IU Coaching News

mreye

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
So on ESPN tonight I heard like 5 times that IU had to let go of Bobby Knight and admit that he's not coming back, and I'm sitting here thinking "There are actually people who think Bobby Knight should/would/could come back?"

People obviously forget that 1-6 record in the tournament in his last 6 years.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
People obviously forget that 1-6 record in the tournament in his last 6 years.

Some of us haven't.

Then again, that's significantly better than Mike Davis's tourney record the last 2 years, and probably including this year too.

Found this on www.czabe.com

Mike Davis is out at Indiana, only he’s “in” for the rest of the season. Hard to believe that a school would allow a guy to ride out his own filthy season to a close. That’s usually reserved just for honored long time coaches. What happens if Davis and the Hoosiers roll in to the last home game with a 4 game skid? Fun times…

Now here’s something really funny. Read the following….

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- This is the season you didn't want, and you know who you are. Maybe you smiled as you visited FireMikeDavis.com. Who knows, maybe you're the one who founded the stupid website. Whatever the case, you wanted the Indiana basketball team to struggle this season -- not embarrassingly so, but enough to satisfy your bloodlust for Mike Davis' job

Find another host, parasite.

Mike Davis has coached his way off the hot seat and into a long-term contract extension at Indiana. Nothing on the contract front has been announced. It hasn't even been discussed. But it will happen, and it should happen soon. If I'm Indiana athletics director Rick Greenspan, I'm finalizing Davis' contract extension soon.

Because the price keeps going up.

Now, guess who wrote it? Answer: Greg Doyel, CBS Sportsline

When did he write it? January 17th, 2006!

As they say: “DOH!”

I originally wasn't in favor of going after Alford and I am not sure that has changed. But I am starting to warm up to the idea. Even though I am not convinced he is the right guy for the job, allow me to play devil's advocate and go "pro-Alford" for a moment.

1. I do think Alford's connections would help him at IU and give him an advantage he did not have at Iowa.

2. Alford's record at Iowa has been criticized. While the record cannot be argued, I am a firm believer that all of us get better with experience in whatever we do. Some coaches are good from the start. Some just aren't meant to be head coaches. Others, most I would argue, learn and develop as they gain experience. Going through tough times and criticism at Iowa should make him better.

3. I believe the Pierre Pierce situation and the disappointment of the performance of the team with Recker will help him. As much as I would rather never discuss Bob Knight again, I think going to Knight after that disappointing season helped him understand how to handle difficult teams/players. Having to deal with Pierre Pierce should have taught him a lot in terms of what kinds of players to go after and how to handle problems in the program. Hopefully, in the future, he will have enough confidence to deal with a problem, regardless of how talented the player is.

4. Alford's father, a popular former HS coach in Indiana, can't do anything but help him develop the relationships necessary with the state's HS coaches.

Again, I am not sure that he is the right guy for the job, but if the IU Administration does their due dilligence, and they decide he is indeed, then I will support him from Day 1. My biggest problem with the original hiring of Davis was they never really searched for the right fit. The caved to the demands of the current players at the time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Indiana is in trouble if the rest of the fanbase agrees with you.

If they want someone associated with IU than Alford is by far the best choice. I buy the fact that Alford is the best choice of the candidates I think they could get. What makes me even madder is that when Alford leaves I'm guessing Freeman is gonna jump ship with him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
If they want someone associated with IU than Alford is by far the best choice. I buy the fact that Alford is the best choice of the candidates I think they could get.  What makes me even madder is that when Alford leaves I'm guessing Freeman is gonna jump ship with him.

Yeah, that would suck for Iowa. I don't know, after further review there are good candidates out there for IU, i'm just not so sure any of them are associated with IU like they seem to want.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
Yeah, that would suck for Iowa.  I don't know, after further review there are good candidates out there for IU, i'm just not so sure any of them are associated with IU like they seem to want.

Alford is by far the best of former IU guys. Maybe they'll grab Isaih Thomas after he gets s*** canned from New York. Now that I'd love :D

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Hahaha, he'd recruit 13 6'4 shooting guards who shot 31 percent from the field in HS.

And all of the shooting guards would go around talking how they are going to be the greatest team ever assembled.

I'm thinking he'll even bring Jamal Crawford over to help em coach defense :P

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
See, think about this.  Alford would not even be close to a candidate, if he wasn't an IU alumi.  That's really all I see he has going for him.  He wouldn't be someone we'd be looking at otherwise; that's why I can't get excited about him.

