Brian Anderson

HoosierSox

With Rowand gone now we lose a Gold Glove caliber CF IMO. I think that Anderson can put compareble numbers offensively with Rowand and maybe better. My question is is he an everyday CF. I have not seen him enough in the field to know what kind of jumps he gets and what kind of arm he has.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
With Rowand gone now we lose a Gold Glove caliber CF IMO. I think that Anderson can put compareble numbers offensively with Rowand and maybe better.  My question is is he an everyday CF. I have not seen him enough in the field to know what kind of jumps he gets and what kind of arm he has.

I think we might find out next season wether we like it or not.

Aaron Rowand's offensive numbers last year were nothing to write home about. Aaron Rowand's defense was very very good.

I don't think people get worse on defense when they come up to the big leagues. They can get worse with the bat, but they don't usually forget how to chase down a fly ball.

Anderson probably has more power than Rowand...similar speed, but may hit for a lower average, especially to start off.

Here, I think, is the reality...if Brian Anderson started off next season in AAA, it would be a waste of time for him. The arbitration clock has already started on him, and he wouldn't learn that much more down there.

It's time for B.A. to get his shot against big league pitching with a big league hitting coach and big league hitters all around him telling him what he's doing wrong. Yes, he's going to strike out a lot, but so did Aaron Rowand. It would not be a stretch at all to say that B.A.'s numbers at the plate next year could beat ARow's numbers at the plate this year.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
you take your once a month pill this morning?

I've thought this for awhile, and have posted it before. Next year, yes. This year, I don't think he will be that good offensively, probably worse than ARow last year.

But this is just my opinion.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
I've thought this for awhile, and have posted it before.  Next year, yes.  This year, I don't think he will be that good offensively, probably worse than ARow last year.

But this is just my opinion.

Even if Anderson is worse than ARow was last year...what exactly is that saying?

ARow hit .270 with 13 home runs. ARow had an OPS of .736. ARow walked 32 times all season.

Yes, those were down numbers for Aaron, but we won with him doing them.

B.A. supposedly has more power than Aaron, but has the same sorts of strikeout problems as Aaron. Let's say that B.A. has more trouble adapting and hits .230-.240 with something like 15-20 home runs (Crede numbers). He may generate just a little bit less offense than Aaron did last season.

That, my friend, is why we just issued that thunderstorm warning for the right field stands. If B.A. is, in his first year, a downgrade from Aaron offensively, the downgrade won't be huge, and meanwhile, we just added a guy who if he's healthy will give us somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 home runs, 100+ walks, 120 or so RBI's, and be a dynamite presence right next to (God and KW Willing) Konerko.

Even if B.A. still has things to learn...he can learn them just as well in the big leagues, and it won't be hurting our lineup one bit.

Fact is Anderson is our only choice left...

His defense if good... Is it AROW good? Thats debatable... But it's sure as a hell alot better then Scott Podsednik... or god forbid the overpaid overhyped Juan Peirre...

He's not Juan P... and thats good enough for me to be honest...

Brian Anderson or bust...

I'm just glad we did trade AROW in a smart deal... and not just giving him away for crap we didn't need...

Can Brian Anderson steal a base, can he steal 15-20 a season like Aaron can and is his play in CF really that similiar to Rowand's, if not better like I have been hearing?

Is stealing 16 bases really that big of a deal? Anderson has decent speed and that's really not a ton of stolen bases. Hell, Dye is slow and managed to steal 11 bases.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:01 AM)
Is stealing 16 bases really that big of a deal?  Anderson has decent speed and that's really not a ton of stolen bases.  Hell, Dye is slow and managed to steal 11 bases.

Anderson has real good speed. The guy can honestly fly, when I saw him run in person it took me a bit by surprised, I knew he could run but I wasn't expecting him to be that fast.