Paulie's offer

LDF

according to the trib several teams have finally offer money to paulie. it appears as angels reportedly offer 4/50 for 12 mil a yr and bal has offered 5/60 for 12 mil a yr as well.

so now we know what the money is.

thome has said

"I put a call into him this weekend," Thome said at his news conference at U.S. Cellular Field. "We have not talked. For me, it's important. I've known Paulie a long time. ... For me, I wanted him to know from my end to come back, please. That's a big thing

The Sox already have 14 players under contract for 2006 at a cash obligation at about $57.725 million
Edited by LDF

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

here is the article

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

November 29, 2005

In one of his first acts as a member of the White Sox, slugger Jim Thome placed a call over the weekend to free agent Paul Konerko to implore him to re-sign with the Sox.

But that was just the latest in a series of developments that have accelerated the pursuit of the top slugger on the free-agent market.

Rick Hahn, the Sox's assistant general manager, said at Monday's news conference that talks with Konerko's agent are "ongoing" but declined to elaborate on the nature of discussions.

Meanwhile, Konerko has received four-year offers at around $50 million from both Baltimore and the Los Angeles Angels, according to reports in Tuesday's editions of the Baltimore Sun and Los Angeles Times.

Konerko, 29, is scheduled to visit Angels officials later this week, the Times reported. The Orioles, albeit a long shot to land Konerko because of his preference to attend spring training in Arizona and to play for a playoff-contending team, are expected to raise their offer to five years and $60 million, the Sun reported.

The Sox, and Thome, in particular, expressed a sense of urgency in retaining their slugger who hit .283 with 40 home runs and 100 RBIs during the season and had five homers and 15 RBIs in leading the Sox to their first World Series title in 88 years.

"I put a call into him this weekend," Thome said at his news conference at U.S. Cellular Field. "We have not talked. For me, it's important. I've known Paulie a long time. ... For me, I wanted him to know from my end to come back, please. That's a big thing.

"He's a great, great guy and would be a wonderful teammate. I want to be part of that with him. We'll connect, I'm sure. He's had a lot going on, and vice versa."

The Sox are willing to expand last year's $75 million payroll to accommodate the re-signing of Konerko nd would like to resolve Konerko's status by the end of the annual winter meetings in Dallas on Dec. 8.

"We've had ongoing good dialogue with Craig [Landis]," Hahn said of Konerko's agent.

GM Ken Williams wasn't at Thome's news conference because of kidney stones, but he already has said the Sox will offer salary arbitration to Konerko on Dec. 7. Konerko, however, is likely to command a contract of at least four years and at least $50 million.

Last January, the Sox stretched their player payroll to accommodate second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, who signed a two-year, $4.95 million contract. But the stakes are greater with Konerko. The Sox already have 14 players under contract for 2006 at a cash obligation at about $57.725 million.

That doesn't include arbitration-eligible players Jon Garland, A.J. Pierzynski and Joe Crede.

If the Sox can re-sign Konerko, it would give them some financial certainty. They also could attain more financial flexibility if they backload Konerko's contract.

"We have irons in the fire, but Paul Konerko is the priority," Hahn stressed.

If Konerko signs elsewhere, the Sox would pursue other options they've already discussed.

One could be to move right fielder Jermaine Dye to first base, thereby opening an outfield spot for the speedy No. 2 hitter manager Ozzie Guillen prefers.

The acquisition of Thome doesn't diminish the pursuit of a No. 2 hitter, Hahn said.

"Jim's addition helps and addresses a very big need and priority for us," Hahn said. "That being said, there are some other things we'd like to do."

If Konerko does not return, the Sox could put left-handed hitter Ross Gload at first base or acquire a first baseman through trade or free agency.

Trading Aaron Rowand to Philadelphia as part of the Thome deal opens center field for 2003 No. 1 pick Brian Anderson, but that could change, especially if Konerko doesn't return.

Switch-hitting outfielder Joe Borchard, the Sox's top pick in 2000, is out of options and his days with the organization appear numbered. Thome was given jersey No. 25, which was recently worn by Borchard.

