Angels & Sox looking at Crawford

That funky motion

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
encrypted in the message above is Kenny Williams cell phone numer... a friend told me that a friend told my other friend that all we have to do is call Kenny by cracking this code and we will then be able to trade 50 rolls of sourdough bread to tampa for Crawford..... all you math wizz nerds.... get crackin!!!!!!

I think i cracked it.... Better start making that bread

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
encrypted in the message above is Kenny Williams cell phone numer... a friend told me that a friend told my other friend that all we have to do is call Kenny by cracking this code and we will then be able to trade 50 rolls of sourdough bread to tampa for Crawford..... all you math wizz nerds.... get crackin!!!!!!

:lolhitting :notworthy

In case I haven't said this yet... dude, you are hilarious.

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
It's going to take a lot more than a few mid-tier prospects to get Crawford.  The Sox had to give up Carlos Lee to get Podsednik, and Crawford, IMO, is a step above Podsednik.  I'm sure the Yankees or Cubs would bid pretty high to get him in CF.  Still, if KW somehow pulls it off, this would be the move of a very impressive offseason.  His contract at $5-$6 million per for a player of his calibre entering his prime is a steal.

You quoted an interesting trade, and left out an important part... The money factor. A lot of times if teams are willing to pick up a chunk of payroll, the will have to give up less in players. That was the case with the Carlos Lee trade, and it is possibility for a Crawford deal.

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
It's going to take a lot more than a few mid-tier prospects to get Crawford.  The Sox had to give up Carlos Lee to get Podsednik, and Crawford, IMO, is a step above Podsednik.  I'm sure the Yankees or Cubs would bid pretty high to get him in CF.  Still, if KW somehow pulls it off, this would be the move of a very impressive offseason.  His contract at $5-$6 million per for a player of his calibre entering his prime is a steal.

That was an addition by subtraction. To everyone in the outside world, at the time of the trade, the Sox got fleeced by giving up way too much and getting only Pods and Viz in return. What they didn't take into account was the clubhouse cancer that was Carlos Lee with his my-stats-first attitude and the money it freed up to sign other valuable pieces.

Now, Lee for Crawford would have been fair but TB probably wants to dump some payroll so they will look for a boatload of prospects, including a 3B and that is why we are in the discussions.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Crawford is perfect for the White Sox at #2.  But I seriously doubt the Rays are actively looking to trade what is now arguably the biggest name on their team.

At the same time, they're not running to lock him up with a long term deal either.

Could be because he already is ;) :

Carl Crawford: deal for 2005 season worth 370K was renewed on 3/11/05- + he could earn 20K in bonuses for reaching 500PA- + signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes- + as part of the deal, he will donate up to 400K to the Rays of Hope Foundation- + if traded, he receives a bonus worth up to 800K Agent: Brain Peters MLB Service: 2.072

Any other talk about this rumor? All we have is that mlbtraderumors.com source, and quite frankly i don't think its too reliable. TB are going to ask for the moon if they are going to trade Crawford. He is the face of their organization. They are definitely going to ask for starting pitching, Anderson and Fields. YIKES!

The Mak trade makes several White Sox players expendable to put together a pkg for Crawford.

Let's look at what's left on the contract:

$13M/3, or $22M/4, or $32-33.5M/5

2005 .301A/15HR/81RBI/101R/46

They say any player than makes it into the 100 club (R or RBI) is worth

at least $6M/yr. So if Crawford continues his current level of play he's worth his contract over 5 yrs.

But because the contract undervalues his worth over the next 4 yrs it adds substantially to his trade value. The Rays will be looking for players in return that can fill current holes in exchange for Crawford.

So let's look at their holes: (They have so many)

2B: Harris would be an upgrade over Green

CF: Anderson or Owens : Rays would likely be allowed to pick

3B: It's not a hole with what Cantu' has done.

1B: Gload looks attractive here.

RF: If they are trading Crawford they have to keep Huff.

LF: Gathright would take over CF & Anderson or Owens to LF.

Pitching-wise? They are embarrasment to the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/tam/stat...fied=0&sort=136

Not only did their starters fail to keep the other team from scoring but they failed to eat up innings as well. They might have the greatest needs in this area in all of MLB. That means the White Sox shouldn't have to give up great arms to get Crawford. No Garland & no BMac. Maybe El Duque & cash.

Looking at the needs of the Rays the White Sox certainly have what it takes to pry Crawford away. Kenny, get it done.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
:lolhitting  :notworthy

In case I haven't said this yet... dude, you are hilarious.

thanks man, i guess this means there are at least 2 people on this board who know this trade smells like dog s***.

=P

That's fine, but they're not asking for Tracey. McCarthy is their request. I doubt that "or" exists in trade negotiations.

Too bad we don't live on the East Coast, where Fields could be boasted as the next great 3B of our generation.  Only needless hype would convince teams to include him as a major part of any trade.

i agree. i hate espn with all my soul. especially kurkjan

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I have to disagree with you Juggernaut, I think the D-rays will be looking for much more than you suggested.

Maybe Duque and Fields for Crawford.  I don't think the are going to give up a quality young player just to dump a little salary.  They aren't that broke.

Why would they want Duque? Start the package with McCarthy and you'll be looking at it a lot more realistically.

^^^ They have Crawford, Huff, Baldelli, Gathright, and Gomes for 3 OF spots plus DH. Throw in a Delmon Young who should be ready mid-season, and they are stacked. They're pretty stacked in the infield too, so I dunno why they inquired about Fields. They have Cantu, Lugo, and soon Upton. They could use a 1B, but Huff can play there. As I see it, their biggest weaknesses are pitching, obviously, and catcher where the disappointing Toby Hall lingers.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

I agree that Crawford is not untouchable. If the Sox would want Crawford, a package of solid prospects (mainly pitching) might get it done. I think the Sox would be better off signing Garland & Aj longterm with any extra money, let Anderson get first crack at CF and stregthen the bullpen with another LH setup reliever (Villone or Rincon)

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Is my boner for this trade just here because you guys keep "fluffing it" or is this really a possiblity?

Its quite fluffed on these boards.

I don't think there is any chance of this deal being done.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Carl Crawford is far from untouchable. Far from it.

Explain yourself.

He's young, very cheap, and he's getting much better every season. The Rays signed him to a 6-year deal last season, and by the time that 6 year dealis close to done, he could be a .300/25/100 50 SB's.

Your a team like the D-Rays, who are so cheap, he is an untouchable, no matter how you slice it.

QUOTE(SouthSidein05 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Explain yourself.

He's young, very cheap, and he's getting much better every season.  The Rays signed him to a 6-year deal last season, and by the time that 6 year dealis close to done, he could be a .300/25/100 50 SB's.

Your a team like the D-Rays, who are so cheap, he is an untouchable, no matter how you slice it.

The D-Rays would take young pitching, Brandon McCarthy, in exchange for him. They have a lack of pitching, but an abundance of young hitting. For that reason along, he's not untouchable.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
The D-Rays would take young pitching, Brandon McCarthy, in exchange for him.  They have a lack of pitching, but an abundance of young hitting.  For that reason along, he's not untouchable.

No they wouldn't, becuase they'll trade just about anyone on thier roster with the exception of BJ Upton, Delmon Young, and Scott Kazmir for pithing before they trade Carl Crawford.