What did Bruce Levine speculate on ?

spiderman

I don't like the idea of Mueller as a utility man...I think Pablo proved pretty well to me that there are decent backup options out there for less money if you're willing to look. I also think that's a lot of money for a backup...and there are enough teams that would probably give Mueller a starting role that I doubt it'll happen anyway (would he really be a downgrade for the Twins?)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the report again. Bruce Levine said that the Dodgers and Twins are both also interested in Mueller. He said that the Sox want Mueller to back up 3B, 2B, and 1B and get 400-500 at bats. He would also serve as protection for Crede and his bad back.

I would like this signing because we would have a great starting 3rd baseman if Crede misses time and we would also be screwing over the Twins. :D

Edited by SSH2005

Getting a muller or randa is very vital to this season and the future. If you look at it this way Joe Crede's back is not problem. You all saw what he did when he came back from dl and if he was suffering then no one was telling us about problem. I believe that since his agent is Scot Boras that price of a Joe Crede stock will be sky rocket come 2006 free agency. Muller contract will be more than 1 yr and that will be our future 3b.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
Getting a muller or randa is very vital to this season and the future. If you look at it this way Joe Crede's back is not problem. You all saw what he did when he came back from dl and if he was suffering then no one was telling us about problem. I believe that since his agent is Scot Boras that price of a Joe Crede stock will be sky rocket come 2006 free agency. Muller contract will be more than 1 yr and that will be our future 3b.

If Crede goes elsewhere, Josh Fields will be our future 3B.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
I don't like the idea of Mueller as a utility man...I think Pablo proved pretty well to me that there are decent backup options out there for less money if you're willing to look.  I also think that's a lot of money for a backup...and there are enough teams that would probably give Mueller a starting role that I doubt it'll happen anyway (would he really be a downgrade for the Twins?)

Ozuna's main role next year will likely be as speed guy off the bench in order to run for Thome, Konerko, or AJP late in the game. Also, if we bring back Timo, then he'll likely be the back-up LF against tough lefties.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
I think Ozuna is also our backup shortstop.

UM NO....that would be Jermaine Dye! :P

Yes, Ozuna will be the SS in case something happens with Uribe. I just think it's very important with the slow pokes on our team that there's someone with a lot of speed on the bench. Willie won't be back, so there goes one option.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
I don't like the idea of Mueller as a utility man...I think Pablo proved pretty well to me that there are decent backup options out there for less money if you're willing to look.  I also think that's a lot of money for a backup...and there are enough teams that would probably give Mueller a starting role that I doubt it'll happen anyway (would he really be a downgrade for the Twins?)

I really like this idea of Mueller as the utility guy (assuming he buys into it) because even though Mueller is not a GG guy at 3rd, I cringed everytime Ozuna played there last year. If Crede goes on the DL at some point this year, would you rather have Pablo or Mueller at 3B. In addition, Mueller handles the bat very well which would slot him into the 2 hole when he plays allowing Gooch to swing away lower in the order. A Mueller signing would make this an amazing off-season for KW IMO.

If the right move comes around the White Sox would be stupid to not trade Crede... Back trouble, history of huge slumps during the season...

Sure we'd be slightly less on defense but we would have a much more consistant bat... Besides that KW would be stupid to give him more then a 1 year contract since he hasn't proved he will ever hit more then .240 consistantly in the regular season...

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
I heard the report again.  Bruce Levine said that the Dodgers and Twins are both also interested in Mueller.  He said that the Sox want Mueller to back up 3B, 2B, and 1B and get 400-500 at bats.  He would also serve as protection for Crede and his bad back.

I would like this signing because we would have a great starting 3rd baseman if Crede misses time and we would also be screwing over the Twins.  :D

He wouldn't get anywhere near 400-500 ABs as a backup would he? Even if he played a couple of times a week. I mean even Juan only had 481 last year. This isn't really directed at you, just thinking out loud.

He wouldn't get anywhere near 400-500 ABs as a backup would he? Even if he played a couple of times a week. I mean even Juan only had 481 last year. This isn't really directed at you, just thinking out loud.

I think if the Sox are seriously looking to sign Bill Mueller, the health of Crede's back must not be looking too good.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
I think if the Sox are seriously looking to sign Bill Mueller, the health of Crede's back must not be looking too good.

Since when is a couple of herniated discs in the lower back not looking too good?

Seriously though, isn't that what has been reported? Isn't this the condition he is sufferring from? I believe this is what I have heard, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Since when is a couple of herniated discs in the lower back not looking too good?

Seriously though, isn't that what has been reported? Isn't this the condition he is sufferring from? I believe this is what I have heard, but I could be wrong.

One would hope that he would get that operated on as soon as the offseason hit, but what do I know.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)

You would think that would be the case. It's strange that we didn't hear anything about it in the playoffs though. I'm kind of leary about signing a guy like Mueller though, because if you do, someobody is probably going to be pissed off if they all stay healthy for the year. I would imagine neither Bill or Joe plans on having less than 450+ at bats this year, and if they are both healthy, even with a DL stint or two, that would just be impossible to make happen.

Bill Mueller does NOT like to bat #2, was unhappy doing so in boston, granted he would be utility.....

but if he has to accept a utility role, and isnt sure about it, then i say no.... harkens back to the day when KW would try to get the best position player he could and say OK youre gonna be utility/bench, rather than find the best fit for utility guy and what we need...

see Brian Daubach

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
One would hope that he would get that operated on as soon as the offseason hit, but what do I know.

That is correct about his injury, Hoever, with proper therapy most disc problems do not need surgery. I don't know the extent of his injury but it is entirely possible that he will not need it. Hermanson's injury was obviously much worse because he could not pitch with it. Crede only needed minimal time off for the back. The time he missed with the fractured finger helped his back, so he may have needed more time if the finger injury hadn't happened.

Bill Mueller does NOT like to bat #2, was unhappy doing so in boston, granted he would be utility.....

but if he has to accept a utility role, and isnt sure about it, then i say no.... harkens back to the day when KW would try to get the best position player he could and say OK youre gonna be utility/bench, rather than find the best fit for utility guy and what we need...

see Brian Daubach

I don't care if Mueller likes to bat #2 or not. With a .295 AVG and .369 OBP, he would be best suited for that spot in the lineup regardless of not having much speed. Batting him 8th would be a waste of his OBP.

Edited by SSH2005

exactly...except for the randa part.

Mueller won't be with the white sox. It would make more sense if the sox got someone who could play a solid 3b as well as another position. Mueller only plays 3b. Paying Mueller $4 mill a yr as Crede insurance makes little sense, esp as he can't play somewhere else in the field

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Mueller won't be with the white sox. It would make more sense if the sox got someone who could play a solid 3b as well as another position. Mueller only plays 3b. Paying Mueller $4 mill a yr as Crede insurance makes little sense, esp as he can't play somewhere else in the field

I'm going to throw Sean Burroughs' hat into the mix. Thoughts on him, beck and Jim?

Although he has mostly played 3B in his shot career, the transition to 1B is quite logical, and documented as rather easy for most big-leaguers. He is making a little over $1.5M this season and in my humblest of opinoins, can be hand for Damaso Marte straight-up. Take a look at the Padres' left-handed situation...it's dreadful.

Yes, that kid they drafted last year is on the fast-track to the bigs, but Damaso Marte is proven MLB talent.

You trade for Burroughs, you sign Myers--who is dynamite against lefties.

Honestly, I want thoughts on this.