White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
You talk to people through PM.  Congratulations, your prize has been shipped and will arrive in 3-5 business days.

Why don't you just stop?

Anyways, you can never have too many capable players on the bench. 162 games is a heck of a lot of games. Depth is a great tool to have when you are trying to repeat. Blum and Harris have been replaced by Cinton and Mack, that is good news.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Anyone saying we were going to now trade Iguchi and Contreras needs to stop playing XBox baseball, and get in touch with reality.  Also, if my post was so stupid, then how come not a SINGLE poster on this board stated that they disagreed with what I said.

Get in touch with reality? Perhaps thats what I was hinting at when I told those people to calm down and to realize that this is a very mediocre player who makes a very hefty amount?

Your post was uncalled for and just downright pathetic, which goes hand in hand with your track record here on soxtalk. I think many people would agree with me on that one. Hell, I bet Rock would even agree with me, regardless of how bias he thinks I am.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
Why don't you just stop?

Anyways, you can never have too many capable players on the bench. 162 games is a heck of a lot of games. Depth is a great tool to have when you are trying to repeat. Blum and Harris have been replaced by Cinton and Mack, that is good news.

:notworthy

By the way, has anyone else noted that Arizona is a great place for Baj to try to develop...simply because he can't be any worse than the guys they ran out there in their bullpen last year? It's simply impossible. They could have used Kevin Walker, IMO.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't really see how this is a bad trade.  Baj wasn't gonna get a shot here so we sent him somewhere where he might get a shot.  He wasn't in the plans, losing him doesn't hurt the Sox at all.

I agree. It's virtually a no-risk, high reward deal, this just is hardly a fleecing when you consider the player and the salary swapping places.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Get in touch with reality?  Perhaps thats what I was hinting at when I told those people to calm down and to realize that this is a very mediocre player who makes a very hefty amount?

As a reserve player, Cintron isn't a very mediocre player. And since we're not paying his salary, who cares if KW, JR, etc. feel like 1.6 million isn't too much for a bench player?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
RNW, would you rather have Alex Gonzalez, or Alex Cintron?

I'm not RNW but I'll answer this some...depends on what I need him for. If I need a starting SS and I have Manny and Big Papi, I take Alex, simply because I'm going to win more games with the defense than I am with a slightly better bat. If I have Uribe at shortstop and Iguchi at 2nd and want someone to come off the bench, I take Cintron, since I just need a serviceable backup who can carry a bat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
You ruin every thread you join, of course you wanted to.  Otherwise you wouldnt have scrolled back 8 pages to find something to quote.

I posted from school, I got home from school to read the responses. I have a life to lead. I can't sit on this damn website all day and night and respond exactly when posts are made.

I never mentioned anything in regards to the Red Sox. Once again, you and fathom are the perpetrators in this instance.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Get in touch with reality?  Perhaps thats what I was hinting at when I told those people to calm down and to realize that this is a very mediocre player who makes a very hefty amount?

Your post was uncalled for and just downright pathetic, which goes hand in hand with your track record here on soxtalk.  I think many people would agree with me on that one.  Hell, I bet Rock would even agree with me, regardless of how bias he thinks I am.

$1.6 million is not a hefty amount anymore. It is well below average. This is a fleecing because the White Sox acquired a guy who can help them at the major league level for a guy who was never going to be a contributor. It really doesn't matter what Cintron makes, we don't sign the checks, and apparently the people who do believe they can afford him.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
I posted from school, I got home from school to read the responses.  I have a life to lead.  I can't sit on this damn website all day and night and respond exactly when posts are made.

I never mentioned anything in regards to the Red Sox.  Once again, you and fathom are the perpetrators in this instance.

All I'm saying is that what is a Red Sox apologist/homer doing on a White Sox message board? Trust me....we don't give a flying f*** about the Red Sox. If I have to hear one more time about how great of a guy Manny is, I think I might have to marry him. :chair

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
RNW, Cintron is making $1.6 million this year. That is not a large sum of money.

Technically, for the final bench spot it is a decent amount. The Dbacks saved some cash and its why they made this deal. They are also getting a guy who should be solid in there pen.

That said its not excessive amount and he's a good ballplayer capable of starting if one of our guys goes down.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
All I'm saying is that what is a Red Sox apologist/homer doing on a White Sox message board?  Trust me....we don't give a flying f*** about the Red Sox.  If I have to hear one more time about how great of a guy Manny is, I think I might have to marry him.  :chair

At one point, I think you legally could in Boston.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
RNW, would you rather have Alex Gonzalez, or Alex Cintron?

I think Alex Gonzalez is a better fit with this Red Sox team than Alex Cintron is. Gonzalez is a much better defender, possibly the best defensive short stop in the game and when you couple that with an already fabulous defensive infield, and an already potent offense, I think he's not only a better player, but fits better with this Red Sox line-up than Cintron would.

Gonzalez was also had at a similar dollar amount and nothing was given up for him even if Baj virtually is nothing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Technically, for the final bench spot it is a decent amount.  The Dbacks saved some cash and its why they made this deal.  They are also getting a guy who should be solid in there pen.

Given what we've seen from him, do you really think he'll be "Solid"? I think he'll be an improvement over the mess they had last year, but I think "Solid" is probably the best they should hope for from Baj, given how hard we've seen him be hit. I hope I'm wrong, but he just hasn't proven it to me yet.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Technically, for the final bench spot it is a decent amount.  The Dbacks saved some cash and its why they made this deal.  They are also getting a guy who should be solid in there pen.

If this was last year, I would agree with you. But we aren't on as tight of a budget anymore.

I was wondering if you could confirm that Baj just bought a house in Tuscon with his new wife? I thought I heard that somewhere, and if it's true that would work out even better for all parties.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm not RNW but I'll answer this some...depends on what I need him for.  If I need a starting SS and I have Manny and Big Papi, I take Alex, simply because I'm going to win more games with the defense than I am with a slightly better bat.  If I have Uribe at shortstop and Iguchi at 2nd and want someone to come off the bench, I take Cintron, since I just need a serviceable backup who can carry a bat.

Since he wants to ignore the question. I will post the answer. If Cintron is such a mediocre player, who makes too much money, what is Alex Gonzalez, the starting SS for the Red Sox? I say that they are quite even as players, and Cintron makes less money and is younger.

Gonzalez

def .968 fpct 4.53 RF .841 ZR

off .245 .291 .391 .682

Cintron

def .974 fpct 4.33 RF .828 ZR

off .279 .320 .412 .732

It looks like we aquired a reserve player who is better than his own team's starting player, is cheaper, and younger. And we got him for basically a player who would never make the major league roster.

Oh, and Cintron makes half the amount of money that Gonzalez is making.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm not RNW but I'll answer this some...depends on what I need him for.  If I need a starting SS and I have Manny and Big Papi, I take Alex, simply because I'm going to win more games with the defense than I am with a slightly better bat.  If I have Uribe at shortstop and Iguchi at 2nd and want someone to come off the bench, I take Cintron, since I just need a serviceable backup who can carry a bat.

Good post. Agreed.

That said its not excessive amount and he's a good ballplayer capable of starting if one of our guys goes down.

$1 million is about what backups are getting these days. I think $1.6 million is a good deal for a guy who could be a viable starting SS option on some teams.