Good news on Fabio Castro

SSH2005

Latest News  Mar. 9, 2006 - 7:59 pm et

Rule 5 pick Fabio Castro was tagged for five runs in two-thirds of an inning by the Royals today.

He had given up one run in 2 1/3 innings this spring. The opportunity is still there for him to claim a spot in the Ranger pen.

No offense to Fabio but I hope he continues getting shellacked so the Rangers ship him back to us.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Can I ask the obvious, if he is getting "shellacked" than why would we want him back in the 1st place?

Because it's only spring training, and he's still got a fairly good future.

Plus IIRC, he's never pitched higher than Winston Salem in high A ball.

What's with people completely discounting prospects who haven't seen hitters above a High-A level when they get knocked around by major leaguers in spring training? What do you guys expect?

First I hear that Lance Broadway should be released because he got hit hard by Vladimir Guerrero, and now "who needs this young left hander with plus stuff and a bright future! bah!"

They're prospects guys. Give them their time to learn and improve and get better. If it doensn't happen, THEN call for their head on a spike (Joe Borchard).

QUOTE(R.J. @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:37 AM)
What's with people completely discounting prospects who haven't seen hitters above a High-A level when they get knocked around by major leaguers in spring training? What do you guys expect?

First I hear that Lance Broadway should be released because he got hit hard by Vladimir Guerrero, and now "who needs this young left hander with plus stuff and a bright future! bah!"

They're prospects guys. Give them their time to learn and improve and get better. If it doensn't happen, THEN call for their head on a spike (Joe Borchard).

A+ post

How ironic if this actually happens;

Kevin Walker was credited with a victory after working a scoreless ninth Thursday against the Giants.

Perhaps the White Sox will get Rule 5 pick Fabio Castro back because of another left-hander who was in the organization last year. Walker, who gave up seven runs in seven innings for the White Sox in 2005, has struck out nine while allowing just one run and two hits in seven innings this spring. Mar. 16 - 6:50 pm et

Castro pitched 1 inning today, 0ER, 2BB's and 2K's FWIW.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
That would be more than Kevin Walker helped us all last season.

Kevin Walker is the greatest spring training pitcher in the history of major league baseball. He earned himself a callup later in the year baed soley on his great performance in spring training last year. Now he's pulling the same s*** with the Rangers, now he could very well make the opening day roster because that bastard knows how to strike out minor leaguers in March.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Kevin Walker is the greatest spring training pitcher in the history of major league baseball. He earned himself a callup later in the year baed soley on his great performance in spring training last year. Now he's pulling the same s*** with the Rangers, now he could very well make the opening day roster because that bastard knows how to strike out minor leaguers in March.

He had an ERA of 5.23 last spring.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
that was mostly because of 1 collapse at the end he had... but for the most part he pitched great.

^^^

This is very true. Comming into the year a lot of people were for sending Cotts to AAA to become a SP again and have Kevin Walker take his place in the bullpen. Not to mention when Cotts started the year off poorly and people jumped all over him, I remember the "Neil Focking Cotts" thread from the beginning of last April where Cotts was just torn a new one, there were a few people who wanted Cotts out of here and Waler up and it was only a few games into the season.

I remember Ozzie would put Cotts in some big game situations at the begining and everyone would be pissed.... than at the end of the season everyone was overjoyed and wanted Cotts in more big game situations... oddly enough thats when Marte was used moreso in those situations.

Latest News  Mar. 19, 2006 - 7:21 pm et

Fabio Castro threw three scoreless innings and struck out four against the Cubs today to earn a relief victory.

Castro, a Rule 5 pick, might not make the Rangers, but there's a good chance some team would claim him off waivers before he could get back to the White Sox. He's struck out 12 in nine innings this spring.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
I thought he would automatically be offered back to us if he didn't make the team?  So he would have to clear waivers first?

Yeah I think so. Anybody have an inkling that the Twins could claim him, considering who they have trying out for the LOOGY role?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Maybe, but it looks to me like Darrell May is going to be their lefty out of the bullpen.  He's having a good spring so far.

Perhaps but considering how bad May's been during the last 2 seasons, can the Twins afford to give him that spot even if he's midly effective during ST?

And I do think if Castro doesn't make the Rangers, he'll get claimed by some other team.

Perhaps but considering how bad May's been during the last 2 seasons, can the Twins afford to give him that spot even if he's midly effective during ST?

