Official Big Ten Tourney Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
I expected someone to read that wrong..

However, Michigan State is just such an on and off team, and without their non-conference, they'd be closer to the bubble, if their name wasn't Michigan State.  They were a huge disappointment in conference.

I read it exactly how you typed it out. Comparing their resumes, regardless of name...i would say MSU is more in than IU.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
I don't think they'll do much mainly because they have played so great in Minnesota, but then struggle elsewhere.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Not sure what the big discussion is all about.  Minny is not playing at home.  They have ZERO chance of winning this thing.

Now can we please  :D

move on?

ding ding ding!

:(

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
I read it exactly how you typed it out. Comparing their resumes, regardless of name...i would say MSU is more in than IU.

It's good to have you jump over everything I say still. As I said, Michigan State really doesn't blow Indiana away in anything except Non-Conf. If that has them more in, so be it.

SOS  1-50   51-100  101-200  201+     Non Conference    L10  RD/NT

Rnk Team Conf W-L RPI SOS Rk W-L W-L W-L W-L W-L RPI SOS W-L W-L

16 Michigan St. B10 19-10 .6108 .5951 7 8-8 1-2 5-0 5-0 11-2 17 83 5-5 7-8

34 Indiana B10 17-10 .5954 .5802 19 6-7 2-1 4-2 5-0 8-3 66 104 5-5 7-7

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
It's good to have you jump over everything I say still.  As I said, Michigan State really doesn't blow Indiana away in anything except Non-Conf. 

SOS  1-50   51-100  101-200  201+     Non Conference    L10  RD/NT

Rnk Team                    Conf  W-L  RPI    SOS    Rk  W-L    W-L    W-L    W-L      W-L  RPI  SOS    W-L  W-L

16 Michigan St.              B10  19-10 .6108  .5951    7  8-8    1-2    5-0    5-0    11-2  17  83    5-5  7-8

34 Indiana                  B10  17-10 .5954  .5802    19  6-7    2-1    4-2    5-0      8-3  66  104    5-5  7-7

It's good to have you start fights still - i guess i can't read and respond to a post of yours now?

All i argued was that MSU was "more in" than IU, which i think the numbers show.

MSU no matter how poorly they played in B10 are a lock due to their strong showing in non-conf as well as no bad losses outside the RPI top 100, the standing in the B10 does not make any team any more in than another one as teams with 10 major conference wins have not made the tourney previously

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
It's good to have you start fights still - i guess i can't read and respond to a post of yours now?

All i argued was that MSU was "more in" than IU, which i think the numbers show.

Well, you've been on the other side of me in just about every issue lately; it's not a surprise to expect more disagreement.

MSU's non-conference is their merit this year, but that's really it with their team. The committee places a lot of value on how you play in February and March, and you'd figure that would bring them down a little bit. That's why I feel that MSU and IU are close to even in that aspect, as we are rising and they're falling. Nothing more, nothing less.

Next time, I'll say "as deserving, if not more" just for you and the masses, as it's more what I've intended.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Well, you've been on the other side of me in just about every issue lately; it's not a surprise to expect more disagreement. 

MSU's non-conference is their merit this year, but that's really it with their team.  The committee places a lot of value on how you play in February and March, and you'd figure that would bring them down a little bit.  That's why I feel that MSU and IU are close to even in that aspect, as we are rising and they're falling.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Next time, I'll say "as deserving, if not more" just for you and the masses, as it's more what I've intended.

It's not a surprise to expect disagreement when i actually disagree with your post. Furthermore, i haven't commented on much of what you've said lately, so i don't know what you are talking about.

I disagreed with a statement you made, the numbers showed i had a reason to disagree, that's about it.

The comparison between Indiana and Michigan State brings up an interesting point to me. It shows how much playing in an exempt tournament can help a team's resume. For the record, I am using Michigan State as an example here, but my argument is intended to be more general about this topic.

MSU played in the tournament at Chaminade this year, giving them two extra games. They were also granted an additional exemption to play Hawaii before that tournamet started, giving them a third extra game and their 20-10 record.

I know they lost to Hawaii, but if you break down the schedules, take away Gonzaga and Arizona who they played in Hawaii, their non-conference SOS takes a major hit.

You could certainly argue that if they didn't play in Hawaii, they would have scheduled a tough non-conference game in its place, but it still has helped them and helps other teams occasionally.

Apparently the rule limiting the frequency of appearing in these tournaments is no longer in place which can be good and bad. I hope the change doesn't make these tournaments a party for big conference schools and squeeze out the mid-majors.

The pissing match in this thread was pretty meaningless. MSU and IU are both in, the only team on the bubble in the Big 10 is Michigan. To argue who is "more in" is pretty silly.

And Rex, you make a great point about the exempt tourneys, and I have a bad feeling your point about it turning into a high major party to bolster up their resumes may play out in the upcoming seasons.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I'm not, they haven't been playing all that well recently.  They definitely have the best team in the league, but in this type of set up, the hottest team usually wins.

They should have a fairly easy road to the title game. No disrespect to the Hoosiers or Badgers, I just don't think either can take OSU. It's much tougher in the other bracket. I think whoever comes out of it could be worn out. Especially when you consider the crazy scheduling. OSU should definitely be favored.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
They should have a fairly easy road to the title game.  No disrespect to the Hoosiers or Badgers,  I just don't think either can take OSU.  It's much tougher in the other bracket.  I think whoever comes out of it could be worn out.  Especially when you consider the crazy scheduling.  OSU should definitely be favored.

Alot of people didnt pick them to win the big ten regular season title either. I did. Now I expect them to continue their winning ways in the tourney.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Alot of people didnt pick them to win the big ten regular season title either.  I did.  Now I expect them to continue their winning ways in the tourney.

As you should. As an Illini fan, I fully expect them to win the conference tourney. I'd love to be wrong, though. :D

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
They should have a fairly easy road to the title game.  No disrespect to the Hoosiers or Badgers,  I just don't think either can take OSU.  It's much tougher in the other bracket.  I think whoever comes out of it could be worn out.  Especially when you consider the crazy scheduling.  OSU should definitely be favored.

Ummmm.....

They BOTH already have beaten OSU.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
Thanks for that bit of info. I already knew that. Indiana beat them AT HOME by all of two points. Wisconsin beat them AT HOME by all of 5 points. I don't think either can beat OSU in the tourney.

And OSU beat both Wisconsin and Indiana AT HOME. I'm not disputing that OSU has proven they are the best team of the three, but your point as you make it means nothing.

You may think OSU will beat both of them, but to act as if neither could, and that the previous wins by Indiana and Wisky are meaningless, is pretty narrow-minded.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
And OSU beat both Wisconsin and Indiana AT HOME.  I'm not disputing that OSU has proven they are the best team of the three, but your point as you make it means nothing. 

You may think OSU will beat both of them, but to act as if neither could, and that the previous wins by Indiana and Wisky are meaningless, is pretty narrow-minded.

Let's try this again. Despite Indiana and Wisconsin beating OSU one a piece during the regular season, I don't think either team can beat OSU come tourney time. Is that better? :)

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
Let's try this again.  Despite Indiana and Wisconsin beating OSU one a piece during the regular season,  I don't think either team can beat OSU come tourney time.  Is that better? :)

There you go! Much better. An opinion offered with nothing added that can easily be picked apart. You're learning. ;)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
There you go!  Much better.  An opinion offered with nothing added that can easily be picked apart.  You're learning.  ;)

I'm tryin. My bad if I made it sound like there was no way either could beat OSU. You never know what can happen in this conference.