The Score pitches Ozzie Jr. as baseball talk host

HuskyCaucasian

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder061.html

Score pitches Ozzie Jr. as baseball talk host

January 6, 2006

BY ROBERT FEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Advertisement

Ozzie Guillen Jr., the 21-year-old son of the world champion White Sox manager, is getting his own weekly show on sports/talk WSCR-AM (670).

But unlike all the other programming on the CBS Radio station, Guillen's show will be almost entirely in Spanish.

Starting Jan. 15, "El Beisbol Latino de Hoy Al Estile de Chicago" ("Latino Baseball Today, Chicago Style") will air live at 10 p.m. Sundays on the Score. Guillen, a student at Columbia College, will be joined by longtime sportscaster Hector Molina as co-host.

In addition to occasional interviews with his father, Guillen will feature top Latino players and executives throughout baseball.

The show was conceived by Mitch Rosen, the Score's program director, who has been close to the Guillen family since his days at Paragon Marketing Group when he served as the senior Guillen's agent.

"Ozzie Jr. is a charismatic guy who loves to talk baseball and has great contacts within the Latino baseball community," Rosen said.

"With the growing Hispanic population in Chicagoland, we feel a show like this will give the community an outlet to talk Chicago baseball, and about the world champion White Sox."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Horriable Idea..When is there going to be a Polish, German, French show? Why are they catering to just people who speak spanish?

Because they are the 2nd highest % of the population?

Because they are the 2nd highest % of the population?

And Chicago is the largest city outside of Warsaw(Captial of Poland) in the world that speaks Polish.. Where is their show?

Again, when is the shows going to start for other Ethinic backgrounds, and why do we contuine to cater only to spanish speaking?

That my fellows sox fans is racist.

S.O.D. said it best..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
And Chicago is the largest city outside of Warsaw(Captial of Poland) in the world that speaks Polish.. Where is their show?

Again, when is the shows going to start for other Ethinic backgrounds, and why do we contuine to cater only to spanish speaking?

S.O.D. said it best..

I have a feeling there are more Spanish speakers than Polish speakers in Chicago.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I have a feeling there are more Spanish speakers than Polish speakers in Chicago.

Wouldn't matter...Pollocks don't play baseball...I can see his point though. But its a good move for the Sox...get some new fans...maybe. Gotta get that Sox name out there.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)

S.O.D. said it best..

Quit b****ing and start one.

By the way, there is Polish radio on the AM dial. I doubt they talk baseball though.

Quit b****ing and start one.

By the way, there is Polish radio on the AM dial.  I doubt they talk baseball though.

Naa I think they should just refuse to learn english, and force the mayor to start making every thing in Polish as well.. Then in a couple of years they get their own TV stations, and next will be their own Radio Show..And who ever disagrees with this is a racist..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Naa I think they should just refuse to learn english, and force the mayor to start making every thing in Polish as well.. Then in a couple of years they get their own TV stations, and next will be their own Radio Show..And who ever disagrees with this is a racist..

How does a language = race?

It's about f***ing appeal and listeners they will get.

Plain and simple more people will listen to a baseball show in Spanish than Polish.  Deal with it.

No its about catering to a small group of the population that refuses to learn american customs..We contuine to cater to spanish speaking people, while every other ethnic background is thrown to the side.. Irish,Italians and Polish Imigrants helped build Chicago into the great city that it is..And they had to learn the Langauage as well as kept their own. They recieved no speaical treatment.. why should spanish speaking people?

If your going to cater to one group you have to cater to all..Otherwise that is racist, there is no way around it.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
No its about catering to a small group of the population that refuses to learn american customs..We contuine to cater to spanish speaking people, while every other ethnic background is thrown to the side.. Irish,Italians and Polish Imigrants helped build Chicago into the great city that it is..And they had to learn the Langauage as well as kept their own. They recieved no speaical treatment.. why should spanish speaking people?

If your going to cater to one group you have to cater to all..Otherwise that is racist, there is no way around it.

LMFAO, take a bow.

Waiting for Texsox to chime in on this one. Should be good.

Anthrax, this is a market driven decision. It's all about $$$$. There is a large enough market to support a Spanish language baseball oriented show. If there was enough of a Polish speaking market that had an interest in baseball, then there would be a show for that.

And, BTW, Warsaw is the only city in the world with a larger population of Polish people than Chicago. I highly doubt that most of those in chicago speak the Polish language. I may be wrong about this, but I'd guess there are other cities in Poland that have more Polish speaking residents than Chicago does.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 06:46 AM)
Anthrax, this is a market driven decision.  It's all about $$$$.  There is a large enough market to support a Spanish language baseball oriented show.  If there was enough of a Polish speaking market that had an interest in baseball, then there would be a show for that.

Yeah, really. This is beyond obvious, and it's a shame that you have to point it out.

Anthrax can't possibly be serious about this, though. He forgot to use the green font.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)

:headshake

The above statement is so insensitive and oblivious to the true facts of current and past cultures it's amazing. And for you to get so worked up over a Sunday night talk show tells me there is some deep rooted hatred that is manfesting. For what reason, I do not know. I haven't heard you complain once about the Latin broadcast of games that's been happening for years now.

Maybe you'll realize that the Latino population is an incredibly large one in the Chicago Metro area, not a small group as you tried to point out. That our manager, some of our coaches and players are also primarily Latino. That the 223% growth over the last five years in the Latino popluation in our area fueled is one of largest in the country and this immigration boom is recent. Whereas our Italian, Polish, & Irish influx came closer to the beginning of the 20th century.

During that time, might I add, there was a huge anti-immigration movement in New York and Chicago for the exact same reasons you stated.

They did not learn the language as soon as they hit Ellis Island or made their way into Union Station...it was following generation that took that step.

We were not living in an advanced media lifestyle then, but if we were I am positive we would have had Italian/Gaelic radio boradcasts in the 1910-20s.

This Sunday night show is for a large Sox fan base who are not yet comfortable speaking our language, but contribute through ticket sales, buying White Sox memorabilia, and add to the Chicago economy by working.

So please, enough of trying to say that the focusing on one raceby The Score is racist when your comments are so perilously close in that direction, too.

Thank you.

p.s. The Polish National Alliance have their own Radio station in Chicago. Call them and ask why they are not broadcasting games.

p.p.s Sorry about the rant, I work for a Latino serving Education Institution and this kind of talk gets under my skin...

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Horriable Idea..When is there going to be a Polish, German, French show? Why are they catering to just people who speak spanish?

Very simple (i am not trying to be racist here), but all those others actually LEARN english when they come to America!