Atlanta Regional

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
Duke's Sweet 16 streak

It must be asked: What good is it to be in all those consecutive Sweet 16s when Duke gets bounced in that round for the 4th time in 5 years?

Haha, kinda like the Braves streak of winning the NL East and flopping in the playoffs.

A look back:

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/2001/1003/1258909.html

4 years, 1 Final Four, 0 championship games for the "best recruiting class ever." I salute you JJ Redick, Sheldon Williams, Sean Dockery, Shavlick Randolph, Mike Thompson and Lee Melchioni. 4 McDonald's All-Americans. 0 title shots.

JJ in Dukie elmination games:

2003, Kansas, 2-16, 5 pts

2004, UConn, 4-12, 15 pts

2005, MSU, 4-14, 13 pts

2006, LSU, 3-19, 11 pts

Totals, 13-61, 11 ppg

Until Duke recruits athletic wings, they are going to have issues. Just recruiting small guards that shoot 3's and aren't plus athletes and giant guys who play inside, they need some wings/big guards. They are too slow and too white and have no 3's (by that I mean small forwards/big 2 guards), and you can't win that way, you must be more versatile.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I posted this in the other thread too so here goes. Thoughts on LSU/Texas? I think this will be a great battle between 2 very evenly matched teams. The key is which teams guards can hit some perimeter shots, whoever does that IMO wins because I think the great front lines of these 2 teams will cancel each other out. I'm going to say Daniel Gibson and the senior Paulino come up big and Texas wins a close one.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
I posted this in the other thread too so here goes.  Thoughts on LSU/Texas?  I think this will be a great battle between 2 very evenly matched teams.  The key is which teams guards can hit some perimeter shots, whoever does that IMO wins because I think the great front lines of these 2 teams will cancel each other out.  I'm going to say Daniel Gibson and the senior Paulino come up big and Texas wins a close one.

I'm gonna go with Texas because I have them in the Final Four. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least if LSU pulled it out. Like you said, the front-courts cancel each other out. I might give LSU the advantage on the perimiter.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
I posted this in the other thread too so here goes.  Thoughts on LSU/Texas?  I think this will be a great battle between 2 very evenly matched teams.  The key is which teams guards can hit some perimeter shots, whoever does that IMO wins because I think the great front lines of these 2 teams will cancel each other out.  I'm going to say Daniel Gibson and the senior Paulino come up big and Texas wins a close one.

I definitely think it will a really good game, and I agree that Texas has a slight edge because of Gibson and Paulino. LSU's guards can often struggle, especially if Darrell Mitchell has an off game. Temple is only okay, and Voogd is bad. Because of that they can often struggle to get the ball to their elite big men in the right spots. I think Texas is a bit more efficient at doing that, although both would be a lot more effective with some efficient pass-first guards.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
A look back:

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/2001/1003/1258909.html

4 years, 1 Final Four, 0 championship games for the "best recruiting class ever." I salute you JJ Redick, Sheldon Williams, Sean Dockery, Shavlick Randolph, Mike Thompson and Lee Melchioni. 4 McDonald's All-Americans. 0 title shots.

Thompson was a bust at Northwestern too, so you know he was bad. :P

While I wouldn't call it the best class ever (or even close), you certainly would expect more than 1 Final Four and no titles.

That 2002 Duke class is why i'm not annoiting Ohio State is royalty yet. Oden is a stud, but after him it's been proven time and time again that recruiting is a crapshoot.

Oh, and Texas REALLY should press LSU. They have the athletes to do it, Texas is way better in an uptempo game, and LSU's guards are s*** ball handlers.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
anyone watching this game?

Headed to OT. Been a great game. Really this has been a great tourney. Lots of close games and more importantly the fact that a lot more teams have a legit shot this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
Headed to OT.  Been a great game.  Really this has been a great tourney.  Lots of close games and more importantly the fact that a lot more teams have a legit shot this year.

it's really crazy how so many games have been this close. This bracket could be completely different with a few different bounces.