Recruiting Thread

Rose is a 1 and done, so no way he wants to deal with Gordon being on his team too, won't be able to showcase himself as much. With that said, if he doesn't go to Memphis, I'd be just.....even by recruiting standards, I'd be shocked. This might just be a courtesy visit, but signing day is imminent, so we'll find out soon enough.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Rose is going to visit ILL again, makes me believe he will come. Rose would not give ILL just a courtesy visit, so obviously he is seriously entertaining. Being a true point guard, Rose would be a sensation as a freshman at ILL. He would have arguably the best shooter in the nation in Jamar Smith, a true stud in Brian Randle and some depth in the interior with Pruitt and Carwell. At IU he would share the limelight with Gordon who would probably outshine him because of his offensive abilities, Memphis really doesnt look that good for weapons around him. It makes sense the ILL is gonna get another close look.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
The fact that Rose is going to visit ILL again, makes me believe he will come. Rose would not give ILL just a courtesy visit, so obviously he is seriously entertaining. Being a true point guard, Rose would be a sensation as a freshman at ILL. He would have arguably the best shooter in the nation in Jamar Smith, a true stud in Brian Randle and some depth in the interior with Pruitt and Carwell. At IU he would share the limelight with Gordon who would probably outshine him because of his offensive abilities, Memphis really doesnt look that good for weapons around him. It makes sense the ILL is gonna get another close look.

Has a player ever produced less on the court than Brian Randle to have some fans consider him a "true stud". Reports out of Illini practices state that he's no more active on the offensive end than he was last year.

I just love to see how so many Illini fans have to wipe that egg off their face now when it comes to their constant b****ing about Reggie Rose, Adidas, etc.

If Rose is all about the money, then my guess is that he goes to Illinois.

For a 1 and done player it is all about exposure, and playing for a Big 10 school will get you on tv much more than C-USA.

Not to mention with the Gordon fiasco, Rose walks in as a hero.

Not many other programs can offer that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Has a player ever produced less on the court than Brian Randle to have some fans consider him a "true stud". Reports out of Illini practices state that he's no more active on the offensive end than he was last year.

I just love to see how so many Illini fans have to wipe that egg off their face now when it comes to their constant b****ing about Reggie Rose, Adidas, etc.

Brian hasn't been asked to be an offensive player yet. Last year it was Dee and Augie. The fact is Randle is as good a defender in college basketball, an electrfying dunker and developing a shot. By the time Rose is a freshman Randle will be a stud. He never has been asked to carry an offesive load, and now will do it and watch, he will become studly.

Edited by maggsmaggs

For those of you who say that Rose won't go to IU BECAUSE of Gordon I have one question, do you guys follow recruiting? Every article, insider and free, has indicated that the only reason Rose is considering IU is BECAUSE of Gordon. They formed a great friendship this summer playing together and talked about possible playing together in college. Most of the articles I have read have him down to Memphis and IU, and some have said that IU has a slight lead at this point(including the Chicago Tribune a few days ago). Personally, I think it is up in the air, and a good trip to the UI could win him over. With that said, it is certainly possible for two star players to be on the same team in college even if they are considered to be one and done, especially since they don't play the same position. Don't be surprised if he still ends up at IU, and if he does, than it has everything to do with Gordon.

not this one...

anyhow, i have no idea what to make of this. it doesn't really make any sense. my guess is it's just a courtesy visit.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
It would make a lot of Illini fans hypocritical if Rose chooses Illinois. And honestly, I don't think it is that farfetch'd. Everyone and their brother knows Weber has continued to recruit him since he took Illinois off his list

http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2006/10/de...llino.html#more

It was Reggie Rose that reached out to Illinois. Bruce Weber and the Illinois staff did not continue recruiting Rose after he named his final list of five.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)

Not only that, but I don't think Rose has verballed yet. That's what pissed Illini fans (including me, I admit) off. Now if Rose has verballed and I don't know it, than yes, Illini fans are hypocritical, other than that, he's a "free agent."

Rivals.com: Chicago Simeon Star Derrick Rose Narrows List Down To Memphis And Indiana

Chicago Hoops

October 26, 2006

Email Questions/Comments To brian@chicagohoops.com

According to Rivals.com, Class of 2007 Chicago Simeon star Derrick Rose has narrowed his list of schools down to Memphis and Indiana with Illinois holding a chance to get back into the mix. Rose ranks as one of the top Class of 2007 basketball prospects in the state of Illinois.

Rose is scheduled to take an Unofficial Visit to the University of Illinois this weekend for the team scrimmage. After the visit, the Rose camp will sit down, and come to a decision in terms of a collegiate destination.

Memphis affords the opportunity to play in a wide open offense for a former NBA head coach in John Calipari, and Indiana brings the lure of playing alongside of Eric Gordon. Illinois is the in-state school.

Rose will hold a November press conference to announce his decision publicly.

Oh well...I always felt that DePaul did not have the greatest of chances so I kept my hope to a minimum as much as I could, but I applaud Coach Wainwright for being in his top 5 and for the great job he has done so far in his 2nd year in getting 2 top 30 recruits...

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
yeah, but that same site said Gordon is 100% Illini. You cant always believe what your read. Recruiting changes everyday, thats what you get when you deal with Teenagers.

Actually, most of the articles on the Indiana premium site always indicated that Gordon was unsure and that IU was making up ground. Take it as bias if you like, but I can't remember reading one insider article on Gordon from the IU site that said that Gordon was 100% UI over the previous two months(they might have known more than you give them credit for). I will agree that recruiting is difficult to follow at times, and recruits have a tendancy to change their minds and make even the "experts" look bad. I even said that Gordon was 100% UI a couple of months ago, but changed my opinion a little and said that it was up in the air over the last month(although I still said that I thought he would end up at UI).

Take it for what it is worth, but the most recent insider article(hot off the press) states that Rose is still down to IU or Memphis, and not to read too much into the UI visit(the article includes direct quotes from his brother). This information is on the free boards as well, so it shouldn’t violate the rules of giving away insider information.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
It would make a lot of Illini fans hypocritical if Rose chooses Illinois. And honestly, I don't think it is that farfetch'd. Everyone and their brother knows Weber has continued to recruit him since he took Illinois off his list.

With that said, does anyone else get the feeling that Rose simply does not want to play with Gordon?

No, I just don't think he knows what he wants to do at all yet. I thought I remember him saying he would like to play with Gordon and vice versa with Gordon saying that about Rose.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
However, I'm not sure I'm going to be upset either way right now on the subject of him coming here or not. He'd be a great get, and would make our recruiting class even stronger. However, I have to admit all the rumblings of the stuff his brother is doing in the recruiting process has me nervous also, and I wouldn't be mad to not have to worry about that dirt at all.

My thoughts on Rose are very simple. If he has nothing on his mind other than being a 1 year player, then let him go elsewhere. I already have trepidation about Gordon doing so. I want IU to compete at the highest level, but I don't want them to turn into a one and done factory. The only reason I was so excited to get Gordon is that he is an in-state kid and those are the kind of kids we need.

If Rose goes to Illinois or Memphis, that's fine by me. We'll take Eshuante Jones or Jai Lucas and be done with it.

Regardless, I like the excitement Gordon has put back into the IU program. Now all we have to see is if Sampson can coach in the Big Ten.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Didn't he originally commit to Oregon??

I believe that is correct.

Btw, OT on that, but apparently the Illini are going to have several big time football verbals become public in the immediate future, as in a week or two at most. We'll see though.....