White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Removing Haigwood and Gonzalez from our system hurts our pitching status years from now. Confounding problems is within the next two years, nearly our entire rotation will be eligible for FA. Neither may have been pitching in 07 or 08, but by that time either they're regressing or on the brink of promotion.

At 2008, either our payroll should be hovering around 95 million or there better be several prospects (both pitching and hitting) ready to contribute. It's going to become difficult finding the funds to keep our rotation entact. Honestly, I don't mind Thome--but I'm weary of our club handing over these particular prospects.

Well I don't think Haigwood would've been anything with this team. As far as Gonzalez, he probably would've replaced Contreras if we didn't resign him after next year. With that said, KW will probably lock up the rotation when they're contracts are up. Basically KW is trying to win it all again next year.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
...and your just so quick to assume one of the premere leadoff hitters in the game is just going to give up his spot...

...and is it worth it to make our outfield defense one of the worst in the league for a #2 hitter we don't really need... Let alone we have no idea if a Pods clone will even be effective in the two hole...

Ozzie said he wanted more speed and a new #2 hitter. After telling KW he needed new players for 2005 to play his style of ball, and winning the WS, what Ozzie wants, he'll get.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Well I don't think Haigwood would've been anything with this team. As far as Gonzalez, he probably would've replaced Contreras if we didn't resign him after next year. With that said, KW will probably lock up the rotation when they're contracts are up. Basically KW is trying to win it all again next year.

And that's certainly not a bad thing to try to do. Put a winning team on the field next year...watch Konerko and Thome jersey sales go through the roof, make another playoff run, put 3 million fans in the seats, and then use that money to keep the team on top and the fan base growing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
I think the real key part of this is that it solves our DH problem in a cost-effective manner and reduces salary (assuming Anderson replaces Rowand in CF), thereby freeing up quite a bit of green that can be shoved in Konerko's way.

Think about this...we paid Carl Everett what, $4 million last season?  We paid Aaron rowand what, $2 million or so?  If you add up what those guys would make...that covers what we'll be paying of Thome's deal.  Which means that the money saved by dropping Thomas's salary with the buyout is now officially freed up - we're not committing $12 million to Delgado or antyhing like that.

...And it might give KW two options, if he can't sign Konerko, then he can try and re-sign Thomas.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Remember 1 thing...those who are talking about Pierre...the reason to get Pierre would be offense, not defense.  However, we just subtracted defense to get offense...but there's a reason why we could do that...because we have defense waiting in the winds in B.A.

So if you lose Defense (rowand) and gain Offense at a non-defensive position in DH. You have to replace Rowand's Defense in centerfield with more defense (Anderson). Wouldn't it hurt to add even more offense (Pierre) in place of that defense? Also this would make Anderson the 4th outfielder.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
How good of an CFer is Brian Anderson?  In theory, even Carl Everett could play Cf as he did with the Rangers.  But could BA be an average to above average CF?  I would hate to see them back off on BA in May and have Ozzie's buddy Timo as our new starting CF.

anderson will play over timo, no doubt. the one thing i question with anderson is his range which is certainly not as good as rowands....but his arm is +++.....one of the top OF arms in the minor leagues

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
We are getting close to breaking the site daily record of total users.

Trades'll do that. Jason engineered this trade because of the lack of visitors.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
How good of an CFer is Brian Anderson?  In theory, even Carl Everett could play Cf as he did with the Rangers.  But could BA be an average to above average CF?  I would hate to see them back off on BA in May and have Ozzie's buddy Timo as our new starting CF.

Tough to tell. Won't really lose much defensively. His bat is more of a question mark.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
anderson will play over timo, no doubt. the one thing i question with anderson is his range which is certainly not as good as rowands....but his arm is +++.....one of the top OF arms in the minor leagues

Good to know Anderson can play CF. Did he play CF in the minors?

I apologize Timo being the starting CF should be in green.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)

Tough to tell. Won't really lose much defensively. His bat is more of a question mark.

rowand only hit 12 homers with a crappy obp last year...i personally feel anderson will add more power, probably wont hit for as high an average as rowand at .270, but look for a crede like year out of anderson.....250ish with 15-20 HRs

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)

Aaron's bat was a bit of a question mark too...let's not forget he is coming off a very poor year with the bat.

And anywho...think of it this way...if Brian Anderson can hit .250 with 15 home runs, he's only a very small step down from Aaron Rowand. Some would also even say that Anderson is equal to or better than ARow in CF (we'll see). However, if Jim Thome can hit 40+ home runs like he has almost every year of his career except last year...how much of an upgrade is he over Carl Everett?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Good to know Anderson can play CF.  Did he play CF in the minors?

I apologize Timo being the starting CF should be in green.

yeah anderson played CF for charlotte and played there in birmingham too....i know alot of the scouts liked him better as a RF though...but the same thing was said about rowand when he first came up to the big leagues as well...in fact rowand started out as a corner guy and moved to center