim Thome... a player considered one of the best clubhouse people ever.

Trust In KW.  We are World Champs because of his offseason moves last year.

Man, were people worried about clubhouse chemistry earlier in this thread? Yeah Crede might be a bit sad, but Jim Thome is an excellent clubhouse guy, especially if he contributes another 50 home runs.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
For those of you worried about the clubhouse chemistry... we didn't just trade for Barry Bonds (or even Frank Thomas for that matter).  We traded for Jim Thome... a player considered one of the best clubhouse people ever.

Trust In KW.  We are World Champs because of his offseason moves last year.

iirc thome won all sorts of outstanding citizen awards and all sorts of public service awards. i was listening to a radio station a few years ago and they asked 20 players who they enjoyed talking to most when they get to base and like 13 of em said thome and say that he is just about the nicest guy they have ever played with/against

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
I'm not liking all the talk I'm hearing of Rowand to the Yankees. It's reported in a few places now.

Probably would make sense...I could have swore that Philly has too many outfielders anyway.

Just think about this...at least we'd get the opportunity to give ARow a standing ovation every single time he came to the plate at the Cell for the rest of his career much more often if he was in the AL.