Twins are better than the Indians, White Sox, if..

Kyyle23

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...ll/13744365.htm

TwinsFest is over. Spring training is next for the Twins. And what's next after that is finding out whether general manager Terry Ryan has improved the team enough to overtake the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians in the American Central. Though Ryan made some risky acquisitions, the Twins will win the division if...

• The pitching staff doesn't backslide from a 2005 season in which it had the AL's fifth-lowest earned-run average at 3.71.

• Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Carlos Silva and Joe Nathan do not suffer injuries that cost them more than a few games.

• Justin Morneau improves his batting average, his power numbers and his attitude.

• New designated hitter Rondell White stays healthy and gives the Twins at least 20 home runs and 100 RBIs.

• Joe Mauer keeps his batting average near .300 and lifts his home run and RBI totals from nine and 55 to something in the neighborhood of 15 and 80.

• New second baseman Luis Castillo does what he was brought in to do — play solid defense and stimulate the batting order.

• Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury.

• New third baseman Tony Batista matches his career batting average of .251 and hits 20 home runs; he has not had fewer than 25 major league home runs since 1998 and hit 27 homers in Japan last season.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com

pretty simple, huh?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
^^

^^^. :bang

But alas, the Twinkies really also need to hope that whoever plays RF for them, whether it's Cuddyer, Kubel etc., can perform adequately enough.

And my thoughts on Tony Batsita put simply, is the guy will make so many outs, does it really matter if he can hit 15-20 HR's?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
And my thoughts on Tony Batsita put simply, is the guy will make so many outs, does it really matter if he can hit 15-20 HR's?

Especially when Cuddyer would hit 15 hrs in a full season anyway. How the hell is this guy signed and Erubiel Durazo still looking for work?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 03:05 AM)
Durazo is a good hitter but he's pretty much a DH only (he sucks at 1B) and he's still recovering from Tommy John surgery.

So he'd be a good fit in at least one spot in the Twins lineup, which is more than you can say for Batista. A bit of a risk, but at least an upgrade in some sense.

So he'd be a good fit in at least one spot in the Twins lineup, which is more than you can say for Batista.  A bit of a risk, but at least an upgrade in some sense.

Well, the Twins signed Rondell White to be their DH. He's probably a better bet than Durazo at this point. If Durazo was healthy, I'd take him over White though.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 03:52 AM)
Well, the Twins signed Rondell White to be their DH.  He's probably a better bet than Durazo at this point.  If Durazo was healthy, I'd take him over White though.

They already have Cuddyer. The odds Durazo is better than White (and they're both question marks) are better than the odds Batista is better than Cuddyer.

Anyway, this has gotten offtrack. I wasn't initially saying the Twins should have signed Durazo (although...), just that I can't believe a free agent market that would quickly sign Tony Batista and leave Durazo as a last thought fill-in.

• The pitching staff doesn't backslide from a 2005 season in which it had the AL's fifth-lowest earned-run average at 3.71.

I can see it doing just as good.

• Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Carlos Silva and Joe Nathan do not suffer injuries that cost them more than a few games.

We will see.

• Justin Morneau improves his batting average, his power numbers and his attitude.

I think this is going to happen.

• New designated hitter Rondell White stays healthy and gives the Twins at least 20 home runs and 100 RBIs.

No fricken' way.

• Joe Mauer keeps his batting average near .300 and lifts his home run and RBI totals from nine and 55 to something in the neighborhood of 15 and 80.

With the slightly improved line-up, I see it being about 12 and 75.

• New second baseman Luis Castillo does what he was brought in to do — play solid defense and stimulate the batting order.

Will certainly happen.

• Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury.

Torii is smart enough to know what he has to do.

• New third baseman Tony Batista matches his career batting average of .251 and hits 20 home runs; he has not had fewer than 25 major league home runs since 1998 and hit 27 homers in Japan last season.

No, just no.

They already have Cuddyer.  The odds Durazo is better than White (and they're both question marks) are better than the odds Batista is better than Cuddyer.

Anyway, this has gotten offtrack.  I wasn't initially saying the Twins should have signed Durazo (although...), just that I can't believe a free agent market that would quickly sign Tony Batista and leave Durazo as a last thought fill-in.

The Twins signed Batista because he can play 3B and he was cheap... mainly because he was cheap. :D The Twins needed to add some power and Batista can hit homers but he is still a terrible hitter (AVG and OBP-wise). But they don't have too much to work with in Minnesota with such a low payroll.

No fricken' way.

If Gardenhire uses White as his full-time DH and doesn't make the mistake of playing him in the outfield, I think Rondell could stay healthy for the entire season.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 04:29 AM)
The Twins signed Batista because he can play 3B and he was cheap...  mainly because he was cheap.  :D  The Twins needed to add some power and Batista can hit homers but he is still a terrible hitter (AVG and OBP-wise).  But they don't have too much to work with in Minnesota with such a low payroll.

And because he's better than Cuddyer. Even though he sucks and Cuddyer doesn't. Hey, thanks Minny.

