Herman Edwards

I don't know about you, but I lost a lot of respect for the guy after this shady move. Talking about jumping ship. The Jets were the first team to give him a Head Coaching job, they gave him an extension after the team finished 6-10. Then when the team needed him most, he leaves the team.

Also, in his news conference he talks about commitment. How can he even use that as a motivator? He wasn't even committed to finishing his own contract.

Obviously he wanted to get the hell out of NY and that situation, but just last month he was telling everyone he was staying in NY. If your one of his players, you have to be somewhat pissed off.

I know he's got kids to feed and everything, but you would think a coach would honor his contract before jumping ship.

What are your thoughts?

Balta1701,

His contract was through 2007, after he signed an extension for 2006 and 2007.

Goldmember,

So Herm Edwards is only worth a 4th Round Pick? Then what is Lovie Smith worth? What if he decides after the season that he would rather have the Rams job, is a 4th Round pick enough for him?

greasywheels121,

How were the Jets going to f*** him over? Fire him and he still earns the remainder of his contract for sitting on his ass? How is that f***ing him over? It is not.

CanOfCorn,

It is not the same. The difference between player's contracts and coaches is that coaches get the full contract regardless if they stay the entire time or not. Mariucci is getting something like $8 million over the next 2 years for not coaching the Lions.

This is starting a bad precedence in the league. Now every time a coach has a bad season, he can just decide to jump ship and move on in the middle of a contract. What kind of league would the NFL be if all the players and coaches on bad teams did this every year?

Yes a player can holdout if he feels that he has out played his contract, but HE signed the contract, and that is why it is called a contract. It is an agreement between the player and team in terms of years and money. If the player does not like the contract don't sign it and go play somewhere else, but don't sign a contract then a year or two into a 5 year deal b**** about the contract you signed.

If Herm does this after his contract, then I have no problem with it, but it just seemed like really odd timing. If the Jets were going to fire him, fine they have that right, but they would owe him the remainder of the contract.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
If you knew you were going to get fired, wouldn't you start planning for the future?

It's widely known the Jets were going to fire Edwards.  They should be extatic that they're receiving some kind of consolation prize for not getting to do so.

Not if I was an NFL coach, because it is tampering to talk to other teams.

I understand your point, but I cannot see why they would be ecstatic for only getting a 4th round pick.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I think if his skin tone were a little lighter and he was less outspoken, people wouldn't be so afraid to call him out for being the mediocre coach he is.

I've panned Ty Willingham, so at least for me, race isn't the protective agent you make it out to be.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Not if I was an NFL coach, because it is tampering to talk to other teams. 

I understand your point, but I cannot see why they would be ecstatic for only getting a 4th round pick.

Because it's better than firing him and having to pay off the rest of his contract while getting no 4th round pick.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I've panned Ty Willingham, so at least for me, race isn't the protective agent you make it out to be.

But he was the greatest Sunday to Friday coach of all time! :P

As for Herm Edwards, I wouldn't have given the jets a gatorade cooler for him, let alone a 4th round draft pick.

RME, I think in your earlier post you failed to understand contracts in the NFL. Player contracts are not guarenteed in the NFL...so if a team thinks a player is playing bad they can just cut him. So if teams are able to cut players when they underperform, players should have the right to holdout if they overperform. It's rather simple, but it makes sense in the balance between owner/player power. As a result, I don't buy the "if you sign a contract you should honor it" argument...owners certainly don't follow that motto so why should the players?

I'm sure they would've fired him though. It was kind of a compromise between the Jets and the Chiefs. The Jets obviously wanted more than a 4th round pick, but might have ended up firing him anyways whereas the Chiefs were willing to give up that pick. At first the Jets wanted a pick just for having the Chiefs talk to them, then they backed off on that which tells me that they weren't really thrilled about having him back next year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Of course not in all cases

just this one... because you said so and all. Actually they got rid of him because he was black and the Chiefs gave 4th rounder instead of a 3rd because he was black. That doesn't happen in all cases, just this one.

