Cheney shoots Quail Hunter

bmags

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
Who said anything about Democrats?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Immediately, I envisioned a fight breaking out between the conservative and liberal factions of Soxtalk.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
Time to stir the pot--

How long until a Democrat uses this accident against the Bush administration?  Doesn't matter whether or not Cheney was the lone person involved; everyone associated with him will be included. I'm anticipating a comment from someone (probably Hillary) which says, "This administration has been incompetent since the moment they've entered the office. Just look at the shooting accident which occured over the weekend, for example....."

And to be clear, I'm not using this shooting accident as an example of how the Democratic party embraces cheap shots at inopportune times. I'm honestly curious to see how long it takes until someone within Congress brings it up.

Ask, and he shall receive . . .

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ridiculous how hospital staff has spun this story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184846,00.html

He has not had a heart attack in the traditional sense. As I said before, he was asymptomatic," said Corpus Spohn Hospital Memorial administrator Peter Banko.

"He will have a full life the Lord intended to have, and this shouldn't affect him one way or the other," he added.

Dr. David Blanchard, director of emergency services at the hospital, said Whittington, 78, suffered a "silent heart attack," meaning he did not exhibit any signs of a heart attack, the sweating, shoulder pain or crushing chest pain, but an EKG showed that he suffered an atrial fibrillation. The event occurred around 6:30 a.m. central time, the doctor said, and Whittington was immediately moved to the cardiac catheterization lab in the intensive care unit.

These alledged "silent heart" attacks may warrant complacency--if he were 40 years younger. Although I'm not familiar with the term, you don't need a medical degree to determine ANY irregular heart condition for a 78 year old man should be taken seriously.

A 'full life' for Whittington may have only been a few years, anyways. No can convince me this stressful event won't have an adverse effect.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Here was late night's take on it: (my favorites in bold)

"Late Show with David Letterman," CBS:

• "Good news, ladies and gentlemen, we have finally located weapons of mass destruction: It's Dick Cheney."

• "But here is the sad part — before the trip Donald Rumsfeld had denied the guy's request for body armor."

• "We can't get Bin Laden, but we nailed a 78-year-old attorney."

• "The guy who got gunned down, he is a Republican lawyer and a big Republican donor and fortunately the buck shot was deflected by wads of laundered cash. So he's fine. He took a little in the wallet."

__

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," NBC:

• "Although it is beautiful here in California, the weather back East has been atrocious. There was so much snow in Washington, D.C., Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fat guy thinking it was a polar bear.

• "That's the big story over the weekend. ... Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fellow hunter, a 78-year-old lawyer. In fact, when people found out he shot a lawyer, his popularity is now at 92 percent."

• "I think Cheney is starting to lose it. After he shot the guy he screamed, 'Anyone else want to call domestic wire tapping illegal?'"

• "Dick Cheney is capitalizing on this for

Valentine's Day. It's the new Dick Cheney cologne. It's called Duck!"

___

"The Daily Show with

Jon Stewart," Comedy Central:

• "Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt ... making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting veep since Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, of course, (was) shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird."

• "Now, this story certainly has its humorous aspects. ... But it also raises a serious issue, one which I feel very strongly about. ... moms, dads, if you're watching right now, I can't emphasize this enough: Do not let your kids go on hunting trips with the vice president. I don't care what kind of lucrative contracts they're trying to land, or energy regulations they're trying to get lifted — it's just not worth it."

___

"Late Late Show with

Craig Ferguson," CBS:

• "He is a lawyer and he got shot in the face. But he's a lawyer, he can use his other face. He'll be all right."

• "You can understand why this lawyer fellow let his guard down, because if you're out hunting with a politician, you think, 'If I'm going to get it, it's going to be in the back.' "

• "The big scandal apparently is that they didn't release the news for 18 hours. I don't think that's a scandal at all. I'm quite pleased about that. Finally there's a secret the vice president's office can keep."

"Apparently the reason they didn't release the information right away is they said we had to get the facts right. That's never stopped them in the past."

... And I didn't expect anything less of you.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Please post a link that any politician tried to blame the Bush administration?

