Eric Byrnes signs with D-Backs

Pierzynski 12

The Diamondbacks came closer to filling their center field vacancy as they closed in Wednesday on free agent Eric Byrnes.

Byrnes, who agreed to what is believed to be a one-year deal worth about $2.2 million, will undergo a physical examination today in Phoenix.

Byrnes, whom the Diamondbacks tried to acquire from Oakland last off-season, gives them a speedy, high-energy player who can man the center field position as prospect Chris Young continues to develop. advertisement 

The 29-year-old became a free agent last week when Baltimore did not offer him a contract, the end result of a poor second half of the 2005 season.

Byrnes began the year surrounded by trade rumors in Oakland, where he played well before being dealt to Colorado.

But it was downhill from there. Byrnes hit only .189 (10 for 53) before he was shipped to Baltimore, where he hit .192 in 167 at-bats.

In 2004, Byrnes hit .283 with 20 home runs and 17 steals in 18 attempts.

Assuming he passes his physical, Byrnes' acquisition, along with that of second baseman Orlando Hudson from Toronto, should boost the Diamondbacks' athleticism and energy level.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/s...acksnb1229.html

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Damn he'd look good in a Sox uni.  I know he's not popular on this board, but I've always liked Byrnes.  Worth the gamble IMO.

He insulted our fanbase on ESPN News. Labeled us "the worse in baseball," among other comments which insinuated our rowdiness and criminal behavior.

f*** him.

If I ever saw him skateboarding down the street I'd kick his board. He runs like a pansy, so I doubt he would catch me.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
He insulted our fanbase on ESPN News. Labeled us "the worse in baseball," among other comments which insinuated our rowdiness and criminal behavior.

f*** him.

If I ever saw him skateboarding down the street I'd kick his board. He runs like a pansy, so I doubt he would catch me.

Rowdiness and criminal behavior. I wonder what gives him that impression of us?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)

f*** him.

By making those comments, aren't you proving Byrnes right? ...Just an observation. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
He instantly becomes the worst defensive starting CF in baseball.

He'd be in the top 3, everyone says he makes great defensive diving catches, well that's because he gets horrible jumps on the ball a lot of time.

And if he can't improve against righties, not going to be that good of a signing. Still it was pretty slim pickings in terms of FA CF's available in the market.

Here is the official terms.

Eric Byrnes - OF - Diamondbacks

Diamondbacks signed outfielder Eric Byrnes, who had been with the Orioles, to a one-year, $2.25 million contract.

The money is right, and since Byrnes will only be arbitration eligible at year's end, the Diamondbacks will be able to keep him for 2007 if they'd like. We see Byrnes as more of a fourth outfielder than a regular center fielder, but he'll probably get the job done offensively. If he bats second, he'd be worth at least $15 in NL-only leagues. Dec. 30 - 9:02 pm et

Chris Young could start right off the bat if Shawn Green plays first base this year. I don't see Tony Clark starting even though he will because of last year. Their outfield right now is Byrnes, Gonzo, Green, and Young. If Green plays first base then Young should start right away because Terrero proved he isn't ready for the MLB. If Clark can play third base then Green plays first and Young starts. Who knows guess we will have to wait, their can still be some position changes that allows Young to start.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Chris Young could start right off the bat if Shawn Green plays first base this year.  I don't see Tony Clark starting even though he will because of last year. Their outfield right now is Byrnes, Gonzo, Green, and Young.  If Green plays first base then Young should start right away because Terrero proved he isn't ready for the MLB.  If Clark can play third base then Green plays first and Young starts.  Who knows guess we will have to wait, their can still be some position changes that allows Young to start.

Chad Tracy says hi

Chris Young is starting the year off in AAA...he'd have to make a hell of an impression not to.

Now, if Byrnes can move Luis Gonzalez elsewhere before the season starts, than you'll see a Byrnes-Young-Green OF in a second. I don't like Byrnes' chances of moving Gonzalez, personally.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Chris Young could start right off the bat if Shawn Green plays first base this year.  I don't see Tony Clark starting even though he will because of last year. Their outfield right now is Byrnes, Gonzo, Green, and Young.  If Green plays first base then Young should start right away because Terrero proved he isn't ready for the MLB.  If Clark can play third base then Green plays first and Young starts.  Who knows guess we will have to wait, their can still be some position changes that allows Young to start.

Green's staying in RF. Personally I don't know if that was the right move, but Josh Byrnes really placed a premium on improving the defense up the middle (which is quite ironic cos they go ahead and sign Byrnes). I'd have Green in CF so you can play Carlos Quentin in RF.

Also Conor Jackson is going to play at 1B with Tony Clark, and then you've got Chad Tracy at 3B like Wite said.

I don't know if they can afford to move Gonzalez either. He's a HUGE fan favorite down there, and they didn't do that well attendance wise last season. He's in the last year of his contract, could be a bit of a public relations disaster if they traded him before then, unless he gave his approval to such a move, to try and win another world series.