The Sox also are looking for a left-handed-hitting backup infielder as insurance at third base, given Crede's tender back.

mgonzales@tribune.com

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
On Rotoworld, they said the Angels offered 5-years at $60 million, citing the LA Times.

They quote the Boston Globe who report that the Angels, Orioles and White Sox have all offered 5 year deals.

---First I've heard that the White Sox will go 5 years. I wonder what the hooks, buy outs and deferrals look like. I can't picture JR going that long without some type of escape clause.

At 29, he would be younger than Thome at the end of this contract. I don't have a problem going 5 with Paul, depending on the total dollars. I was expecting 4/$52-$55 so 5/for about the same dollars seems reasonable.

Of course he should be offering a home town discount and is he doesn't sign he's a greedy asshole.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
Those really aren't nearly as big as was rumored.  This could be a very good thing for us.

Yeah really. I feel much better now. I'm just afraid Paulie wants to live in California. He seems to be a whimp for Chicago weather.

Come on Paulie, get er done!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
Yeah really.  I feel much better now.  I'm just afraid Paulie wants to live in California.  He seems to be a whimp for Chicago weather.

Come on Paulie, get er done!

Yeah, he couldn't afford two homes on that salary

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)

Yeah, he couldn't afford two homes on that salary

But he wants to live somewhere year round, I believe. At my batting practice experience, I recommended Stickney, but surprisingly, he didn't seem too interested. Weird.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
So basically its come down to us and LAAAAAA going to try and outbid each other. Suprise, Suprise..... who didnt see this coming?

that's what makes me nervous. he seems to be interested in living there. No offense to you people who live in California, but I don't see why anyone would want to live there.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
They quote the Boston Globe who report that the Angels, Orioles and White Sox have all offered 5 year deals. 

---First I've heard that the White Sox will go 5 years.  I wonder what the hooks, buy outs and deferrals look like.  I can't picture JR going that long without some type of escape clause.

so the sox finally has put the money on the table. i hope it is true and i hope the money is fair and the sox trying to low ball him.

QUOTE(LDF @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
so the sox finally has put the money on the table. i hope it is true and i hope the money is fair and the sox trying to low ball him.

If the Sox offer is indeed 4 yrs/52 million (as was reported), I'd say they're far from low balling him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
The only thing that scares me with Boston is them screwing up the asking price. I really dont think Paul has any desire to play for Boston,and thats why im not taking the O's rumors to heart. However, if Boston does unload Manny to lets say the Mets, then Boston goes ga ga over Paul, even if Paul doesnt want to go there, if Boston makes him an offer of 5/67, it could screw everything up.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.....

Paulie would be a fool to go to Boston. He's not going to put up Manny-like numbers and the Fenway fanatics would eat him alive.

Lets see the Angels offered 4/ 50 million (12.5 / year)

The Orioles offered 5/60 million (12/year)

We had reportedly offered 4/52 million ( 13/year)- Thats the highest offer so far and with this being his team for the last 7 seasons I like our chances of us keeping him. If that 5th year is a concern than offer a player option with incentives.

My only concerned left now is Boston! They tend to spend ALOT of money on free agents. However, if we can lock Pauly down before Boston makes an offer he's back in black! Lets hope that Manny thing doesn't get figured out for a long time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
The only thing that scares me with Boston is them screwing up the asking price. I really dont think Paul has any desire to play for Boston,and thats why im not taking the O's rumors to heart. However, if Boston does unload Manny to lets say the Mets, then Boston goes ga ga over Paul, even if Paul doesnt want to go there, if Boston makes him an offer of 5/67, it could screw everything up.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.....

Agreed 100 percent here. Paul will not go to Boston but they could drive up his market.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Lets see the Angels offered 4/ 50 million (12.5 / year)

The Orioles offered 5/60 million (12/year)

We had reportedly offered 4/52 million ( 13/year)- Thats the highest offer so far and with this being his team for the last 7 seasons I like our chances of us keeping him. If that 5th year is a concern than offer a player option with incentives.

My only concerned left now is Boston! They tend to spend ALOT of money on free agents. However, if we can lock Pauly down before Boston makes an offer he's back in black! Lets hope that Manny thing doesn't get figured out for a long time.

If Paulie resigns with us, 'Back in Black' should be his theme song.