2006 Attendance Figures

SoxFanInDallas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
So, will they outdraw the Cubs this year or next year? And how long will it take the first Cub fan to say, "Well, your capacity is more and it's about time..."

Well guess what? Our capacity in 2006 will be LESS than Wrigley. That's right. Wrigley at current has a capacity listed at 39,538. They are adding 2,200 new seats with the bleacher re-build, so put that number at 41,738. The Cell has a listed capacity of 40,615. Wrigley will hold 1,000 more people.

Kinda weird, huh? I normally don't care too much about the Cubs one way or the other, but I do think that this is an interesting thing in a historical context. First time in the modern history of the city's two teams that the south side team has less capacity than the north side.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
I'd say that's about accurate.  What did we draw this year?  2.2 or 2.3 million?  A slight increase is about what I'd expect.

They drew 2,342,834 according to my calculations from ESPN.com That's actually pretty amazing considering I had predicted before the season started a total of 2,329,000. I wasn't that far off. :D

I think 3 million is a high goal but they can come pretty close. 2.7 or 2.8 might be more realistic.

Opening night is no longer available via Ozzie Plans and the indiviual tickets haven't even gone on sale yet...

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
They drew 2,342,834 according to my calculations from ESPN.com That's actually pretty amazing considering I had predicted before the season started a total of 2,329,000. I wasn't that far off.  :D

I think 3 million is a high goal but they can come pretty close. 2.7 or 2.8 might be more realistic.

Opening night is no longer available via Ozzie Plans and the indiviual tickets haven't even gone on sale yet...

Opening night hasn't been available for any of the plans for at least 2 weeks.

From the stuff I have heard from season tix holders as well as info from here and WSi it sounds like the sox have sold between 18-22K tix per game already. 18K being the low on non exciting matchups and cold weather months and 22K the high at better matchups and in the summer. That being said Opening Day, Cubs, Yanks, Red Sox, Cards, etc are locks for sell outs. So I would assume 20 sellouts, 20 under 30,000 crowds, and 40 over 30,000 crowds.

Lets assume sellouts = 40.5K

Lets assume under = 25K

Lets assume over = 35K

(40.5 *20) + (25*20) + (35*41) = (810K) +(500K) + (1435K) = 2,745,000 Fans

Or an average of 33,888 or rounding up we get 34K and Id say that sounds about right. That would put us in the top 3 or so in our league.

I think it all depends on our record

as much as I would like to think that we have the diehard fans that will come out full-force even if we suck, it's just not true

that said Brooks Boyer was a genius with his world series-season ticket deal

he must of boosted the season ticket base to atleast 15,000

add that to all the scout seats being sold out and walk ons I would say payed attendence of atleast 20,000 a night

add sellouts and I think they'll draw 2000000 this season if they suck

if they're good and draw really well even for bad matchups, then I think we can average 30,000+ a night bringing a total more close to 2500000 this season

things also have to be taken into account such as april and may, which are always slow months

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I think it all depends on our record

as much as I would like to think that we have the diehard fans that will come out full-force even if we suck, it's just not true

that said Brooks Boyer was a genius with his world series-season ticket deal

he must of boosted the season ticket base to atleast 15,000

add that to all the scout seats being sold out and walk ons I would say payed attendence of atleast 20,000 a night

add sellouts and I think they'll draw 2000000 this season if they suck

if they're good and draw really well even for bad matchups, then I think we can average 30,000+ a night bringing a total more close to 2500000 this season

things also have to be taken into account such as april and may, which are always slow months

1. Go look at our lineup. WE WILL NOT SUCK. Jim Thome could get hurt and leave us with a lineup equal to or better than last year's. And our pitching staff is better than last year's. WE WILL NOT SUCK. It will take a team winning 105 games in our division for them to firmly beat us.

2. April and May are normally slow months, but there has to be some offset due to our playoff performance, especially in April. I'd be there if I could, and I'd want to go ASAP, when I knew I'd see everyone there. (Maybe we could get KC to sign Frank...that would turn all the KC games into sellouts)

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 07:48 AM)
Being the defending Champions, alot of people will show up. $3 million is a lot but 2.5 should be a reasonable goal. :gosox1:

theres really no need for a dollar sign there unless you are saying $3 million dollars is a lot, in which case, i agree

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
The WS afterglow will help the early Spring dates that lowered attendance in past seasons.

And BTW, are we talking about attendance or ticket sales?

The official "paid attendance" numbers. That's what all the figures reflect.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
A lot of that is because they sold areas like the PSB and the Patio as regular tickets instead of add ons.  The regular season capacity is more like 39k.

I believe it was the on field seating that increased the attendance #.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
I wonder how many of those ticket holders will be disappointed to find out that the ring ceremony is before game 2...

If they don't know already they they are idiots.