Deal may mean bye-bye, Borchard

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

Deal may mean bye-bye, Borchard

Sox get SS Cintron; roster spots scarce

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Published March 8, 2006, 10:04 PM CST

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The White Sox got insurance at shortstop Wednesday while intensifying the scrutiny on former No. 1 pick Joe Borchard when they acquired switch-hitter Alex Cintron from Arizona for reliever Jeff Bajenaru.

Cintron, 27, is a lifetime .279 left-handed hitter who also can play third and second base. The deal allows manager Ozzie Guillen to use Pablo Ozuna as a backup second baseman as well as a pinch-hitter, with Rob Mackowiak spelling center fielder Brian Anderson and third baseman Joe Crede against some tough right-handed pitchers.

Cintron is the starting shortstop for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic and will join the Sox when the tournament ends.

The addition of Cintron will give Mackowiak more playing time in the outfield. Also, because the Sox are likely to have only 11 pitchers, his signing will narrow competition for the last backup spot among Ross Gload, Jerry Owens and Borchard.

Gload is considered a superior defensive replacement at first, which could give him an edge over Borchard and the speedy Owens.

Gload and Borchard are out of options, meaning each must be placed on waivers if he doesn't make the Opening Day roster.

The deal completes the Sox's two-year pursuit of Cintron, whom the Diamondbacks deemed expendable because of their depth at short.

"The one thing we worried about last year and this year is, if Juan Uribe goes down, then Pablo Ozuna is your shortstop, and you have lost a very valuable piece on your bench," general manager Ken Williams said Wednesday.

"Even when I approached [club Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf [for] a few more dollars to our payroll, I freely admitted to him I'm being a little greedy. I'm trying to cover our bases in every conceivable way."

Cintron batted .273 in 122 games last season but hit .304 with three homers and 12 RBIs as a pinch-hitter. His best year was 2003 when he hit .317 with 13 home runs and 51 RBIs. In 2004, his average tumbled to .262 and he committed 17 errors.

"I wouldn't label him as a backup player," said Sox third-base coach Joey Cora, who has known Cintron since 1999 when Cora was the GM for Caguas of the Puerto Rican League.

"He's going to be a good fit. He's still young. He's playing in the [WBC], so he's going to come ready to go."

Cintron will earn $1.6 million in 2006, which will increase the Sox's projected payroll to nearly $96 million.

Guillen said the final bench spot will go to "what we need."

Gload provides defense and the most major-league experience; Owens is one of the organization's fastest players; and Borchard can hit for power from both sides of the plate and play all three outfield positions.

Borchard, 27, has only two hits in 13 at-bats with four strikeouts this spring. He was 5-for-12 during a September promotion and was 3-for-4 as a pinch-hitter.

After Borchard batted .174 in 63 games in 2004, the Sox signed Jermaine Dye to a two-year, $10.15 million contract to play right field.

Borchard wasn't on the Sox's traveling squad to Tempe for Wednesday's exhibition game.

Before the game, the Sox outrighted left-hander Arnie Munoz to Triple-A Charlotte, which cut the competition for the final spot in the bullpen. Guillen said the final spot wouldn't necessarily go to a left-hander, although Javy Lopez cleaned up Tim Redding's mess in the fifth when he retired the two batters he faced with runners on first and second, and then he pitched a scoreless sixth. He hasn't given up a run in five innings.

Other contenders for the final spot in the bullpen are Sean Tracey (9.00 ERA), Redding, who was tagged for a run on two hits and a walk in one-third of an inning, and Charles Haeger, who has been working with famed knuckleballer Charlie Hough.

"We don't have that many pitchers in camp, that's why we're going to take a good look," Guillen said.

mgonzales@tribune.com

Also, Gload wants to stay with the Sox. He doesn't want to be traded...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Gload leads Sox to easy win

The Associated Press

March 9, 2006, 6:46 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Ross Gload wants to remain with the White Sox, and he made a good case for staying on Thursday.

He led off the third inning with his first home run of spring training and added an RBI double in the fourth to help the White Sox beat the Seattle Mariners 10-3.

