Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 19, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)
Have to give Coach Wainwright credit where it's due for outrecruiting very good programs for both Mac Koshwal and Dar Tucker. I'm excited about our top 10 class coming in (well, now, hopefully).

Wainwright has done a really good job recruiting, but Tucker was the Illini's to lose, that is until they decided they didn't want to take Tucker because it was a lock that either Rose or Gordon was coming. Oops.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 19, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Wainwright has done a really good job recruiting, but Tucker was the Illini's to lose, that is until they decided they didn't want to take Tucker because it was a lock that either Rose or Gordon was coming. Oops.

i dunno about that. what do you base "illini's to lose" or he was "begging" to come to illinois on? if that basis is on articles on illinois recruiting sites, you know as well as i do that any story on a particular teams site is going to be slanted to those schools. most of those boards' "reporters" are little more than homer fans who have some phone numbers.

i don't know what happened with the tucker recruitment, but i'm fairly certain it's a mischaracterization to say he was an illinois "lock" or anything of that sort. he liked the school, but only after a few of his other options (louisville, msu in particular) dried up.

all that said, it was indeed another illinois recruiting loss so that is on weber. i just think you're overplaying how much he wanted to come to illinois. no one but dar and people around him really know that.

and as sleepy said, you have to give credit where it's due. wainwright's done a great job recruiting. he's just challenged in other areas.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 19, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
i dunno about that. what do you base "illini's to lose" or he was "begging" to come to illinois on? if that basis is on articles on illinois recruiting sites, you know as well as i do that any story on a particular teams site is going to be slanted to those schools. most of those boards' "reporters" are little more than homer fans who have some phone numbers.

i don't know what happened with the tucker recruitment, but i'm fairly certain it's a mischaracterization to say he was an illinois "lock" or anything of that sort. he liked the school, but only after a few of his other options (louisville, msu in particular) dried up.

all that said, it was indeed another illinois recruiting loss so that is on weber. i just think you're overplaying how much he wanted to come to illinois. no one but dar and people around him really know that.

and as sleepy said, you have to give credit where it's due. wainwright's done a great job recruiting. he's just challenged in other areas.

I don't say things based on what the recruiting sites say, everybody around here knows that by now, I have better sources than that nonsense. Tucker not coming to Illinois was 100 percent Bruce's choice, maybe "begging" was exaggerating, but he's at Illinois is Bruce had opened a spot for him instead of praying for Rose.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 19, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
I don't say things based on what the recruiting sites say, everybody around here knows that by now, I have better sources than that nonsense. Tucker not coming to Illinois was 100 percent Bruce's choice, maybe "begging" was exaggerating, but he's at Illinois is Bruce had opened a spot for him instead of praying for Rose.

Bingo.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 19, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)

the mention of recruiting sites was more of a general reference than directly to you, but it was probably phrased poorly. i'm aware that you speak with certain people regarding certain issues. that said, not every source or reputed source is 100 percent correct all of the time. you've been dead on on a few issues and dead off on a few, and i'd say the exact same thing about myself.

in terms of making a "choice" to not select tucker, the choice was more nuanced than just portraying it as weber sitting around like a spurned schoolgirl waiting for rose to call. at least that's the way it's been presented to me by people who's information i respect.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 19, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
the mention of recruiting sites was more of a general reference than directly to you, but it was probably phrased poorly. i'm aware that you speak with certain people regarding certain issues. that said, not every source or reputed source is 100 percent correct all of the time. you've been dead on on a few issues and dead off on a few, and i'd say the exact same thing about myself.

in terms of making a "choice" to not select tucker, the choice was more nuanced than just portraying it as weber sitting around like a spurned schoolgirl waiting for rose to call. at least that's the way it's been presented to me by people who's information i respect.

Yeah I'm aware that the Tucker thing wasn't THAT easy since we still thought we had Gordon, but you can't just turn down a 5 star player willing to verbal (which he was after MSU got all their guys). I'd have taken the risk of telling Rose we are out of room and taking Tucker presonally, and I said that at the time. It's just my opinion that i'm almost positive that senario presented itself to Bruce. Now to be fair, I know it's not that easy, but when you are not recruiting well, you take any stud you can get.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(fathom @ May 19, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
I've been told by a booster for a certain team that Dar's decision had a lot more to do with things off the court than on it.

Bingo, which is why there still might be more to play out in terms of where Dar Tucker ends up.

One of Scout.com's Illinois news stories is about how DeAndre Liggins has two favorites. Since it was on Illinois' page, I am pretty sure that Illinois is one of them and since I don't subscribe I can only guess the other one, Memphis? Seems like Illinois is in great shape with him. My only hope is that CJ gets a football scholly and that gives us three for Liggins, Shumpert and Dunigan. All three in-state, Illinois has been on them a while and it would be really nice to pull three Chicago guys.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
One of Scout.com's Illinois news stories is about how DeAndre Liggins has two favorites. Since it was on Illinois' page, I am pretty sure that Illinois is one of them and since I don't subscribe I can only guess the other one, Memphis? Seems like Illinois is in great shape with him. My only hope is that CJ gets a football scholly and that gives us three for Liggins, Shumpert and Dunigan. All three in-state, Illinois has been on them a while and it would be really nice to pull three Chicago guys.
The latest I've seen on rivals is he said he has a new top 5 and it is Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Illinois, and Texas. He said he definatly will visit Kansas, Kentucky, and Memphis. He said a visit to Texas is a possiblity. He did not mention Illinois, but being in state I'm sure an unofficial visit would be easy to do. Watch Bill Self pluck another Chicago gem when this one is all over!