Edited by jenksd

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
On the other hand, Herm's contract with the Jets was up after next year, and they'd made no obvious moves which would suggest they were willing to give him an extension.

Its a contract...I think players and coaches should live up to them.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
RME, I think in your earlier post you failed to understand contracts in the NFL. Player contracts are not guarenteed in the NFL...so if a team thinks a player is playing bad they can just cut him. So if teams are able to cut players when they underperform, players should have the right to holdout if they overperform. It's rather simple, but it makes sense in the balance between owner/player power. As a result, I don't buy the "if you sign a contract you should honor it" argument...owners certainly don't follow that motto so why should the players?

I completely understand the contracts of players and coaches. The reason why players can be cut without compensation is because the stupid agreement the Players association signed with the league. That is the worst part of the league. Players holding out for more money, or teams cutting players when they suck. The difference is that the team has the upper hand due to the agreement. That is why the player should just honor the contract and play. If the players don't like it, renegotiate the agreement.

The Jets had the power to do whatever they wanted. They didn't have to let KC talk to Edwards. They had all the chips, but Edwards basically said he wanted out and the Jets then had no choice but to salvage something for him. Everyone is making like the Jets were going to fire him, then why were they going to give him another extension this year?

Here is a good article about the situation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...mmqb/index.html

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
That is the worst part of the league.  Players holding out for more money, or teams cutting players when they suck.  The difference is that the team has the upper hand due to the agreement.  That is why the player should just honor the contract and play. If the players don't like it, renegotiate the agreement.

So a player should just play out their contract because the management has the upper hand? What if the player doesnt like it and wishes to renegotiate, but the team says no? Then what? The player should just play out their contract then, because the management has the upper hand?

Im sorry, you might understand the non-gauranteed contracts, but you are posting like you dont understand at all. The league is cutthroat, thats all there is to it. You perform, or you will be replaced. And the superstars reserve the right to hold out, because time in the limelight lasts as long as a one-year contract, every year. The only thing players hold out for is signing bonuses, because thats the only gauranteed money they will get.

Why should I fault Herman Edwards for leaving and putting himself in a better situation? Coaches do it every year, just ask Bill Parcells how many times he has shifted his situation, and then ask the Jets how much it cost to pry him from New England. There was nothing shady about the negotiations, it wasnt like Edwards sprung it on the Jets. The Chiefs asked about him, then entered into trade talks for him. Didnt sound like the Jets were too upset to lose him.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
good for Herm.

Lets say youre coaching the Broncos, for instance, and the Bears have a coaching vacancy.  You have always dream to coach the Bears, and now they say they want you.

Punch my ticket to Chicago please.

I definitely agree with this....I don't blame him for going to KC. I just think he's a bad coach, yet for some reason nobody calls him out for it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I definitely agree with this....I don't blame him for going to KC.  I just think he's a bad coach, yet for some reason nobody calls him out for it.

YOU PLAYYYYY TO WIN THE GAME.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
Its a contract...I think players and coaches should live up to them.

Put yourself in the shoes of say...Joe Crede. Then imply NFL rules. In turn, Crede could be cut on the spot and not another dime to show for it if he comes out a slouch in 2006. He could also hit .300, hit 30 homers and 100 RBI and not see a penny more. In that case, if you were Joe Crede, wouldn't you hold out and ask for more money? He earned it, didn't he? Or should he just suck it up and take a lesser amount of money because earlier in his career he had only 'potential?'

I don't see anything wrong with what Herm Edwards is doing here. It's pretty obvious the Jets front office wasn't up to 'honoring' his contract.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
This is starting a bad precedence in the league.  Now every time a coach has a bad season, he can just decide to jump ship and move on in the middle of a contract.  What kind of league would the NFL be if all the players and coaches on bad teams did this every year? 

No he can't. If the team doesn't want him to leave, and he's under contract with the team, the team owns all of his rights.