They signed 40 year old Ruben Sierra to serve as a pinch hitter so I'm sure Darrell May has a pretty good shot of making their team.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
I thought he would automatically be offered back to us if he didn't make the team?  So he would have to clear waivers first?

I didn't remember that either, this if from ESPN transactions primer:

A player drafted onto a Major League roster in the Rule 5 draft must remain in the majors (on the 25-man active roster or the DL) for all of the subsequent season, or the drafting club must attempt to return him to his original club. However, since a returned Rule 5 player must first be placed on outright waivers, a third club could claim the player off waivers. But of course, that club would then also have to keep him in the majors all season, or offer him back to his original club.

Occasionally, the drafting club will work out a trade with the player's original team, allowing the drafting club to retain the player but send him to the minors.

So the only way the White Sox lose him is if someone keeps him in the bigs for the entire season ---or works a deal with the White Sox.

Cheat had a good thought about this at his blog a week or so ago -- the Rangers really love Castro but probably realize that he isn't ready for the majors yet. So they could possibly offer us a low-level prospect and/or a reliever who won't make their roster. I would personally rather see the Sox risk it and let the Rangers try to keep Castro on their roster. I'd rather get him back and look for bullpen help elsewhere.

Edited by SSH2005

Young lefty keeps up the good work

By KAT O'BRIENStar-Telegram Staff Writer

MESA, Ariz. -- The Rangers would love for left-handed reliever Fabio Castro to seize a roster spot with an excellent spring.

Castro, a Rule V draftee, must remain on the active roster (unless injured) or be exposed to waivers. He has improved all spring, and Sunday's three-inning outing in the Rangers' 2-0 win over the Chicago Cubs continued that trend.

"He's the player of the day for me," Rangers pitching coach Mark Connor said, before even being asked. "He was good. I like the fact that he can change speeds and throws strikes. He's not scared out there. He gets after it."

Castro came on in the second inning after starter Adam Eaton was hit by a line drive. He retired the first six batters he faced, and gave up only two hits and no walks in three innings while striking out four. Castro's three innings were an inning more than his previous spring high.

Even Castro himself had to admit it had been his best outing yet.

"I think so," Castro said. "It was excellent, especially because I pitched three innings without a lot of warning."

His overall numbers don't look great for the spring (6.00 ERA in 12 innings pitched), but the totals are deceptive.

Five of those runs came in a one-inning outing against Kansas City on March 9. Castro has pitched six shutout innings in his last three appearances, striking out 10 and walking four. Opponents have hit just .136 (3-of-22) against him in that time.

"I'm impressed," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "The last three outings have been pretty good. ... He's got three pitches, effective to both lefties and righties. He appears to be more confident, which is a big thing with Rule V guys, to see how he handles the situation."

Still, Castro, who turned 21 in January, has never pitched above the Class A level.

Last year, he posted a 2.28 ERA in 79 innings over 53 outings at Class A Winston-Salem.

There is significant competition for left-handed relief spots in the Rangers' bullpen. Brian Shouse and C.J. Wilson would seem to have the inside track to make the club, and Ron Mahay, Erasmo Ramirez and Kevin Walker are also under consideration.

The Rangers will keep either two or three lefties. If one is able to fill a long relief role, it would be more feasible to hold on to three. Wilson, a former starter, is certainly capable of that, but the Rangers think he could be more valuable in short relief.

The possibility of Castro working in long relief is intriguing. He has only four starts in 142 minor league appearances, but thinks he could go more than three innings and added he'd do as many as the Rangers want.

"That's what we're looking at right now," manager Buck Showalter said, "looking to see if he might be a candidate for that."

Castro, who is from the Dominican Republic, has spent a lot of time around veterans Francisco Cordero, Antonio Alfonseca and D'Angelo Jimenez this spring. That can only help him.

"He's a pretty poised young man," Connor said. "He doesn't really seem to get flustered."

Two areas Castro needs to work on are his curveball, which is improving, and not trying to overthrow with runners on base.

But he is clearly on the radar for the Rangers. If he is not going to make the club, they can either trade him or try to pass him through waivers. He would be highly unlikely to clear waivers as a lefty who can touch 94 mph with his fastball.

Deadpanned Daniels: "We might trade him to our bullpen is where we might trade him."