Castillo to the Twins

SoxFan562004

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Solid move for them IMO.

Stewart and Castillo 1-2 is going to an annyoing punch at the top of there lineup.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
That sucks.  He's a good pickup.

Agreed and agreed. The good thing is they still have no punch in the heart of their order.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Agreed and agreed.  The good thing is they still have no punch in the heart of their order.

That makes some assumptions about the performance of Mauer and Morneau not improving which I doubt will be proven right in the end.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Peter Gammons is reporting on ESPN radio that the deal is done.

Twins get:  Luis Castillo

Marlins get:  minor leaguers Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler

Anyone know anything about those 2? Please tell me the Twins are trading pitching away. I'm so sick of them magically making these 96 mph+ fireballers appear out of no where.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245065

Marlins trade Castillo to Twins for two pitchers

The Florida Marlins have traded Luis Castillo to the Minnesota Twins for pitchers Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Friday.

The 24-year-old Bowyer, who appeared in eight games in September for Minnesota, could become Florida's closer.

Castillo hit .301 with with 10 stolen bases, 30 RBI and four home runs in 122 with the 2005 Marlins.

He follows Carlos Delgado and Josh Beckett, who have been shipped out in the Marlins' fire sale.

The team has received permission from Major League Baseball to begin looking for another home because it has been unable to reach a deal for a new stadium in South Florida.

Anyone know anything about those 2?  Please tell me the Twins are trading pitching away.  I'm so sick of them magically making these 96 mph+ fireballers appear out of no where.

They have pretty good minor league numbers:

Travis Bowyer

Scott Tyler

Pierre will be the next to go.

Edited by SSH2005

I haven't heard much on those pitchers. They have so many good youn gpitchers its sick and these were certainly not at the top of their list (Baker and Liriano I believe would be). Great trade for the Twins. Great defender, solid hitter. I think he'll run better this year if his hip is all the way back. Doesn't strike out at all, walks a ton. Great move by them. I think Morneau is going to bounce back big and I think Mauer will get some MVP talk this year if the Twins contend for first. That said-what was said about them needing another bopper is totally correct. This was a better move than trading for Alfonso Soriano though

A much, much better trade for them. Castillo fits the Twins' ideology -- good contact hitter, good speed, and great defense. Soriano is the most overrated player in the MLB. He's strikes out a ton, doesn't get on base, and he's a hack at second base.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
With their top of the order set, and pretty good pitching from top to bottom, I think the Twins are a slugger away from making the Indians a 3rd place team in '06.  Just a hunch.

I don't even know if it'd take that...they'd just need a good season from Morneau. If the Indians lose significant amounts of pitching and can't replace it, they could take a step back next year (They could also take another step forward if their offense becomes more consistent)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't even know if it'd take that...they'd just need a good season from Morneau.  If the Indians lose significant amounts of pitching and can't replace it, they could take a step back next year (They could also take another step forward if their offense becomes more consistent)

Morneau's swing, unless changed, will never allow him to put together a good season. I've never seen a high fastball or inside slider he could hit.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=53976

I really feel bad for the Fish fans right now. Yes, I know, they have no fans that support them, but this group of a couple thousand do support them, and live and die by the Fish just like we do for the Sox.

No doubt, this s*** has to be hard as hell on the diehards.

This is an example of forsaking players from a position of strength. Twins can afford to give up these arms.

However, Florida should have asked for Rincon or Crain.

The Marlins want cheap prospects, not guys who will be earning big raises soon.

The Marlins are going to be the N.L. version of the Royals now, except they will be better because they will actually play their young prospects instead of signing and starting washed-up veterans. :P

Edited by SSH2005

I will tell you what, I would have loved to make this deal last season. Castillo is seriously more valuable IMO than Pierre. He is a better contact hitter and is more consistent, also a better defender. If he was had for 2 minor leaguers, why cant someone get pierre for the same price?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=53976

I really feel bad for the Fish fans right now. Yes, I know, they have no fans that support them, but this group of a couple thousand do support them, and live and die by the Fish just like we do for the Sox.

Same here. I mean, I felt like s*** when Rowand left here.. I can't even imagine how the Marlin fans feel with just about everyone on their team leaving.

I will tell you what, I would have loved to make this deal last season.  Castillo is seriously more valuable IMO than Pierre.  He is a better contact hitter and is more consistent, also a better defender.  If he was had for 2 minor leaguers, why cant someone get pierre for the same price?

Because there are decent second basemen available like Graffanino and Grudzielanek. Meanwhile, the market for good center fielders is slim. That's why Rowand had pretty good trade value. I could see the Marlins waiting for Johnny Damon to sign before they trade Pierre. Then they will try to gouge a team of their prospects for him.