"I've been in this situation where I've had to make the team almost every year, whether it's the Double-A, Triple-A or big league team," Gload said after going 2-for-3.

The Sox's Ryan Sweeney hit a solo homer in the fourth. Josh Fields hit a three-run shot in the eighth, and Darren Blakely added a two-run homer in that inning.

Starter Brandon McCarthy allowed three runs (two earned) and struck out three in four innings to improve to 1-1 this spring. He gave up a two-run homer to Raul Ibanez in the first and allowed an unearned run in the second before settling down.

Seattle starter Jesse Froppert was sloppy in his two innings, walking four and allowing a run on no hits. Scott Atchison relieved and gave up four runs in two innings, losing for the second time.

"My arm felt great," Foppert said. "The ball was just moving out of the zone."

Once a top prospect for San Francisco, Foppert is trying to establish himself with the Mariners.

His ride to fame stalled when he experienced numbness in his right hand during a start for the Giants against Atlanta in August 2003. He underwent Tommy John surgery a few weeks later, missed almost the entire 2004 season and went to the Mariners in the Randy Winn trade last July. He spent much of last season with the Giants' and Mariners' Triple-A clubs, although he had a 5.23 ERA and no decisions in three games (two starts) with San Francisco.

Gload is simply trying to hang on with the Sox.

He's off to a good start, with five hits in 15 at-bats.

With Wednesday's acquisition of infielder Alex Cintron, the White Sox added depth at shortstop, speed and a reliable bat off the bench. That acquisition likely means more time in the outfield for utility man Rob Mackowiak, with Gload and outfielders Jerry Owens and Joe Borchard competing for the final backup spot.

Gload gives the White Sox a reliable defensive replacement for Paul Konerko at first. Owens has speed.

Borchard, a former first-round draft pick, can play all three outfield spots. And like Gload, he's out of options -- meaning they must be waived if they're not on the Opening Day roster.

"Right now, it's too early to make a call," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

So Gload tries not to think about it.

"It's probably the worst thing you can do, but you definitely run some scenarios through your head," Gload said. "Obviously, (the Cintron trade) eliminates one spot. You just try to avoid it as much as possible."

Gload batted .321 two years ago and tied for second in the AL with 10 pinch hits, but inflammation in the left shoulder limited him to 42 at-bats and a .167 average with the White Sox last season. He bounced back and forth between the majors and Triple-A, where he hit .364.

"I had a setback last year," Gload said. "I'm not a secret anymore."

But whether he'll remain a White Sox is to be determined. And Gload made it clear he wants to stay; he does not want to be traded.

"I honestly don't want that to happen," he said. "I want to be on this team."

Meh.

Borchard is what...335 years old now?! So he hits a few moonshots inbetween his endless K's. He looks lazy, droopy and asleep everytime I see him.

Yet another example as to why "prospects" and "can't miss prospects" are a total crapshoot.

Four years ago, do you realize what we could have gotten for Borchard? Now I heard Kansas City turned us down when we offered him for their mascot. :|

So, the biggest minus with Gload has typically been pointed out as his arm from the OF. Now that he is healed from shoulder surgery, has anyone seen him throw from out there this spring? Do things look any different? I was at one spring game, but Gload didn't play.

I did see Borch play a little OF, and he did seem pretty solid out there. Especially when he was on the field at the same time as Grieve. :puke

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
So, the biggest minus with Gload has typically been pointed out as his arm from the OF.  Now that he is healed from shoulder surgery, has anyone seen him throw from out there this spring?  Do things look any different?  I was at one spring game, but Gload didn't play.

I did see Borch play a little OF, and he did seem pretty solid out there.  Especially when he was on the field at the same time as Grieve.  :puke

Gload is also shaky catching the ball in the OF.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Gload is also shaky catching the ball in the OF.

I honestly think that people are too focused on the one big error in the Cubs game in '04 (or was it '03?). But then, I also must admit I have not seen him play all that often, so I have to mostly go by stats, which are sometimes deceiving (and he doesn't have much time in at the MLB level). His stats don't seem to scream particularly good or bad to me - the ones I could find.