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
The latest I've seen on rivals is he said he has a new top 5 and it is Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Illinois, and Texas. He said he definatly will visit Kansas, Kentucky, and Memphis. He said a visit to Texas is a possiblity. He did not mention Illinois, but being in state I'm sure an unofficial visit would be easy to do. Watch Bill Self pluck another Chicago gem when this one is all over!

If he comes to Texas, I'll be sure to wear all Illini gear and sing the Alma Mater outside of the Erwin Center...

...ok, maybe not sing.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 22, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)

Do you actually have the subscribtion? Because the teaster just says "They're Two". Meaning the Illini are second on his list. Either that or it's a bad typo.

Anyone, I'll guarntee right now he ends up at Memphis.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
Do you actually have the subscribtion? Because the teaster just says "They're Two". Meaning the Illini are second on his list. Either that or it's a bad typo.

Anyone, I'll guarntee right now he ends up at Memphis.

I dont subscribe, but someone in the forum said that he mentioned Illinois first and it must have been a typo.

If it's headlining the Illini Scout page, he has listed Illinois in the top two. Fantastic.

A) These kids change their minds all the time.

B ) Memphis has been the name that has been dropped time and time again with this kid.

C) Bruce seems to be inept at pulling kids out of the CPL for whatever the reason.

Does that mean it is a foregone conclusion that this kid ends up a Memphis Tiger? No. But, it looks like the writing is on the wall.

I also don't think this kid is the "must-get" that so many Illini fans on that board want us all to believe.

Assuming CJ doesn't take a football scholarship opening up a third scholarship for the class of 2008, a first-rate recruiting class includes any two of the following players:

-Dunigan (a personal favorite)

-Shumpert (a personal favorite)

-Liggins

-Thompkins (on the outside looking in on this kid)

-Suggs (a personal favorite)

-Miller (very distant possibility)

-Anderson (deceased)

Also, for the record, the Weber has Humphrey in the bag whenever he wants him...incidently, I'm not crazy about him.

to me, there are really no "must-gets" in this class for illinois. there's a bunch of kids with similar ability, no one who really stands ahead of the class. at this point, it would be nice to get the "right" kid for the program (stars be damned) although you really won't know that for a year or two.

i do admit it would be nice to get liggins and/or dunigan just to put the cpl thing to rest for awhile. fwiw, i've heard in a few places that we are in very good standing with dunigan. the liggins thing could be similar to the rose thing.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 22, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
to me, there are really no "must-gets" in this class for illinois. there's a bunch of kids with similar ability, no one who really stands ahead of the class. at this point, it would be nice to get the "right" kid for the program (stars be damned) although you really won't know that for a year or two.

i do admit it would be nice to get liggins and/or dunigan just to put the cpl thing to rest for awhile. fwiw, i've heard in a few places that we are in very good standing with dunigan. the liggins thing could be similar to the rose thing.

In best Hawk voice: "I love doc."

Agree on nearly every point made, doc. There are really no must-gets; rather, there is a handful of talented kids that will contribute to whatever team they join.

I, too, would like to see the CPL controversy put to bed--hopefully, with a commitment from Dunigan or Liggins or both, it would be a start.

I must be hearing the same rumblings on Dunigan that you are hearing, because I've heard Weber is head-over-heels for the kid and Dunigan is taking quite the liking to Illinois.

I would be ecstatic with Dunigan and Shumpert, just thrilled to death and from what I've been hearing, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If you're looking for the role playing type, that kid Humphrey fits the bill. He is a big-time perimeter scorer that matches up nicely with Weber's offense. I'm a little worried he takes a scholarship out of the hands of someone better rounded, but if these other options don't materialize, he'd be a fine addition.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
In best Hawk voice: "I love doc."

Agree on nearly every point made, doc. There are really no must-gets; rather, there is a handful of talented kids that will contribute to whatever team they join.

I, too, would like to see the CPL controversy put to bed--hopefully, with a commitment from Dunigan or Liggins or both, it would be a start.

I must be hearing the same rumblings on Dunigan that you are hearing, because I've heard Weber is head-over-heels for the kid and Dunigan is taking quite the liking to Illinois.

I would be ecstatic with Dunigan and Shumpert, just thrilled to death and from what I've been hearing, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If you're looking for the role playing type, that kid Humphrey fits the bill. He is a big-time perimeter scorer that matches up nicely with Weber's offense. I'm a little worried he takes a scholarship out of the hands of someone better rounded, but if these other options don't materialize, he'd be a fine addition.

yeah, supposedly dunigan most likes illinois and purdue. that will be a tough one to the end. it would be nice to get one of those five-stars, of course knowing our recent luck we'll get the five-star that sucks. unfortunately i think dunigan has the potential, which i largely base on his lack of production in high school games.

liggins is the guy i'd most want, just because i think a 6-6 kid who can really pass the ball would be a great fit for motion.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 22, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
This bodes well for my Tarheels pursuit of Drew. I know he has slipped in his play this AAU season, but it seemed to be Arizona and UNC neck & neck. Now with Jennings going to the Cats I can see Drew becoming a Heel shortly after.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Speaking of which, Drew just commited to UNC, nice pick-up, could be a 3-4 year PG to afford stability.
Yeah, I'm happy with him coming to Chapel Hill. Next up Samardo Samuels!!!!

From the Liggins article on Rivals this weeK:

The No. 18 ranked player in the Class of 2008 has a top five that includes Memphis, Illinois, Texas, Kentucky, and Kansas. Liggins says he plans to unofficially visit Kentucky, Memphis, and Kansas in June.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 26, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
UNC just offered Tyler Zeller right before the start of the TOC yesterday, should be an interesting recruitment.

I'd heard that's the one he was holding out for.