Chris Young/Brian Anderson

MarlinFan84

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
We are still trying to trade Juan Pierre, and the ChiSawx were one of the potential suitors. 

I have heard good things about both of these guys, and would love to have either of them.  What are the chances that we could pry one of them away?

before the thome trade a very good chance, now i don't see that happening

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
We are still trying to trade Juan Pierre, and the ChiSawx were one of the potential suitors. 

I have heard good things about both of these guys, and would love to have either of them.  What are the chances that we could pry one of them away?

Hopefully zero.

I did not see where KW said he wasn't interested in Pierre.

If we take the emotion out of it for a moment, the Sox have 4 very good OF prospects. One I would say is ready to contribute (Anderson) and the other three are a year away (Owens, Sweeney, Young). The caveat here is Owens "may" be ready to contribute this year.

So you have 4 OF prospects and Chris Young seems to get the most pub in terms of upside. What does this mean? One could easily be traded and I hope the board isn't shocked if or when it happens.

I am a little biased here ... I think if you ultimately have an OF of Owens-Young-Sweeney in left center right respectively, you've got a damn good group. Speed, power, OBP, hitting for average, defense, it's all there.

Very tough to break in 3 young guys all at once though, let alone 4 within 2 years, if the arrival timeline is close to accurate.

Additionally, I'm not that impressed with Anderson. That goes against the grain of certain minor league experts on this site who have seen him play a few times (so have I). Doesn't mean I'm right and they're not, far from it. It's only an opinion. I'm rooting for Anderson, by all accounts a good guy and a promising prospect. But personally I am nowhere near as impressed by him as the other three. I think Anderson is eminently tradeable but again that's just me. So before anyone flames me on this, it's just my opinion.

If they keep Anderson I hope he's the rookie of the year. It's all about the name on the front of the jersey for me, not the back.

I am a little biased here ... I think if you ultimately have an OF of Owens-Young-Sweeney in left center right respectively, you've got a damn good group.  Speed, power, OBP, hitting for average, defense, it's all there.

I agree on speed, OBP, hitting for average, and defense but right now only Young would have any power in that outfield. Owens has zero power and while Sweeney is projected to show some power eventually, he hasn't yet.

while Sweeney is projected to show some power eventually, he hasn't yet.

You are right, and that's why it's so difficult to judge prospects.

I doubt there's anyone here who is as high on Sweeney as me, so again, I am biased about his potential because I see something really special there. He's battled some annoying injuries which have hampered his hitting and he still did really well for a 20 yr. old in AA.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
You are right, and that's why it's so difficult to judge prospects.

I doubt there's anyone here who is as high on Sweeney as me, so again, I am biased about his potential because I see something really special there. He's battled some annoying injuries which have hampered his hitting and he still did really well for a 20 yr. old in AA.

i love the kid's chances and would be very depress if he is traded. i like it when last yr he almost made the cut. i read all i could since the day he was drafted. so i been waiting to see what comes of it.

i have had a feeling since the emergence of young, anderson was expendable and will likey get traded. however the rex and randar to name a few have more knowledge on the minors and i will give way to their opinion.

i have had a feeling since the emergence of young, anderson was expendable and will likey get traded. however the rex and randar to name a few have more knowledge on the minors and i will give way to their opinion.

Rex does, yes.

Gosh, I'm still inclined to think Owens gets every chance in the world to "win" that CF position. Remember: what Ozzie wants, Ozzie gets. He's gone on record saying he loves the way Owens plays the game and, in my opinion, I think that may be the cat Ozzie has fingered within the organization as the answer for the CF vacancy and want for a "speedy, plate-disciplined" two-hole hitter.

I'm sure Kenny has a big star next to King Chris' name on the 5 Year Big Board as someone that will come up within the next year or two and settle down into the CF position just waiting for him with the Big League club.

Really, I think it's just a question of who's going to keep the seat warm for him. I don't think Ozzie may be sold on Anderson and barring any moves, if I had to guess, Owens may go into ST as the favorite for the 06' CF spot.

QUOTE(LDF @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
i love the kid's chances and would be very depress if he is traded. i like it when last yr he almost made the cut. i read all i could since the day he was drafted. so i been waiting to see what comes of it.

Well, is Anderson expendable? Not really now that Rowand has been traded. That said, if Borchard wins the CF job and Young shows himself to be on the cust of stardom that start of 2006, then I would venture to say Anderson is expendable in a deal.

I think you can't risk it at this point unless any deal you make brings a stud CF'er in.

Also keep in mind who drafted Anderson and who has been one of his biggest fans since he was at Arizona... some guy named Kenny...

On a different note, on the Sox WS DVD anderson screams like a little girl when PODS hits the Walk off HR. He sounds like puberty has not quite hit, makes for some good comedy.

Also, since he recognized that PODS's shot was a goner off the bat, and it took A-row about 5 seconds, shows that Anderson is better at judging hits than A-row. :P

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Also, since he recognized that PODS's shot was a goner off the bat, and it took A-row about 5 seconds, shows that Anderson is better at judging hits than A-row. :P

The real question is "who took the better route to home plate?" :drink

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
On a different note, on the Sox WS DVD anderson screams like a little girl when PODS hits the Walk off HR.  He sounds like puberty has not quite hit, makes for some good comedy.

I saw that clip that night and have been quoting it ever since. Replayed it like a dozen times...their reactions are just absolutely freaking classic. BA with the "OH MY GOD!", Rowand responds with "No way, No, No Way" and then the ball lands.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Gosh, I'm still inclined to think Owens gets every chance in the world to "win" that CF position.  Remember: what Ozzie wants, Ozzie gets.

Not necessarily. Ozzie wanted Omar Vizquel last year, and he wanted him bad. He wanted a great defensive SS who could bat in the #2 hole. Ozzie may have gotten them both, but not by the means he wanted.

Guillen may want Pierre, but he's more likely to settle for Owens sometime in June/July as a 4th outfielder (after the Human Borch finally has seen his last day in a White Sox uni) and he's grown tired of Tim0-5.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Not necessarily. Ozzie wanted Omar Vizquel last year, and he wanted him bad. He wanted a great defensive SS who could bat in the #2 hole. Ozzie may have gotten them both, but not by the means he wanted.

Guillen may want Pierre, but he's more likely to settle for Owens sometime in June/July as a 4th outfielder (after the Human Borch finally has seen his last day in a White Sox uni) and he's grown tired of Tim0-5.

There is no way anyone is going to tell me that Jerry Owens is a better option than Brian Anderson. Anderson >>>> Owens defensively and offensively Anderson has far more upside.

I'm not knocking Owens, I'm just setting one thing straight. He will not be a starter with the White Sox this year and quite frankly if people were worried about what Pierre/Pods would look like in left and center, than you should be even more worried because Pierre is better defensively than Owens (not by a lot, but he's better).

Owens would be a solid to good LF, but at this point I'd call him a mediocre (at best) center fielder.

Owens ought to be the fourth OFer this year. The way Ozzie uses his backups, Owens will get his fair share of ABs. You can spell him in CF for Anderson against tough righties, and in LF early on in the season to keep Podsednik's legs fresh.

Owens will probably be an upgrade over Timo last year (scratch that -- he will be an upgrade over Timo).

BTW -- again -- I know most of you guys aren't fond of the ZiPS Projections, but here's Owens' line: 288/344/347. If he can do that for us, we have a nice fourth OF'er who can be relied upon. Heck, if that's his rookie year line, move out of the way in '07, Scott Pods...

Edited by CWSGuy406