Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
People are SO stupid. HE'S A 17 YEAR OLD KID, and this is a hard decision with a lot of outside sources trying to pry him certain ways. How can you blame HIM? If your pissed, talk to the kid's dad, Sampson, and Weber. And even then, threats?? What a bunch of fools.

Illini nation, what a proud group.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)

i wouldn't go painting an entire fanbase by the actions of a few turds.

i'm sure if you spent enough time on phog you'd find a few shining examples of turdiness as well. it would mean nothing at all about the kansas fanbase in general.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
i wouldn't go painting an entire fanbase by the actions of a few turds.

i'm sure if you spent enough time on phog you'd find a few shining examples of turdiness as well. it would mean nothing at all about the kansas fanbase in general.

Turdiness, yes...death threats...no

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

Every fan base in the country would have some moron make death threats in this situation. Guaranteed. It isn't an indictment of a fan base, it is an indictment of the stupidity of the human race.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
Hey any word on when, Benn,Austin,Wilson and Hughes are going to commit to the Illini? :huh

Looking for some positive recruiting news to help forget about Gordon???

Benn - Some have felt that he was a silent ND verbal, but he has denied that and I truely believe that no one is the favorite at this point. ND was the early favorite, but other schools have made up some ground. My guess is that he will pick between ND and UI, and I wouldn't be surprised if UI ends up being his choice.

Austin - I highly doubt that he will end up at UI. From what I hear, he will likely either be at Miami or USC next year. Besides, there are some serious questions about his character.

Wilson - Reports indicate that he is currently favoring OSU and UI, although OSU hasn't offered at this point(to my knowledge). They might be waiting on Martin who is likely heading to OSU, which might help UI. He is also planning on a couple visits to some major powers(USC, ND, OSU), so UI isn't in the clear yet.

Hughes - He isn't really favoring anyone at this time, so it is hard to determine where he will end up. He might follow Wilson since they both have a lot of the similar schools on their list(UI, ND, OSU).

UI do have something to be happy about in terms of recruiting. Zook is going after the top players in the country, and his track record shows that he does a good job landing top talent. Now if he could only improve his actual coaching.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)

Benn - Some have felt that he was a silent ND verbal, but he has denied that and I truely believe that no one is the favorite at this point. ND was the early favorite, but other schools have made up some ground. My guess is that he will pick between ND and UI, and I wouldn't be surprised if UI ends up being his choice.

Austin - I highly doubt that he will end up at UI. From what I hear, he will likely either be at Miami or USC next year. Besides, there are some serious questions about his character.

Wilson - Reports indicate that he is currently favoring OSU and UI, although OSU hasn't offered at this point(to my knowledge). They might be waiting on Martin who is likely heading to OSU, which might help UI. He is also planning on a couple visits to some major powers(USC, ND, OSU), so UI isn't in the clear yet.

Hughes - He isn't really favoring anyone at this time, so it is hard to determine where he will end up. He might follow Wilson since they both have a lot of the similar schools on their list(UI, ND, OSU).

UI do have something to be happy about in terms of recruiting. Zook is going after the top players in the country, and his track record shows that he does a good job landing top talent. Now if he could only improve his actual coaching.

I'm willing to bet it will be between ND and FSU. ND wanted him to commit early and not take his visit here due to fear of changing his mind. Many have said he might lean FSU if he comes visit, and guess who is going to be here for the BC Blackout game. If we lose, it might be a different story. All I know is Myron Rolle is hosting him...But you never know about recruits, it's all about the flavor of the week. And he said the same two things about his first two visits: "I liked it a lot, they had a lot to offer."

I hope FSU stays away from Austin, he's fit for Miami with his character questions.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)

Yeah, im hoping after the whole Gordon thing Illinois may catch a break

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Hey any word on when, Benn,Austin,Wilson and Hughes are going to commit to the Illini? :huh

Benn and Austin both visted and had great times apparently, I'd say there is a decent shot at those 2. Wilson's recruiting is WIDE open, I'd call him a long shot. Hughes looks like a 4 way battle between DA U, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Illinois....so that one is not going to be easy either. Should be a fun season up until early February though. Benn is the best shot here, it's really a 2 team race between ND and the Illini, and he loves Juice and Locksley.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Hoop scoop

Sources indicate Simeon All-Stater Derrick Rose, the top-rated point guard in the nation, is leaning toward Indiana over Memphis as his final choice. He could wind up joining Indianapolis North Central's Eric Gordon as a Hoosier.

Gordon, rated among the top three players in the nation, took back an oral commitment to Illinois last week and is headed to Indiana.

Bob Sakamoto

:(

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Yea I've heard for weeks he was a verbal there.

I thought that was a mistake. Didn't he pull his name from there? Or it was just a rumor or something? I don't think he's committed anywhere, verbal or otherwise. That's why I asked.

In regards to Benn, from the insider articles that I have read the leaders at this point are ND and UI. He still has interest in FSU, and a good visit would certainly help their cause, but in the end I would be surprised if he ends up somewhere besides ND or UI.

In regards to Austin, FSU would be wise to stay away. There are some serious character issues with that guy(to go along with a boatload of talent). Some even speculate that the brawl in Miami might have even sparked his interest. I think he is pretty much down to Miami and USC, and I would be surprised if he lands somewhere else.

Of the 4 guys listed(Austin, Benn, Hughes, and Wilson), I think UI has the best chance of landing Wilson. He has recently stated that UI and OSU are his clear leaders at this point with UI a slight favorite(can an OSU fan verify if they have even offered to Wilson at this point?). If I were a betting man, I would say that Wilson will be at the UI next year AS IT STANDS NOW. Hughes might follow him, which would make for a nice package deal. Benn will likely decide between UI and ND(as stated above), so they are in good shape with him. I highly doubt they get Austin though.

I am getting a little nervous about my Irish. I have a bad feeling that they are going to finish 2nd with a lot of top recruits. They should still be able to pull in a top 10 class(maybe even top 5), but they might miss out on key positions like DT and to a lesser extent LB.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Interesting. IU also received a verbal from a 2008 guard yesterday.

Bud Mackey (SG); 6'4, 180 lbs; Georgetown (KY) Scott County:

Rivals Profile (3 stars)

Scout Profile (4 stars)

He'll be a top 50 player after next summer. I believe he just grew a couple of inches and didn't really play at many national events this past summer.

Compares favorably with another kid from KY, Scotty Hopson, who is the No. 10 player in the class of 2008 according to Rivals, also being recruited by IU. There's some speculation that Mackey and Hopson may want to play together in college.

IU was in on Mackey very early and was able to get him to commit early despite offers from UK, Xavier and heavy interest from South Carolina, Louisville and Florida.

Great pickup by Sampson.