White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on for just a second here, guys.

Alex Cintron had a .298 obp last year, and has a career .320 obp. he isn't perticularly fast and isnt a stolen base threat, he has no power, he's not a very good defensive player from what im looking at, and he's going to make nearly two million dollars this season.

Personally, I think the Diamondbacks suck for trading away my cousin Jason last week and then today going out and acquiring Bajenaru, but at the same time this deal is hardly the fleecing you guys are making it out to be.

The Marlins would have traded some AAAA fodder like the White Sox did had Cintron been reasonably priced, but he's far from it.

Rotoworld brings up a good point in there disection.

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Here's a thought -

KW is looking ahead to the trade deadline.

I agree that this trade doesn't make any sense give the current roster. The Sox need relief pitching, not more back-ups.

Ozuna and Mack can both play on the left side of the infield. But Mack prefers RF and Ozuna can play just about anywhere.

So...

Maybe, if Mack does well enough, mid-season, you put Dye on the block for some middle relief help. Or Sweeney goes back to Charlotte.

Dye will underperform this year, if he doesn't injure himself first.

First of all, Ozuna is better suited as a possible pinch hitter and most often a pinch runner. He's not good enough in the field to be a primary infield backup. Mackowiak will spend most of his time backing up the outfield positions (fitting, since he's naturally an outfielder). So it makes sense to have Cintron as your primary infield backup, spelling Crede, Uribe and Gooch. Not to mention that he probably becomes our second best bat on the bench. I think Cintron will fit in quite well.

As far as filling up the bullpen, when you find that quality left-handed reliever they are looking for, please call Kenny.

Finally, not sure how you come to your conclusion on Jermaine Dye. Throughout his career, when he's healthy, he has produced. And most of his injuries are freak injuries anyway (i.e. hitting the ball off your kneecap). I'm not sure why an injury would be so likely.

Wow, just wow. I was never a big Bajenaru fan but I thank him for having this type of trade value. I'm shocked he had enough value to get a guy like Cintron who can play SS, 2B, and 3B and is a borderline starter. Amazing trade by KW. Good luck to Bajenaru where he will definately have a bigger role with the Diamondbacks.

By the way, Ozuna has an awesome contract in which he will earn $500,000 if he's on the big league club and only $320,000 in the minors.

JimH predicted this one last year. :D It seems like KW gets the guys that he's interested in sooner or later.

ESPN is reporting this on their "Bottom Line" so it's definately true.

Edited by SSH2005

Dye is streaky hitter prone to injury. Look at his career! He had a good year last year, I think he's due for a down one. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I heard, with my own ears at SoxFest, from Mack's mouth, that he preferred right field. How uninformed is that? Was anyone else at that session (the one with Thome where Mack showed up late)? Yeah, there was a whole room full of people.

Sweeny has yet to play more than 2 months in the majors. I'm saying he's going to fail, but I'm not willing to be on his success either.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)

Alex Cintron had a .298 obp last year, and has a career .320 obp.  he isn't perticularly fast and isnt a stolen base threat, he has no power, he's not a very good defensive player from what im looking at, and he's going to make nearly two million dollars this season.

Personally, I think the Diamondbacks suck for trading away my cousin Jason last week and then today going out and acquiring Bajenaru, but at the same time this deal is hardly the fleecing you guys are making it out to be.

The Marlins would have traded some AAAA fodder like the White Sox did had Cintron been reasonably priced, but he's far from it.

And this is one of the reasons some of us can't stand you on this site. Myself, and many others, are far from Sox homers. However, I'm sick of you constantly stating how every single move the Red Sox make is the greatest transaction ever. Also, if your cousin can't beat out Baj, then he doesn't deserve to make it to the big leagues (it's harsh, but it's true). I find it hillarious that you bring up a player's contract. Coming from a Red Sox fan, that's comical.

No one is saying Cintron's a superstar. However, he's a very good bench player, and is versatile enough to fill in anywhere on the infield.

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Dye is streaky hitter prone to injury. Look at his career! He had a good year last year, I think he's due for a down one. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I heard, with my own ears at SoxFest, from Mack's mouth, that he preferred right field. How uninformed is that? Was anyone else at that session (the one with Thome where Mack showed up late)? Yeah, there was a whole room full of people.

Sweeny has yet to play more than 2 months in the majors. I'm saying he's going to fail, but I'm not willing to be on his success either.

Sweeney has NEVER player in the majors, do you even know anything about this team?