I honestly think that people are too focused on the one big error in the Cubs game in '04 (or was it '03?).  But then, I also must admit I have not seen him play all that often, so I have to mostly go by stats, which are sometimes deceiving (and he doesn't have much time in at the MLB level).  His stats don't seem to scream particularly good or bad to me - the ones I could find.

No, he's just not meant for the outfield. Gload doesn't have the speed, range, or arm to play there. The only place I would ever risk putting him for a very short time would be LF. I would never stick him in RF again.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I honestly think that people are too focused on the one big error in the Cubs game in '04 (or was it '03?).  But then, I also must admit I have not seen him play all that often, so I have to mostly go by stats, which are sometimes deceiving (and he doesn't have much time in at the MLB level).  His stats don't seem to scream particularly good or bad to me - the ones I could find.

In his brief tenure in the OF with the White Sox, I have seen him drop 2 flyballs, something little leaguers don't do. He can't throw, and he has no range. He is a decent defensive firstbaseman, but not exactly gold glove calibur.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
No, he's just not meant for the outfield.  Gload doesn't have the speed, range, or arm to play there.  The only place I would ever risk putting him for a very short time would be LF.  I would never stick him in RF again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
In his brief tenure in the OF with the White Sox, I have seen him drop 2 flyballs, something little leaguers don't do. He can't throw, and he has no range. He is a decent defensive firstbaseman, but not exactly gold glove calibur.

Gotcha.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)

I knew somebody would mention that "one error against the Cubs" in the manner you did. And, don't get me wrong, it's a valid point. However, I didn't judge Gload's OF abilities based on one play. I've seen too many plays where he just didn't seem real comfortable when trying to snare what should have been 'a can of corn'. He is shaky out there. Wait. Let me qualify that a bit. He's very shaky in RF. In left he didn't look quite so uncomfortable. Still, I wasn't filled with a feeling of confidence when a flyball was hit toward Gload in left.

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley10.html

Cintron deal adds to pressure on Gload

March 10, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Ross Gload took notice of Wednesday's trade that brought Alex Cintron to the White Sox. The key for him now is to do his best to ignore it.

Gload, Joe Borchard and Jerry Owens were the players most affected by the deal, for the simple fact that Cintron's presence limits the number of openings on the 25-man roster. Before the trade with Arizona, there were two reserve spots available. Now there is just one.

"[Dwelling on it is] the worst thing you can do,'' Gload said Thursday, "but you definitely bounce some scenarios through your head -- pitchers, outfielders, infielders, numbers. Obviously, that eliminates one spot.

"I've been in the situation where I've had to make a team almost every year, whether it's a Double-A team, Triple-A team or major-league team. You go out and play hard and not do anything I can't do. Be myself. They know what I can do.''

Both Gload and Borchard are out of options, so it's likely that one of them could be dealt in the next few weeks. That was one scenario Gload said he hadn't weighed.

"I honestly haven't thought about that, and I honestly don't want that to happen,'' he said of a trade possibility. "I want to be on this team. They know me, I know the organization and I'm comfortable here.''

Gload didn't hurt his cause Thursday, going 2-for-3 with a home run, a double and two RBI.

Besides playing outfield, Gload is considered one of the better defensive first basemen in the organization.

To be honest, I don't think either Borch or Gload are worth a damn. They are fighting for the 25th roster spot, and neither is going to play much, even with Ozzie as our manager. I kinda want Gload to get the job, just because I want Joe Borchard to go away and never come back, he's already a monumental bust.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
I knew somebody would mention that "one error against the Cubs" in the manner you did.  And, don't get me wrong, it's a valid point.  However, I didn't judge Gload's OF abilities based on one play.  I've seen too many plays where he just didn't seem real comfortable when trying to snare what should have been 'a can of corn'.  He is shaky out there.  Wait.  Let me qualify that a bit.  He's very shaky in RF.  In left he didn't look quite so uncomfortable.  Still, I wasn't filled with a feeling of confidence when a flyball was hit toward Gload in left.

I see others feel the same. So noted. I'll talk all of your words for it, not knowing any different.

This brings up another question. If Gload is the better stick than Borch, but Borch can play OF a lot better... which would you rather have, based purely on that? And further, which can be learned more quickly - defense or hitting?

