Official Big Ten Tourney Thread

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Northwestern beats Penn State. That gurantees they finish at .500 even if they lose to Ohio State and gets them into the NIT (although you don't have to be .500 to make the NIT this year I guess). Plus, Northwestern has given Ohio State 2 tough games already this year, and it's never easy to beat somebody 3 times in 1 season (which is why I'm so worried about Illinois' 1st game).

Yeah i don't like playing MSU for the third time this year, but especially a week after the previous meeting. If we can win that one we should have a 2 seed completely locked up.

Also, the scheduling change they made to get the #1 seed semifinal in prime time really screws us as the 3 seed and whoever opposes us, i assume MSU. Those teams play friday at 8:10 and the winner plays saturday at 12:40. Pretty brutal.

Edited by IlliniKrush

No disrespect to the Iowa fans here, but I'm more nervous about a 3rd game with MSU on a neutral floor than I am a 3rd game with Iowa on a neutral floor. Part of it is the beating a team 3 times thing, but I'm just afraid Izzo could have that MSU team playing well at any moment, and their 3 stars scare the hell out of me. MSU also could give us issues if they ever figure out Drew Neitzel can't guard Dee Brown (although he really can't do much period).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
No disrespect to the Iowa fans here, but I'm more nervous about a 3rd game with MSU on a neutral floor than I am a 3rd game with Iowa on a neutral floor.  Part of it is the beating a team 3 times thing, but I'm just afraid Izzo could have that MSU team playing well at any moment, and their 3 stars scare the hell out of me.  MSU also could give us issues if they ever figure out Drew Neitzel can't guard Dee Brown (although he really can't do much period).

agreed. i'm not wild about potentially playing them again so soon. that said, we have played them well this year, so you have to be at least a little confident in the match-up. it would be a damn good game, though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
They are such a wildcard.  They could do just about anything in this tournament and I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think they'll do much mainly because they have played so great in Minnesota, but then struggle elsewhere. I do think they could beat Michigan, but I doubt they'd get past Iowa.

They are pretty damned good at hockey though :P (I was watching them the other night for the first time, not much of a hockey fan, but it was pretty cool)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to ensue.  We're more in than Michigan or MSU (overrated).  Tied for 4th in the Big Ten by record, 5th in the standings.

More in than MSU? I think not. Just because they are overrated doesn't mean IU is more in than them.

I expected someone to read that wrong..

However, Michigan State is just such an on and off team, and without their non-conference, they'd be closer to the bubble, if their name wasn't Michigan State. They were a huge disappointment in conference to finish that low.