Official Big Ten Tourney Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
OSU should have better legs than MSU had, that's for sure.

If Iowa gets in the finals I could care less. A win would be cool, but I just want them entering the real tourney healthy.

And if we meet OSU in the tourney, I know the Hawks are capable of beating them. We took them out once this year (although we beat everyone at home).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
That's why it's over, you guys (at least based on what games I've seen) are good at the line late in games. 

3 pos. game with 22 seconds left, now it's for sure over.

We are a good shooting free throw team. But there were a couple games recently that we held onto, but gave the other team life based on poor free throw shooting. Horner had been in a mini slump at the line.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
If Iowa gets in the finals I could care less.  A win would be cool, but I just want them entering the real tourney healthy.

And if we meet OSU in the tourney, I know the Hawks are capable of beating them.  We took them out once this year (although we beat everyone at home).

I was referring more to the game that's up next, not tomorrow's game.

I doubt tomorrow's game would really affect seeding that much anyway.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I was referring more to the game that's up next, not tomorrow's game.

I doubt tomorrow's game would really affect seeding that much anyway.

I realize that. I just have to say I think Iowa, Ill, and OSU are capable of beating almost any team in the country. I don't think we could handle Nova or Uconn.

Texas gave us some trouble early in the year, but at the same time we were in that game for a large chunk of it.

God I'm getting my hopes up for a horrid collapse.

Well Iowa moves to the finals for the 3rd time in Alford's tenure. I'm sorry, if I were an IU fan all I'd have to do is watch at how Alford's coached the Hawkeyes this year.

I'd be all over hiring him. The guy lives IU basketball and would be a huge improvement at in state recruiting. Give him the pipeline IU can have access to and he'd do some really good things.

Horner

Haluska

Hansen

Brunner

Henderson

Everyone of these guys has consistently gotten better and thats a sign of a good coach. Even Tony Freeman has consistently improved throughout his freshman season. God I hope Iowa can somehow keep Alford.

He's shown me he's gotten past his mistakes (ie Pierce). Its just tough to recruit at Iowa, especially with ISU whipping us in recruiting.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Fixed.

:lolhitting

Hey, you probably know more than I do about this, but how has Alford been doing with recruiting this year? Do we have any decent ones coming in. My guess is all the speculation with Alford/IU is hurting him, but at the same time our strong play and almost the rebirth of fanship has to be helping (it seems like the crowds started to get really good late this year).

I know little about college recruiting, usually I just know what I watch from a year to year basis.

By the way, do you think Alford has improved a lot this year? Or am I just crazy, cause he really has gotten the best out of these guys and I love how this team plays defense. I've long been a believer if you can consistently play defense you'll have a shot to win any game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
If IU wins now the game tomorrow will be almost impossible to watch, i may have to utilize the mute button.

LOL. Nice win by Iowa. It was rather ugly. But I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss anyday of the week. I still don't see Indiana beating OSU. Although they're as hot as anybody in the conference.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
If Iowa gets in the finals I could care less.  A win would be cool, but I just want them entering the real tourney healthy.

And if we meet OSU in the tourney, I know the Hawks are capable of beating them.  We took them out once this year (although we beat everyone at home).

That was a close game that you played at home and got a lot of phantom calls. This will be on a neutral court and hopefully the officiating will be better. OSU still has to get by Indiana today though. I really think they will come out hot. Thad should rip into and make sure they do not start like yesterday and allow a team like Indiana to get ahead.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
That was a close game that you played at home and got a lot of phantom calls.  This will be on a neutral court and hopefully the officiating will be better.  OSU still has to get by Indiana today though.  I really think they will come out hot.  Thad should rip into and make sure they do not start like yesterday and allow a team like Indiana to get ahead.

They should still be riding a high from the weak punishment they got from the NCAA :banghead

I don't see IU beating Ohio State either, but one can hope. IU will have a chance if they keep their intensity throughout the game and don't freaking go through a long scoring drought.

We here we go anyway, let's see what happens. Greasy you ready? He Gawn? Who else am I forgetting? Who is with me???

Let's Go Hoosiers!

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
They should still be riding a high from the weak punishment they got from the NCAA  :banghead

Weak punishment? Maybe you should take a look at what was selfimposed. They definitely would of been in the big dance last year if they didnt ban themselves from postseason play. The NCAA realized that it was the coach and not the university.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Weak punishment?  Maybe you should take a look at what was selfimposed.  They definitely would of been in the big dance last year if they didnt ban themselves from postseason play.  The NCAA realized that it was the coach and not the university.

When U of I was crippled in the early 90's, we were cited for "lack of institutional control." And what they actually found on U of I wasn't as bad as writing a check to an athlete. Most tOSU fans were expecting more punishment than what they got. I would have expected them to lose a scholarship or two or off campus recruiting or something. But NCAA won't bite the hand that feeds them (OSU football).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
:lolhitting

Hey, you probably know more than I do about this, but how has Alford been doing with recruiting this year?  Do we have any decent ones coming in. 

Iowa has 3 players signed and another committed for next year. They have Justin Johnson, a 6'6" JuCo SG, Cyrus Tate, a 6'8" JuCo PF, Jamie Vanderbeken, a 6'10" freshmen, and Malik Perry, a 6'5" SG (freshmen). All of them are 3 stars on Rivals, and neither of the freshmen are ranked in their top 150.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
When U of I was crippled in the early 90's, we were cited for "lack of institutional control." And what they actually found on U of I wasn't as bad as writing a check to an athlete. Most tOSU fans were expecting more punishment than what they got. I would have expected them to lose a scholarship or two or off campus recruiting or something. But NCAA won't bite the hand that feeds them (OSU football).

Ok I made the mistake of reading into your post. I felt as if you were saying they should have another postseason ban. I would elaborate more but the games on....GO BUCKS

DROP THOSE THREES LIKE THEY ARE HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Iowa has 3 players signed and another committed for next year. They have Justin Johnson, a 6'6" JuCo SG, Cyrus Tate, a 6'8" JuCo PF, Jamie Vanderbeken, a 6'10" freshmen, and Malik Perry, a 6'5" SG (freshmen). All of them are 3 stars on Rivals, and neither of the freshmen are ranked in their top 150.

Thats not too bad of a class correct? Ie they aren't getting any stars, but quite a few solid palyers. Plus this is a team that could use some Juco help.