Best performance of a pitcher

Kyyle23

Since it has been dead time and all of the theoretical posts seem to be dwindling down(hopefully), I thought it would be a good time to ask what you each feel was the best pitching performance over the course of the season. There were some pitching moments last year that will stand out in my mind forever, but for some reason the one that absolutely sticks out was June 29th.

Brandon McCarthy started the game, and left with a 3-2 lead in the 7th. The game ended up being tied by a Chris Shelton triple and a sac fly off of Neal Cotts, and the next inning Cotts got into trouble and loaded the bases. Cliff Politte came in the game, and struck out Ivan Rodriguez, and induced Craig Monroe to hit into a 6-3 double play. I remember watching the game with a sick feeling in my stomach, and Politte just came in and started pumping gas all over the strikezone.

Please share your favorite performance of a pitcher over the course of 2005, and I was thinking of having a "Favorite Pitching Moment of 2005" poll after a few days. Try and include the opponent and date if you can. If not, no biggie. :)

How about we go all the way to the begining and look at Buehrle's performance vs Seattle.... I think we won that game with 2 Konerko HR's.

Also the best thing about that Garland thing in Baltimore..... is his very next start he got Soriano out with the same pitch when he had runners on base and really needed the out.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
How about we go all the way to the begining and look at Buehrle's performance vs Seattle.... I think we won that game with 2 Konerko HR's.

Yes, I was waiting for somebody to mention this performance. I was at the game. Was almost pissed off cause we missed the first inning and the game was only an hour and a half long. Mark was doing his thing and I missed about two innings while I was at a concession stand. Basically saw about 45 minutes worth of baseball.

DAMN YOU MARK BUEHRLE!!!

:)

By the way, Buehrle only gave up 3 hits in that game. Take a wild guess on who hit them all.

Edited by KevHead0881

Jose's last two starts against the Twins and Tigers. Both games we were coming off of 2 game losing streaks. The one against the Twins was the biggest game of the year I think, after losing to both to Cleveland and Minny. He stepped up really big in that game.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)

Also the best thing about that Garland thing in Baltimore..... is his very next start he got Soriano out with the same pitch when he had runners on base and really needed the out.

how the hell did i forget that seattle performance?

I came home for the weekend for that game, I honestly was a little upset that I only got to spend like an hour and a half at the park :lol:

not a great performance, but one of the best pictures left in my mind was brandon pitching against boston, and i want to say it was to varitek or trot nixon, and he started out changeup, curve ball, fastball, curve, change and the batter looked lost on every single pitch that was thrown. To me it was teh AB that signified that Bmac had what it takes not only to pitch in the bigs but to make big league hitters look plain silly

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I was at that game, and had no idea how sick that pitch was till I got home.

same, that one pitch really put Jon on the map. He was off and running after that victory and so was the team. We only won 2 out of 4 against the orange birds that weekend in what was hyped to be an early season playoff hopeful matchup, but anyone that watched any of those games could see the Sox were building upon a special season.

Contreras' outing against Cleveland in the 1st game after the All-Star Break.

Honorable Mention: His CG performance at the Cell against the Twins in September. Jacque Jones couldn't hit his forkballs to save his life.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Contreras' outing against Cleveland in the 1st game after the All-Star Break.

Honorable Mention:  His CG performance at the Cell against the Twins in September.  Jacque Jones couldn't hit his forkballs to save his life.

You could basically take any game pitched by Jose from the second half and argue it the best. He was that good.

its cool to see people remembering moments and reminding each other as well as me. After the playoffs, my White Sox pitching memories from the season were basically the first four posts mentioned in this thread. Now that everyone is chiming in, I am remembering some great games and individual pitching performances.