*Official* MVC Tournament Thread

This is the most important tournament in terms of bubble teams. It's also completely wide open and is going to be damn fun. The 7-10 and 8-9 games start it off on Thursday. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on the bubble teams, predictions, who's going to get into the NCAA tourny and who isn't, etc. The bracket given on the mvc website is a pdf file and since I'm horrible with computers I have no clue how to get the bracket on here. Anyways, here's the seedings and matchups:

1. Wichita State

2. SIU

3. Missouri State

4. Creighton

5. Bradley

6. UNI

7. Evansville

8. Drake

9. Indiana State

10. Illinois State

Thursday, March 2

Game 1 - Drake vs. Indiana St., 6 p.m.

Game 2 - Evansville vs. Illinois St., 8:30 p.m.

Friday, March 3

Game 3 – Wichita St. vs. Winner Game 1, noon

Game 4 – Creighton vs. Bradley, 2:35 p.m.

Game 5 – SIU vs. Winner Game 2, 6 p.m.

Game 6 – Missouri St. vs. Northern Iowa, 8:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 4

Game 7 - Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 1:30 p.m.

Game 8 - Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 4 p.m.

Sunday, March 5

Game 9 - Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 1 p.m.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Championship game is on cbs by the way. The mvc is big time now. :P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ISU, yay!

But seriously, I think the MVC is a good bet to get 4 teams into the tournament. Wichita State is in, if SIU beats ISU/Evansville, which they should, they'll be in, the winner of the UNI-Missouri St game will get in and Creighton should get in. Bradley would have to beat Creighton to have any shot to get in. I wouldn't be too confident in the loser of the UNI-Missouri St. game getting in though.

Also, I think that the Friday and Saturday games are all on Comcast Chicago. :headbang

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
Go ISU, yay!

But seriously, I think the MVC is a good bet to get 4 teams into the tournament. Wichita State is in, if SIU beats ISU/Evansville, which they should, they'll be in, the winner of the UNI-Missouri St game will get in and Creighton should get in. Bradley would have to beat Creighton to have any shot to get in. I wouldn't be too confident in the loser of the UNI-Missouri St. game getting in though.

Also, I think that the Friday and Saturday games are all on Comcast Chicago. :headbang

I see it a bit different then you, though I'm pretty sure we'll get atleast 4 depending on what happens. Wichita State and Missouri State are in, both have top 20 rpi's, even if Missouri State lost to UNI there rpi wouldn't drop that much. One team in the last 15 years in the top 30 of the rpi has been left out and I believe that team was ineligible. UNI is probably in no matter what but they've fallen awfully close to the bubble and will have to sweat it out a bit if they lose Friday, though like I said I think they'll be fine. The Creighton/Bradley game could be an elimination game though once again Creighton should be ok if they lose. It's a must win for Bradley, they lose and they're done, they win though and there is a good shot they're in. As far as SIU, Friday is a must win, we get upset and we're done. If we lose on Saturday we'll be sweating things out, we'll be directly on the bubble with a decent shot to get in but it sure wouldn't be comfortable. We get to the championship game and we're in.

I really can't wait for Friday, this weekend is going to be a blast, so much good basketball.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
I see it a bit different then you, though I'm pretty sure we'll get atleast 4 depending on what happens.  Wichita State and Missouri State are in, both have top 20 rpi's, even if Missouri State lost to UNI there rpi wouldn't drop that much.  One team in the last 15 years in the top 30 of the rpi has been left out and I believe that team was ineligible.  UNI is probably in no matter what but they've fallen awfully close to the bubble and will have to sweat it out a bit if they lose Friday, though like I said I think they'll be fine.  The Creighton/Bradley game could be an elimination game though once again Creighton should be ok if they lose.  It's a must win for Bradley, they lose and they're done, they win though and there is a good shot they're in.  As far as SIU,  Friday is a must win, we get upset and we're done.  If we lose on Saturday we'll be sweating things out, we'll be directly on the bubble with a decent shot to get in but it sure wouldn't be comfortable.  We get to the championship game and we're in. 

I really can't wait for Friday, this weekend is going to be a blast, so much good basketball.

You're probably right about Missouri State already being in, but I think UNI is a little questionable, they've struggled recently as has SIU. It's just strange to think that the MVC could get as many as 5 teams because in past years 3 was considered good. Of course all of this depends on who wins the other tournaments to get the automatic bids.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
You're probably right about Missouri State already being in, but I think UNI is a little questionable, they've struggled recently as has SIU. It's just strange to think that the MVC could get as many as 5 teams because in past years 3 was considered good. Of course all of this depends on who wins the other tournaments to get the automatic bids.

Yup, everything is dependable on the tourny and if the Memphis's, Bucknell's, GW'S, and Gonzaga's of the world win their tourny's. Just looking at the numbers the Valley really could get 6 in but I just don't see it happening because I just don't see the committe giving that many bids to a non bcs school. As far as UNI goes, in any other year UNI would be in deep trouble but the bubble is weak this year and with UNI having some really good wins over Iowa and LSU in their non conference schedule they should still be ok if they lose their first round game. That being said if they do lose first round, I would definitely not be comfortable if I were a UNI fan come selection sunday.

Jay Bilas was talking just yesterday about the MVC deserving 6 teams in the tournament. Considering just one week ago he was saying that the MVC deserved only 3 teams, I have no idea what that means. ;)

I pretty much follow what Lunardi says, and he has SIU in right now. The guy is arrogant and pompous, but he is right most of the time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
What you gonna do when Marcellus Sommerville and Patrick O'Bryant run wild on you?

/obligatory post in this thread.

Eh, atleast if we face them we're in the ncaa tourny. :P They're definitely the favorites though imo entering this thing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
Count me in as someone rooting for SIU.  Its where my mom went to school (actually just found this out) so I wouldn't mind seeing them win.  And just cause its an Iowa school I hope UNI does well too.

I'll root for SIU just so Rowand doesn't hurt himself

Witchita State is the only tourney lock that I can see. Missouri State has picked up some good wins of late and probably becomes a lock if they beat UNI. UNI is probably in because of their big out of conference wins over Iowa and Bucknell, but they could be in trouble if they lose. They really haven't been playing well of late. SIU also hasn't been playing all that well. I don't think they can afford a loss. Creighton also is in danger. They've got 3 probables and a good shot at 4. 5 looks like a longshot, but who knows until some of these other auto-bids get figured out.

This is definitly the conference tournament I am most excited to watch this March. The level of play and emotion starting on Friday is going to be off the charts, every single one of those games on Friday could go either way and really in every single game something big is at stake.

Should be a real fun weekend.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
First game in the books: Indiana State beats Drake 72-63 after scoring 10 in the first half.  The Trees play the Shocks tomorrow.

WTF? They only scored 10 points in the first half? Please tell me that was an error?

Edit: You're right. 10 first half points. I can't believe it.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Evansville is so bad and I want a new coach there so bad, I am not sure I can actually root for them tomorrow night.

They've played better as of late and have everyone returning next year, they could be pretty solid next year. We gotta take care of business tomorrow, can't lose to Evansville twice this year, if we do..POP.