He also isnt going to be on the major league roster, so what the hell are you talking about. Lets your mouth do the talking, not your ass.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
And this is one of the reasons some of us can't stand you on this site.  Myself, and many others, are far from Sox homers.  However, I'm sick of you constantly stating how every single move the Red Sox make is the greatest transaction ever.  Also, if your cousin can't beat out Baj, then he doesn't deserve to make it to the big leagues (it's harsh, but it's true).  I find it hillarious that you bring up a player's contract.  Coming from a Red Sox fan, that's comical.

No one is saying Cintron's a superstar.  However, he's a very good bench player, and is versatile enough to fill in anywhere on the infield.

Oh, if the Red Sox made this move it would have been the rip off of the century, Cintron would be a future superstar.

BTW RNW, Cintron's career OBP is the exact same as Coco Crisp. Enjoy.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
By the way, I think Gload just lost his job.  KW must not like what he sees from Ozuna at SS.

Or mack is going to mostly play in the outfield this year and he wanted another utility infielder.

Alex Cintron had a .298 obp last year, and has a career .320 obp.  he isn't perticularly fast and isnt a stolen base threat, he has no power, he's not a very good defensive player from what im looking at, and he's going to make nearly two million dollars this season.

I think it's a fleecing by the fact that Bajenaru is 28 years old. If Bajenaru was younger and had the same minor league numbers, I would probably think otherwise. Also, having seen Bajenaru pitch I'm shocked by his minor league numbers. From watching him, he throws that 91 MPH straight fastball far too much. I just don't think he will be too successful with that pitch. Good luck to him though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)

His numbers from last year are almost identical to his career averages. The only thing he was over on were homeruns.

Prone to injury. :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Sweeney has NEVER player in the majors, do you even know anything about this team?

He also isnt going to be on the major league roster, so what the hell are you talking about.  Lets your mouth do the talking, not your ass.

He's confusing Ryan Sweeney with Brian Anderson.

Kenny Williams strikes again! This is a WONDERFUL trade. In Cintron, we get a versatile swtich-hitter who can play every infield position except first. He's also got a little pop as well. As has been mentioned, he led the NL with 3 pinch-hit HRs last season. And all we give up is Baj? He seems like a nice guy and all. But it didn't appear he was gonna do anything with this organazation. Good luck to him in Arizona. Our bench is now loaded. We now have two of the premier reserves in baseball. Way to go, Kenny!

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
And this is one of the reasons some of us can't stand you on this site.  Myself, and many others, are far from Sox homers.  However, I'm sick of you constantly stating how every single move the Red Sox make is the greatest transaction ever.  Also, if your cousin can't beat out Baj, then he doesn't deserve to make it to the big leagues (it's harsh, but it's true).  I find it hillarious that you bring up a player's contract.  Coming from a Red Sox fan, that's comical.

No one is saying Cintron's a superstar.  However, he's a very good bench player, and is versatile enough to fill in anywhere on the infield.

Fathom getting on somebody about always being negative? :D

I definitely agree with you, though.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)

Let me guess, we're gonna regret trading Baj later. :lol:

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Yea, a career OPS+ of 85.  Another "eh" trade.

I guess these guys are "eh" then.

Last years OPS+ numbers of guys that were similiar.

Pods OPS+ 86

Uribe OPS+ 85

AJ OPS+ 90

Then we have to look at frame of reference. Is Alex being asked to replace those guys. No. Here are the OPS+ numbers for the group of guys he is asking to replace.

Timo Perez OPS+ 48

Willie Harris OPS+ 72

Jeff Blumm OPS+ 33

Sorry - yeah - I meant Anderson.

Some of us work for a livin and I got like 5 things going on here.

Yes. Anderson.

Dye IS a streaky hitter. He has been prone to injury. He's, what, 33 years old? Is he an All-Star? What does he bring to the table? A lifetime .272 BA?

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Sorry - yeah - I meant Anderson.

Some of us work for a livin and I got like 5 things going on here.

Yes. Anderson.

Dye IS a streaky hitter. He has been prone to injury. He's, what, 33 years old? Is he an All-Star? What does he bring to the table? A lifetime .272 BA?

I agree BA is the most important stat when measuring a players worth to his ballclub with a close second being number of All-Star appearances.

I'm beginning to hate the phrase "injury prone" it's getting close to "bush league" as the most overused, wrongfully used and most annoyingly used phrase in al of sports.