Of course, what is probably going on behind the scenes is KW is trying to trade either one, depending on what the other team wants. That may decide which one stays.

s***, at this point, im split. Gload is worthless in the field, and shouldnt ever get a chance to play there. Which renders him almost worthless to the team unless both Thome and Konerko get a day off, or if one of them gets a day off and the other DH's. Borchard could be more valuable to at least play every once in awhile and have some success in the field. However, I feel that trading Joe might be the most beneficial course of action for him personally. Im torn between wanting him to succeed and what is best for the team.

s***, at this point, im split.  Gload is worthless in the field, and shouldnt ever get a chance to play there.  Which renders him almost worthless to the team unless both Thome and Konerko get a day off, or if one of them gets a day off and the other DH's.  Borchard could be more valuable to at least play every once in awhile and have some success in the field.  However, I feel that trading Joe might be the most beneficial course of action for him personally.  Im torn between wanting him to succeed and what is best for the team.

And you have to remember that even if Borchard makes the team, he's the fifth outfielder behind Mackowiak now that we have both Cintron and Ozuna to play the infield. Borchard would barely get any playing time unless an injury occurred. Also, neither probably has much trade value but I'm sure that Borchard must have more than Gload.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
And you have to remember that even if Borchard makes the team, he's the fifth outfielder behind Mackowiak now that we have both Cintron and Ozuna to play the infield.  Borchard would barely get any playing time unless an injury occurred.  Also, neither probably has much trade value but I'm sure that Borchard must have more than Gload.

You'd have to think that a team that has maybe a thinner OF would take a flyer on Borchard. Washington, for example, has some injuries and some player disputes. Why not give Borchard a chance to play everyday. If he could hit around 260-275 with 30 bombs, he would be worth it IMO.

You'd have to think that a team that has maybe a thinner OF would take a flyer on Borchard.  Washington, for example, has some injuries and some player disputes.  Why not give Borchard a chance to play everyday.  If he could hit around 260-275 with 30 bombs, he would be worth it IMO.

That's what I was just going to post but then I read that Jose Guillen's wrist isn't as badly injured as they originally thought. Guillen was originally supposed to miss around 3 months but now he will be able to play within a week. I was hoping that KW could steal another good prospect from Jim Bowden for Borchard. :(

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
I see others feel the same.  So noted.  I'll talk all of your words for it, not knowing any different.

This brings up another question.  If Gload is the better stick than Borch, but Borch can play OF a lot better... which would you rather have, based purely on that?  And further, which can be learned more quickly - defense or hitting?

Of course, what is probably going on behind the scenes is KW is trying to trade either one, depending on what the other team wants.  That may decide which one stays.

I believe in pitching and defense, so my answer is I'd rather have Borchard.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
You'd have to think that a team that has maybe a thinner OF would take a flyer on Borchard.  Washington, for example, has some injuries and some player disputes.  Why not give Borchard a chance to play everyday.  If he could hit around 260-275 with 30 bombs, he would be worth it IMO.

Well, another side of this token is which of the 2 might be more valuable in the future.

Say we give Gload another 200 at bats, and he hits .300+ with a few dingers, like he did at the end of 04.

Then say we give Borchard 200 at bats, and he hits .250-.260, with like 10-12 home runs, which is what he's been doing all these years in the minors.

Which of them would have more value to us as trade bait next offseason?

Well, another side of this token is which of the 2 might be more valuable in the future.

Say we give Gload another 200 at bats, and he hits .300+ with a few dingers, like he did at the end of 04.

Then say we give Borchard 200 at bats, and he hits .250-.260, with like 10-12 home runs, which is what he's been doing all these years in the minors.

Which of them would have more value to us as trade bait next offseason?

We can't do that though. Both Borchard and Gload are out of options, meaning that they either have to make the opening day roster or be placed on waivers in which other teams can claim them. So ideally, we will keep one of them and trade away the other. Borchard (27) would have the most trade value of the two because he's younger than Gload (30) and because he was once a highly rated prospect. He can also play pretty good defense at every outfield position while Gload is basically a backup first baseman.

Edited by SSH2005