Thats a big factor though. Your right cause he's still signed for a few more years at a more than fair rate for himself (he has a good contract at Iowa).

I don't see many top notch coaches will to leave there respected programs for IU though. Especially considering all the threats from some of there top players to leave now that Davis is gone.

They'd essentially have to come in and rebuild the program while most top coaches have a there nucleus built where they are. Thats why I think if its not Alford it almost has to be someone whose not coaching this year.

The only exception I can see is Cream cause IU is an upgrade over Marquette.

Players said the same thing when Knight got fired, and nobody left.

WH said Dee, Luther, and Williams all said the same thing when Self left, and they didn't leave.

I still think you're underrating what kind of job IU is. It's still really high up there with history, prestige, etc. We're not there currently, but it can be argued that the perception exists that it is.

And if we get the kind of coach we have the ability to pick up during this time, they could keep DJ and Vaden from transferring.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Players said the same thing when Knight got fired, and nobody left.

WH said Dee, Luther, and Williams all said the same thing when Self left, and they didn't leave.

I still think you're underrating what kind of job IU is.  It's still really high up there with history, prestige, etc.  We're not there currently, but it can be argued that the perception exists that it is.

And if we get the kind of coach we have the ability to pick up during this time, they could keep DJ and Vaden from transferring.

If ND football wasn't as popular of a vacancy after a few down years than no one is going to convince me that top coaches that are already with winning and succesful programs are going to end up jumping ship and joining IU.

Alford is the exception cause this might very well be his dream job (and well he's not consistently proven himself as a top coach). Tom Cream is the guy I'd easily see leaving Marquette.

Also, the reason IU hired Davis so quick is because the players liked him and said they would stick around if Davis came back (thats why they named him the interim coach so quick and then finally when Alford got his extension at Iowa, he was named the full time head coach).

Of course if Mike Davis doesn't get hired elsewhere, I don't know why they'd leave cause I thought the whole reason for leaving was so they could rejoin Davis somewhere.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)

Not completely accurate. There were rumblings of potential transfers but none of them ever said they were leaving and I know Luther didn't. Dee was quoted as being 50/50 but that was quickly refuted by his mom who said he wasn't going anywhere.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Not completely accurate.  There were rumblings of potential transfers but none of them ever said they were leaving and I know Luther didn't.  Dee was quoted as being 50/50 but that was quickly refuted by his mom who said he wasn't going anywhere.

Yeah the main point is that players always react without thinking it through when a coach leaves. They just react to what happens without thinking of the impact it will have down the road. Cooler heads usually end up prevailing.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 06:10 AM)
Indiana is in trouble if the rest of the fanbase agrees with you.

Right, because you are so much smarter than college coaches, administrators and fans of IU's program.

One of these days something smart will come out of your keyboard. The question is, after all the drivel you put out now, will anyone pay attention and notice?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
I think Vaden, being a local kid, will stay.  However the ONLY reason White came to Indiana was Davis, so I think he will leave.

I'd almost bet the opposite will happen.

If Davis does not get another head coaching job at a good D-I school (which I do not believe he will) then DJ White would be facing the decision to sit out a 2nd consecutive season before playing. Once the reality is faced and emotion wears off, I don't think that would be in his best interests. White said Davis was teh reason he came to IU but he did not say that he was definitely leaving. He implied that may be the case, but he left it at that.

Vaden on the other had, said he already knows what he is doing and has a plan and that it definitely did not include staying at IU. While that could change, he certainly spoke with a different tone than White.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
Right, because you are so much smarter than college coaches, administrators and fans of IU's program. 

After having gone to IU and dealt with their administration...well...that might not be a huge accomplishment.

Jas, I think you are underestimating how good of a job IU is.

It's not like you are rebuilding a baseball team here.

You can have that program back up and running in two years with a good recruiting class.

If White and Vaden stay (which I see happening), it's not a huge overhaul. Plus you'd have Wilmont and Ratliff to boot and a few recruits. That's a damn good nucleus.

With a good coach they'd be ultra competitive next season.

I mean if DJ says he is leaving and actually does, his stock will just flat out plummet. All he needs is a solid year and he is a first round pick. Once he gets off the emotion roller coaster of this ordeal, I think he reconsiders and returns.

As far as Vaden goes, he could go either way I think. These guys are just speaking out of emotion.

I think if MD doesn't get a job next year and these guys ask for advice on what to do, then MD is going to tell them to stay at IU. I think he genuinely does want IU to do well.