Will Barry Bonds Surpass Hank Aaron?

kevin57

Do you predict Barry Bonds will surpass Hank Aaron's HR record this year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you predict Barry Bonds will surpass Hank Aaron's HR record this year?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on his knee. If he plays 140 or so games he gets it. He is just way too good of a hitter not to. But, I'm not sure he'll play that many games. Bone on bone doesn't sound too good. Should be fun to watch though. His ABs are the most exciting (excluding IBB) in the league, other than our players of course.

We also don't know how being at least 1 full year off of steroids will hurt him. We saw Giambi have his first season off of the juice fall apart with a tumor, then we saw him recover last year and still hold onto some of the steroid-related strength. Bonds improved even more than Giambi thanks to the stuff...the question is how his body, which is even older than Giambi's, will hold up without the added chemical assistance.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Selig, who considers Aaron among his most valued friends, might break out champagne if Bonds does follow through on the retirement plans he announced in a story reported by USA Today's Bob Nightengale.

Sunday, Bonds qualified his comments, telling MLB.com, "If I can play [in 2007], I'm going to play; if I can't I won't. If my knee holds up, I'll keep on going. I'm playing psychological games with myself right now."

Whats it gonna be Bonds? First you were done after this year, now you are gonna play if your knee feels good.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
I seriously doubt he breaks it this year, but I bet he breaks it eventually.  There's no way that one of the most selfish players in baseball will retire without the record.  He'll get it, and it'll be a sad day in the history of baseball.

Good point. Even in a 'bad' year for Bonds, he's gonna put up 20-25 hrs. I don't think anyone who is that close to breaking the record wouldn't come back.

.286 .404 .667 1.071

5 HR in 42 AB last year. Despite an f'ed up knee. Incredible.

As long as the knee holds up he will get there. All about the health of his knee. I know your eyesight sucks as you get older (at least mine has) but I don't think it will matter. If he plays 130-140 games he'll get there.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Whats it gonna be Bonds?  First you were done after this year, now you are gonna play if your knee feels good.

I think he will retire when one of the following events happens: They either come up with a Human Growth Hormone test via Urine or the MLB Players Association allows for blood draws. I dont think he is on Horsey Testy Juice anymore, but Human Growth Hormone. Sure.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I think he will retire when one of the following events happens: They either come up with a Human Growth Hormone test via Urine or the MLB Players Association  allows for blood draws.  I dont think he is on Horsey Testy Juice anymore, but Human Growth Hormone.  Sure.

You know, I never got an answer to any of my questions back in November about whether or not the MLB's new drug testing agreement provided for any means of testing for HGH. Did anyone else find that bit of info anywhere?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
You know, I never got an answer to any of my questions back in November about whether or not the MLB's new drug testing agreement provided for any means of testing for HGH.  Did anyone else find that bit of info anywhere?

I think that they cant check for it due to the fact that HGH is not covered under the current urine drop tests. They are working on a test for HGH in urine, but for right now the only way they can spot it is via a blood stick. Which the players association doesnt have to allow under the current agreement.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
I think that they  cant check for it due to the fact that HGH is not covered under the current urine drop tests.  They are working on a test for HGH in urine, but for right now the only way they can spot it is via a blood stick.  Which the players association doesnt have to allow under the current agreement.

I know that was the case under the old agreement in place before last November...are you sure they didn't change it when they agreed to the new tests, the 50 game suspension, and the tests for amphetimines?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
I know that was the case under the old agreement in place before last November...are you sure they didn't change it when they agreed to the new tests, the 50 game suspension, and the tests for amphetimines?

I just think its a limitation of the urine tests. I believe that when they can test for HGH in Urine it will be allowed, but under the current agreement I dont think they can perform blood draws.

You can test for Amphetimines in urine.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
I wish there was an option for "I hope not."

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
As do I.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^

I rarely cheer against anything is sports, but that Baroid is one of them. It will be a sad day if he does.

Even if he's totally healthy and plays close to 162 games (he's only played over 150 once in the past 8 years), I don't think he gets it this year. The 3 years after hitting 73 he put up 46, 45, and 45 homers. That's about tops for what he will get this year. People just aren't going to pitch to him, assuming he's his old self. If he's a little off or has some nagging injury the puts him on the DL for a while (which seems fairly likely), he's down to the 35-40 range, which seems fairly realistic.

I find it hard to believe he'd retire without the record. However, I just don't think he does it this year.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Even if he's totally healthy and plays close to 162 games (he's only played over 150 once in the past 8 years), I don't think he gets it this year. The 3 years after hitting 73 he put up 46, 45, and 45 homers. That's about tops for what he will get this year. People just aren't going to pitch to him, assuming he's his old self. If he's a little off or has some nagging injury the puts him on the DL for a while (which seems fairly likely), he's down to the 35-40 range, which seems fairly realistic.

Who's hitting behind him?