No one would blame the Bush administration. I felt Democrats in Congress would use the opportunity to further cite the incompetency of Cheney, and by association, Bush.

Within the last week, I've seen Gore insult our nation's supposed discriminatory practices towards Arabs in Saudi Araba, in addition to a political rally during Coretta Scott King's funeral. Was it ridiculous of me to assume someone wouldn't take the shooting incident and use it to their parties' advantage?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
No one would blame the Bush administration. I felt Democrats in Congress would use the opportunity to further cite the incompetency of Cheney, and by association, Bush.

Within the last week, I've seen Gore insult our nation's handling of Arabs in Saudi Araba, in addition to a political rally during Coretta Scott King's funeral. Was it ridiculous of me to assume someone wouldn't take the shooting incident and use it to their parties' advantage?

i dont logically see how that is AT ALL possible

i hate cheney, i hate bush, but there is absolutely nothing in this issue (aside from just letting the news trickle down instead of coming out and saying it) that can be used for political gain on either side - or at least nothing that should be. any argument to the contrary would have little to no basis.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
i dont logically see how that is AT ALL possible

i hate cheney, i hate bush, but there is absolutely nothing in this issue (aside from just letting the news trickle down instead of coming out and saying it) that can be used for political gain on either side - or at least nothing that should be.  any argument to the contrary would have little to no basis.

You don't need to make huge political connection; such as relating Cheney's incompotent shooting with the mishandling of the Iraq War. It's an embarrassing story for the administration. All you need is to bring it up--or allude to it.

Whittington's condition negates its usefulness right now, anyways. If he weren't encountering "silent heart attacks", I would consider it open for pouncing.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
You don't need to make huge political connection; such as relating Cheney's incompotent shooting with the mishandling of the Iraq War. It's an embarrassing story for the administration. All you need is to bring it up--or allude to it.

Whittington's condition negates its usefulness right now, anyways. If he weren't encountering "silent heart attacks", I would consider it open for pouncing.

ok but you were saying that democrats would try and spin this against Bush which is clearly impossible to do

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
ok but you were saying that democrats would try and spin this against Bush which is clearly impossible to do

You clearly haven't been watching the past 20 years or so. Politicians can spin ANYTHING in ANY WAY they want. And that's going across political lines there.

Damn Soxy.. you beat me to posting the late nite tv liners.. :P

Oh well.. how about this..

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/02/1...06021406_04.txt

Records show Cheney never took hunter's safety classes

By JENNIFER McKEE - IR State Bureau - 02/14/2006

HELENA - Vice President Dick Cheney, who shot his companion in a Texas hunting accident over the weekend, has not taken state-offered hunter's safety education courses in either his home state of Wyoming or Texas, records show.

Eric Keszler, a spokesman for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, said Monday the state has no record of Cheney ever taking a hunter's education course.

Tom Harvey, of Texas Parks and Wildlife, said there is no record of the vice president taking a course there, either.

Both states require hunters to take safety education courses, but only for people born after a certain date. Cheney, at 65, is too old to be required to take the courses in either Wyoming or Texas.

Wyoming requires hunter's education courses for all hunters born after Jan. 1, 1966, while Texas requires the courses of all hunters born after Sept. 2, 1971.

Cheney was born in 1941.

According to information released Monday by Texas game authorities, the vice president did have a valid hunting license, but he didn't have a required upland game bird stamp a Texas requirement that went into effect at the beginning of hunting season there last fall.

Texas game authorities issued the vice president a warning citation, which they typified as "routine."

Cheney on Saturday shot 78-year-old Harry Whittington, an Austin lawyer, in the face, neck and torso with bird shot while hunting quail at a south Texas ranch, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife Accident investigation documents released Monday. Whittington was retrieving a bird behind the rest of the hunters. Cheney accidentally shot him as Whittington rejoined the group and Cheney was focused on another covey of quail.

Cheney was firing a 28 gauge Perazzi shotgun. He shot Whittington at about 30 yards, the investigation concluded.

It's possible the vice president took a National Rifle Association hunter's safety course in Wyoming as a young man.

"Our state department has only been teaching (the course) since the early 1970s," Keszler said. Before that, Keszler said, the NRA taught hunter's education in Wyoming. The state does not maintain records of hunters who took NRA classes.