Um, we had the 2nd lowest ERA in the AL I believe. Not only do the Twinkies have to avoid backsliding...they need us to backslide too.

That's still only 3 major starting pitchers. We have 6. They are counting on a lot from guys like Liriano, etc.

The Sabermetric guys think he will, but stats don't tell you about attitude. Also...they don't say how much he needs to improve on those. With what the Sox did in getting Thome...he has to improve on them A LOT. 30-40 home runs are mandatory if they want to pass the Sox and Thome and PK stay healthy.

Agreed.

Agreed, and doable...but he has to stay healthy. It also may take even more than that to pass us if we pitch well.

Agreed...but again, he doesn't say how much stimulation is necessary. Give me numbers...average, SB, etc.

But how many more balls would Hunter let hit the ground if he didn't crash into the wall as much?

Good luck with that.

Yeah, if they do all of those...they might have a shot at us...they probably actually need to do better than those if our guys don't take any major steps back next year.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
Add yourself to my sig!

Put me down for the Indians, but I don't think they'll win the WC.

Here's how I responded to the article earlier.

Nevermind that both the White Sox and Indians had better staff ERA's and the White Sox have arguably improve their pitching staff.

Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Carlos Silva and Joe Nathan do not suffer injuries that cost them more than a few games.

Wasn't Silva the only member of that group that missed time last season? How many games back did the Twins finish behind the Sox last season again?

No, he has to show he can hit, or at least make contact, against LHP before he can improve his overall numbers.

• New designated hitter Rondell White stays healthy and gives the Twins at least 20 home runs and 100 RBIs

....and in 13 seasons he has hit over 20 homers a whopping 3 times (28 in 1997, 22 in 1999, and 22 in 2003.) He has also never drove in 100 RBI's in a season ( career high of 87 in 2003.)

Joe Mauer keeps his batting average near .300 and lifts his home run and RBI totals from nine and 55 to something in the neighborhood of 15 and 80.

...and who is he going to knock in consider Batista and Morneau can't get on base, and what's so impressive with 80 RBI's from a guy who is supposed to be a 5 tool player?

New second baseman Luis Castillo does what he was brought in to do — play solid defense and stimulate the batting order.

Wasn't Punto a solid defensive second baseman? How exactly is Castillo going to "stimulate" the batting order? He's a slap hitter with a good OBP, but his speed is declining and can no longer steal bases like he used to.

Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury.

Clubhouse leader? The guy who messed around with Morneau (oh wait, that's was Justin's problem) or going on TV in June saying the Twins weren't going to catch the Sox? Torii is a great defensive CF, but he is very overrated with the bat.

New third baseman Tony Batista matches his career batting average of .251 and hits 20 home runs; he has not had fewer than 25 major league home runs since 1998 and hit 27 homers in Japan last season.

You know, it really says something about your crappy team when you are hoping that a guy "matches" his career batting average of a pathetic .251. Tony's career OBP is .298 and has a career SLG% of .458. That not high enough for a player who is known for hitting home runs (at least the writer thinks so.) His crappy OBP should fit in well with the rest of the Twins' lineup of Torii (career OBP of .321,) Morneau (.313,) Bartlett (.308,) not to mention Stewart coming off a .323 OBP season along with Loser Ford coming off a .338 OBP season.

The only thing I think that has no chance of happening is Batista having a good season he is going to suck horribly everything else I wouldnt be surprised with... but Id bet Silva takes a step back although still be good.... and Liriano/Baker being rookies are going to be inconsistent if not consistently bad......a course they can be the next Haren/Blanton but they both were kind of inconsistent although at times were awesome too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
The only thing I think that has no chance of happening is Batista having a good season he is going to suck horribly everything else I wouldnt be surprised with... but Id bet Silva takes a step back although still be good.... and Liriano/Baker being rookies are going to be inconsistent if not consistently bad......a course they can be the next Haren/Blanton but they both were kind of inconsistent although at times were awesome too.

I still think the Twinkies rotation will be better in 2006 though. They're subtracting Lohse and Mays who had ERA's of 4.18 and 5.65 respectively. Baker had a 3.35 ERA in about 6 or 7 starts, and Liriano could be another Santana, even though he may initally struggle depending on how many hits he gives up (19 hits in 23.2IP, with 15 scoring (also only 7BB's)).

It should be interesting to see how they do without J.C Romero as well, and Mulholland ain't there either, so there's 2 lefties gone, even though Gardenhire did use Mulholland way too much.

Keep an eye peeled on the Royals, I think they’ve made some smart moves over the winter. Not a prime time team but they are much improved and don’t figure to be anybody’s doormat. I don’t think they can win the Central, but on paper they can catch the ball, hit a little, pitch enough to survive and could good enough to cost somebody else the division.

From right to left:

OF: Brown, DeJesus and Sanders

IF: Tehan, Berroa, Grudzielanek and Mientkiewicz

C: Buck, Baco

DH: Sweeney, Stairs

SP: R.Hernandez, Elarton, Greinke, Redman and either Affelt or Mays

BP: MacDougal, Burgos, Sisco