Bears interested in Ramsey

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who started 25 of 40 games from October 2002 through the 2005 opener, will not be cut. Washington hopes to trade Ramsey, who has one year left on his contract, for a second- or third-round draft pick. Chicago, Miami, Oakland and the New York Jets are believed to be interested in Ramsey but hope to acquire him for a lower-round selection.

Washington Times

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
A second round pick is definitely too much.  I think a third would be alright.

No way, the first day of the NFL draft is the place to pick up depth in the linebacking core, secondary, interior offensive line... you find very productive players there... something I just do not see in Ramsey. Angelo has shown strong draft capabilities in those middle rounds, so I would rather keep those picks.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
No way, the first day of the NFL draft is the place to pick up depth in the linebacking core, secondary, interior offensive line... you find very productive players there... something I just do not see in Ramsey.  Angelo has shown strong draft capabilities in those middle rounds, so I would rather keep those picks.

I agree, no way is he worth a 1st day pick.

Ramsey is just a backup QB and possibly a fallback plan if Grossman can't stay healthy or put it together.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
I would much rather the Bears go after Brees but typical Bears they will go the cheap route and not want to challenge the "Great" Rex Grossman.....

I wouldn't say it is going cheap or typical of the Bears. The Bears have paid players and have given up players to get high priced guys. The Bears typically spend.

If you have a guy who you think is the starter and future of your franchise, then why would you sign a guy such as Brees? Why put that much money at one position? I am not saying that I think Rex is all that, but it is what the Bears believe.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I would much rather the Bears go after Brees but typical Bears they will go the cheap route and not want to challenge the "Great" Rex Grossman.....

Brees only makes sense if the league comes to an agreement and sets up the higher cap, giving the Bears lots of room to hold onto the guys they do have. The Bears have multiple other needs they can fill through FA...especially in the secondary.

Ramsey makes sense to me as a backup. But I wouldn't want to give up a 3rd round pick for him without getting another pick back, maybe in the 4-5th rounds also. Not if it's just a salary dump.

I know it won't happen, but the bears should make an attempt to get Culpepper. Despite his woes last year, he can be a playmaker, and be a steal of a deal if obtained for a reasonable price. Now that he is coming off a major injury, his stock might have dropped, but I don't really want to deal with more qb injuries than we already have.

QUOTE(SS Gload @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
I know it won't happen, but the bears should make an attempt to get Culpepper. Despite his woes last year, he can be a playmaker, and be a steal of a deal if obtained for a reasonable price. Now that he is coming off a major injury, his stock might have dropped, but I don't really want to deal with more qb injuries than we already have.

The chances of Minnesota trading their probowl quarterback to a division rival are slim to none, and slim just left town.

I think in the right situation Ramsey can very much succeed in the NFL.

And I think they'll end up gettin a 3rd rounder for him. Remember the Travis Henry situation? They held out for a long time, and eventually the Titans ended up giving the Bills a 3rd rounder.

If the Skins can afford to hang onto Ramsey with their current cap situation, they may very well try and go down the same route here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
I think in the right situation Ramsey can very much succeed in the NFL.

And I think they'll end up gettin a 3rd rounder for him. Remember the Travis Henry situation? They held out for a long time, and eventually the Titans ended up giving the Bills a 3rd rounder.

If the Skins can afford to hang onto Ramsey with their current cap situation, they may very well try and go down the same route here.

I think a 4th or 5th will get a deal done for Ramsey. He's a solid QB and I wouldn't have a problem in that. I think he's better than any of hte QB's you would draft in that round.

However, if Daunte is released I would make a full pressed effort to sign him or at least consider doing so. The guy had 38 td's in one season and would instantly become the best QB to ever play for the Bears.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
I think a 4th or 5th will get a deal done for Ramsey.  He's a solid QB and I wouldn't have a problem in that.  I think he's better than any of hte QB's you would draft in that round. 

However, if Daunte is released I would make a full pressed effort to sign him or at least consider doing so.  The guy had 38 td's in one season and would instantly become the best QB to ever play for the Bears.

Don't forget Ramsey was a 1st round pick himself, and under Spurrier he was starting to throw the ball nicely and was beginning to put up some fairly good numbers. Then Joe Gibbs came in, and basically killed all the momentum he has because he wasn't "his guy".

The Skins should stick to their guns IMHO. Besides Culpepper and Brees, unless you go to the draft, there's not a lot of alternatives on the QB market. If I was a team like the Lions, Bills etc. I'd take a long look at Ramsey for a 3rd.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
The Skins should stick to their guns IMHO. Besides Culpepper and Brees, unless you go to the draft, there's not a lot of alternatives on the QB market. If I was a team like the Lions, Bills etc. I'd take a long look at Ramsey for a 3rd.

The Lions i think makes sense, especially given Garcia's injury history...the Bills I don't think as much. Ramsey isn't going to make or break their season, and they're already so far over the cap they're cutting key defensive people.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
The Lions i think makes sense, especially given Garcia's injury history...the Bills I don't think as much.  Ramsey isn't going to make or break their season, and they're already so far over the cap they're cutting key defensive people.

Garcia is a free agent, yes?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
Don't forget Ramsey was a 1st round pick himself, and under Spurrier he was starting to throw the ball nicely and was beginning to put up some fairly good numbers. Then Joe Gibbs came in, and basically killed all the momentum he has because he wasn't "his guy".

Don't forget too that there's not anyone who could do s*** w/ that Spurrier offense in the NFL. I still think Ramsey will be a good qb and is worth someone's 3rd round pick.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)

I reiterate, just because he was a 1st rd pick doesn't mean they will get value for him. Everyone knows they will either trade him or release him, especially considering the cap problems the Skins are having.

Plus Ramsey hasn't done anything under Gibbs and the guy took the beating of his life under Spurrier.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
I reiterate, just because he was a 1st rd pick doesn't mean they will get value for him.  Everyone knows they will either trade him or release him, especially considering the cap problems the Skins are having.

Plus Ramsey hasn't done anything under Gibbs and the guy took the beating of his life under Spurrier.

The Skins cap problems got a heck of a lot easier to deal with today.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
No way, the first day of the NFL draft is the place to pick up depth in the linebacking core, secondary, interior offensive line... you find very productive players there... something I just do not see in Ramsey.  Angelo has shown strong draft capabilities in those middle rounds, so I would rather keep those picks.

Well, it depends on what you think of Ramsey. I think he would flourish in Chicago. Then again, he would only be a back-up. I just cringe at the thought of Grossman getting hurt and having to go with Orton again. "Waits for WhiteSox Josh to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about."