A representative of the vice president did not respond to reporter's questions about whether the vice president took an NRA hunter safety course.

LMAO.. poor guy. :lol:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Ok.  I didn't say anything about Democrats ... which is what I was implying.

You are correct, I believe you said liberals.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Was it ridiculous of me to assume someone wouldn't take the shooting incident and use it to their parties' advantage?

No it wasn't, as I have stated, the conservatives on the board immediatly used is as an opportunity to slam liberals and Democrats by predicting their behavior.

Now if Chaney had been drinking, and having a couple drinks during this type of hunt wouldn't be unheard of, it still is just an accident. It isn't like he was "on duty" and in the White House, he was on vacation, enjoying some hunting with his buddies. If he had been drinking, they would have seen it, and they assumed teh risk of hunting with him. I personally will not be in the field with anyone that has had any drinks, but most of my friends during white wing season will.

Lawrence O'Donnell: Was Cheney Drunk?

The L.A. Times is edging closer to the most likely reason for the 18 hour delay in reporting that the Vice President of the United States shot someone:

"This was a hunting accident," said Gilbert San Miguel, chief deputy of the Kenedy County Sheriff's Office. "There was no alcohol or misconduct."

How do we know there was no alcohol? Cheney refused to talk to local authorities until the next day. No point in giving him a breathalyzer then. Every lawyer I've talked to assumes Cheney was too drunk to talk to the cops after the shooting. The next question for the White House should be: Was Cheney drunk?

I have never gone hunting with ultra-rich Republicans on a Saturday afternoon, but I have seen them tailgating at Ivy League football games, so it's hard for me to believe that any of their Saturday lunches are alcohol free.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20060214/...wN5bnN1YmNhdA--

You may remember O'Donnell for being the first to name Rove as source for Matt Cooper's TIME story.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Lawrence O'Donnell: Was Cheney Drunk?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20060214/...wN5bnN1YmNhdA--

You may remember O'Donnell for being the first to name Rove as source for Matt Cooper's TIME story.

They want him to be drunk so bad they can taste it.

And you know what else? I almost think the f***ing media wants this guy to die. Go ahead, flame me, but the way these f***ers are pressing on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

just because some little ass newspaper found out first. OMG!!! CONSPIRACY!

GMAFB. This discussion is so f***ed up.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
Former Reagan and Bush press secretary says that Cheney ignored his responsibility to the American people to Editor and Publisher today.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/ne...t_id=1001996613

I hate to do this, because now I'm switching the topic back to Clinton. *sigh* - but it's an easy target.

What about the whole Vince Foster mess? How long was it before that story broke?

What about Monica? The only reason that kept going as long as it did is because the press secretary went out there and lied for months about what really happened.

So now on this issue, incidentally, the sheriff was called pretty quickly, and the report's filed, yet OMG the MEDIA didn't know. STFU already.

It's all about perspective. And as usual, the press corps want a piece of ass because they were 'scooped'. f*** them.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
They want him to be drunk so bad they can taste it.

And you know what else?  I almost think the f***ing media wants this guy to die.  Go ahead, flame me, but the way these f***ers are pressing on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

just because some little ass newspaper found out first.  OMG!!!  CONSPIRACY!

GMAFB.  This discussion is so f***ed up.

Naawwwww, they'd rather see him forced to resign. On the subject of the cover up, I don't know what the big deal is. Governments always try to cover up bad news.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Naawwwww, they'd rather see him forced to resign.  On the subject of the cover up, I don't know what the big deal is.  Governments always try to cover up bad news.

You're exactly right... and the worse the news is, the more they can push the issue.

It's pathetic. PATHETIC.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
Naawwwww, they'd rather see him forced to resign.  On the subject of the cover up, I don't know what the big deal is.  Governments always try to cover up bad news.

That's not entirely true. When George Bush Sr had to go to the hospital after collapsing in Camp David in 1990, the AP had a flash before the helicopter left Camp David.

Did they think that nobody was gonna hear about this?

In other news, I read that the heart attack was caused by buckshot entering his heart. That's gotta suck. This is rapidly becoming less funny and just more sad.