Cheney shoots Quail Hunter

bmags

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
It IS a story, but it's a small story.  That's my point.  Now that the media is pissed off, it's a HUGE story.

when jimmy carter getting attacked by an angry gopher is being reported in history classes, the vice president shooting a guy in the face is a bit more important and relevant.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
when jimmy carter getting attacked by an angry gopher is being reported in history classes, the vice president shooting a guy in the face is a bit more important and relevant.

All depends on the teacher. I've never had a class where this incident was discusssed, and neither have I read a history textbook citing it.

A top level government official shoots someone and the press shouldn't report anything other than the official government account. The public is expected to accept without questioning the official government account.

Does that happen in the

United States

Russia

Saudi Arabia

All I am saying is this should be a non story. Dick Chaney should have appeared as soon as possible after the accident, explained the terrible mistake, offered to take a drug and alchohol test and been forthright. When they try and hide it, it looks like they have something to hide.

And yes, there is some predictible behavior here.

Some liberals want the whole story, enjoy the jokes, and are critical of the long delays.

Some conservatives will blame the media, and defend anything their guy does.

In my lifetime, it's the first time a Veep has shot someone, maybe that isn't newsworthy to y'all, but it sure is interesting to me. And it is uncommon, but understandable. I believe it happens a lot more than the 2.7%, but most time the range is further and it doesn't draw blood.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
Some liberals want the whole story, enjoy the jokes, and are critical of the long delays.

Some conservatives will blame the media, and defend anything their guy does.

So is it ok that I'm enjoying the jokes? I think that's about all I've posted in this thread other than the clip from this afternoon of Cheney saying he had a beer earlier in the day.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
What about notification of the lawyers family?  Shouldn't that be taken into consideration when determining when to go to the press with something like this?

Absolutely YAS.

BREAKING NEWS . . . the White House is reporting that VP Dick Chaney accidentaly shot an unidentified guest at the blah blah blah. The guest is being attended to . . . identification of the accident victim is pending notification of relatives.

Happens all the time and I am certain Chaney's people knew how to word the release.

Which would have been better:

Notification via press release in an hour and Chaney appears before the American public, shaken and apologetic

~or~

Notification almost a day later?

One of our great freedoms is we have literally thousands of eyes, via a free press, that keeps their eyes on our government, and has the freedom and protection to report on almost everything.

Nixon "I am not a crook"

Bob and Carl ~ we'll see about that.

Boris and Natashia "well that clears that up. we'll STFU"

Clinton "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Bob and Carl ~ we'll see about that

Boris and Natashia "well that clears that up, we'll STFU

Vince Foster sadly died of an apparent suicide

Boris and Natashia "how about a vodka and cavier?"

Vice President Dick Chaney accidentaly shot a guest

Boris and Natashia "well no story here, we'll STFU

They may not be perfect, no human is, but it keeps us free.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Does that include not telling the press that you shot someone in the face until 18 hours after the event?

And then not accepting blame for the event until today?

Could you please point out where in the Texas hunting code it saids that you have to report hunting accidents to the press, and how long is proper to wait for a news confrence afterwards?

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
Does that include not telling the press that you shot someone in the face until 18 hours after the event?

And then not accepting blame for the event until today?

Was Cheney under oath? :huh

Curious to see some people's reactions in here if it were the exact same circumstances but it happened to Al Gore while he was Veep. We might not see as many 'who gives a s***' responses from certain people.

Edited by BigSqwert

Where are the "who gives a s*** responses?" They reported this to the proper authorities, made sure the guy got treatment, and made sure the people who were obligated to know, knew. The VP has been full cooperational with the police investigating this event. Now if you have proof of an actual allegation of wrong doing that is one thing. The only legitimate one I have heard so far had to do with the state of Cheney's hunting licence, and low and behold that was taken care of as well.

I just think it is ironic that "certian people" are throwing rocks while living in glass houses... as usual.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
Curious to see some people's reactions in here if it were the exact same circumstances but it happened to Al Gore while he was Veep.  We might not see as many 'who gives a s***' responses from certain people.

IF IT WAS GORE WE SHOULD HAVE HIM STRUNG UP ON THE NEAREST SOUR APPLE TREE!!!!!!

Seriously though.........

As much as I disagree with Al Gore a hunting accident has nothing to do with politics. People are human and mistakes get made sometimes. This should be a non-story no matter who happens to be in office.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)

IF IT WAS GORE WE SHOULD HAVE HIM STRUNG UP ON THE NEAREST SOUR APPLE TREE!!!!!!

As much as I disagree with Al Gore a hunting accident has nothing to do with politics.  People are human and mistakes get made sometimes.  This should be a non-story no matter who happens to be in office.

Unless he was acting irresponsibly.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)

As much as I disagree with Al Gore a hunting accident has nothing to do with politics.  People are human and mistakes get made sometimes.  This should be a non-story no matter who happens to be in office.

I disagree. Shooting someone in the face will always be a big story for a politician or celebrity. And this incident was handled poorly. We cannot say with 100% certainty that it was just a mistake. Who knows, although unlikely, maybe Cheney did it on purpose or he was wasted, etc. So you just can't dimiss this as a non-event and immediately chalk it up as an accident.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
I disagree.  Shotting someone in the face will always be a big story for a politician or celebrity.  And this incident was handled poorly.  We cannot say with 100% certainty that it was just a mistake.  Who knows, although unlikely, maybe Cheney did it on purpose or he was wasted, etc.  So you just can't dimiss this as a non-event and immediately chalk it up as an accident.

Well, unless you have evidence he was wasted or evidence he acted with malice you should give the man the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
I disagree.  Shotting someone in the face will always be a big story for a politician or celebrity.  And this incident was handled poorly.  We cannot say with 100% certainty that it was just a mistake.  Who knows, although unlikely, maybe Cheney did it on purpose or he was wasted, etc.  So you just can't dimiss this as a non-event and immediately chalk it up as an accident.

Shooting someone in the face should be a big story regardless of the person behind the trigger..

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Where are the "who gives a s*** responses?" 

See NUKE's response above which reads: This should be a non-story no matter who happens to be in office.

:D

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I disagree.  Shooting someone in the face will always be a big story for a politician or celebrity.  And this incident was handled poorly.  We cannot say with 100% certainty that it was just a mistake.  Who knows, although unlikely, maybe Cheney did it on purpose or he was wasted, etc.  So you just can't dimiss this as a non-event and immediately chalk it up as an accident.

I see, guilty until proven innocent.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
See NUKE's response above which reads: This should be a non-story no matter who happens to be in office.

:D

And if you are basing your wide ranging generalized responses off of what Nuke has to say, I'd say you need to do more research.