Oakland Regional

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory clearly sucks, I forgot a lot of easy ones, like NC State and Georgetown.

I got 7 for Atlanta. Duke 3, Cuse 1, Cal 1, NC State 2. Cuse has a pre-tourney title also.

For Minneapolis I got 5. One each for Nova, Zona, Wisconsin, Georgetown, and OSU. Wisconsin has 3 more in the pre-tournament era.

Illinois also has a pre-tourney title that I don't think they're counting, and so do Kansas with 2, Pitt with one, Kentucky with one, and UNC one

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
So...is there any news around about Vaden's ankle?

He's considered day-to-day, but it'll take a lot for him to not play.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...420/1004/SPORTS

Sophomore forward Robert Vaden sat on the couch during the selection show with his sprained left ankle propped up on a sofa stool. He said he's receiving treatment three times a day and is hopeful he can play Thursday. He said it's up to trainer Tim Garl as to when he can practice.

"I'm playing," Vaden said, matter-of-factly. "I just need to do the treatments and listen to the medical people and try to get back on my feet as quickly as I can. I'm really proud of our team right now and that we're seeing that our hard work the last few weeks really paid off."

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I personally like San Diego State. Slaughter and Heath are both really solid players, and Abukar, Spain, and Sharper make solid contributions. They're a pretty tough team.

I'm leaning towards them. I also wonder if Vaden's ankle will hinder him.

I'm willing to be educated here, but why is San Diego St. considered a good team? What have they done or who have they beaten? Hell, I can't even find good teams they lost to.

--Best team they played was Cal and they lost by 18

-- Split with Air Force, the team nobody thinks should be there

-- Their non-conference schedule consisted of:

Alaska Fairbanks

UIC (loss)

Southern Miss (10-21)

Albany (woo hoo a #16 seed, but a tourney team anyway)

San Diego

Point Loma??

California

Washington State (last in the PAC 10)

UCSB (15-14)

Maryland - Baltimore Co

Providence (loss - doesn't make Big East Tourney)

Loyola Marymount (12-18)

South Dakota State

I'll try to keep an open mind, but what about that schedule or the conference they play in makes anyone think they should be able to stay on the floor with Indiana, provided IU doesn't sleep through the game??

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
I'm willing to be educated here, but why is San Diego St. considered a good team?  What have they done or who have they beaten?  Hell, I can't even find good teams they lost to.

Alaska Fairbanks

UIC (loss)

Southern Miss (10-21)

San Diego

Point Loma??

California

UCSB (15-14)

Maryland - Baltimore Co

Loyola Marymount (12-18)

South Dakota State

I'll try to keep an open mind, but what about that schedule or the conference they play in makes anyone think they should be able to stay on the floor with Indiana, provided IU doesn't sleep through the game??

Watching them play. I've seen them play a good amount and Slaughter and Heath are absolute studs. SDSU is a real, real good team and in my sweet 16.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I'm willing to be educated here, but why is San Diego St. considered a good team?  What have they done or who have they beaten?  Hell, I can't even find good teams they lost to.

Alaska Fairbanks

UIC (loss)

Southern Miss (10-21)

San Diego

Point Loma??

California

UCSB (15-14)

Maryland - Baltimore Co

Loyola Marymount (12-18)

South Dakota State

It's not their schedule that is impressive. A lot of teams haven't really done anything, and they're one of them. It's their roster that I like.

They have two legit big men in Slaughter and Abukar, something a lot of major conference teams don't have. Heath was the conference player of the year and is a solid shooter and scorer. Sharper is another really solid shooter that hits for a really high percentage. Williams is a passable PG, and Spain is a pretty good all-around player.

Their roster is pretty impressive, and half of their losses came before Abukar is eligible. They're dangerous, especially considering they're in a weak bracket.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Watching them play.  I've seen them play a good amount and Slaughter and Heath are absolute studs.  SDSU is a real, real good team and in my sweet 16.

Damn, I thought I was the only one. Do you have them beating Gonzaga or Xavier?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
It's not their schedule that is impressive. A lot of teams haven't really done anything, and they're one of them. It's their roster that I like.

They have two legit big men in Slaughter and Abukar, something a lot of major conference teams don't have. Heath was the conference player of the year and is a solid shooter and scorer. Sharper is another really solid shooter that hits for a really high percentage. Williams is a passable PG, and Spain is a pretty good all-around player.

Their roster is pretty impressive, and half of their losses came before Abukar is eligible. They're dangerous, especially considering they're in a weak bracket.

Yeah, they've got some weapons.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:03 PM)
Damn, I thought I was the only one. Do you have them beating Gonzaga or Xavier?

Xavier. Xavier is starting to get things back together after losing Thornton and Finn for the year. Also, everyone knows how I feel about Gonzaga, so I like the Musketeers in that one.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
Xavier.  Xavier is starting to get things back together after losing Thornton and Finn for the year.  Also, everyone knows how I feel about Gonzaga, so I like the Musketeers in that one.

I got SDSU taking down the Zags. I don't think Xavier has enough weapons without those two guys.

Someone want to give me a Cliff Notes version of what to expect out of Alabama? Specifically, their low post game and how well (or how poorly) they rebound?

Looking at their schedule, it looks okay. Without knowing the ins and outs of college basketball, their out-of-conference schedule looks a bit weak. They beat LSU, Tennessee, and Florida, but lost to Ole Miss, played Auburn close in both games, and there's a bunch of other questionable losses on there.

Oh, and I'll echo Rowand's comments that this bracket is wide open. I could honestly see any one of seven (estimating) different teams winning this.

It'd be nice to see Marquette make it to the Sweet 16, but they have a tough road with 'Bama and UCLA. Novak is obviously going to need to get hot. If James gets into one of his little streaks where he tries to become a three-point shooter, the Eagles are in trouble.

----------------------------------------

Oh, and I just wanted to give props to Maurice Acker for winning the Freshman of the Year in the MAC. He played for Hillcrest last year, is actually smaller than me (he's probably around 5"8, 120 LBs), but he was fun to watch. I've never seen anyone (high school) who can dribble like he could. He's also quick as hell. Jerel McNeal and Acker were quite the tandem at 'The Hill'.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Someone want to give me a Cliff Notes version of what to expect out of Alabama?  Specifically, their low post game and how well (or how poorly) they rebound?

Their low post game/rebounding is very solid. They've got Jermareo Davidson, who averages 14 and 9, and Richard Hendrix, who averages about 8 rpg. They're both good shotblockers as well. They'll definitely give you guys some problems down low.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 05:41 AM)
Their low post game/rebounding is very solid.  They've got Jermareo Davidson,  who averages 14 and 9,  and Richard Hendrix,  who averages about 8 rpg.  They're both good shotblockers as well.  They'll definitely give you guys some problems down low.

All true, but the real key to this team is PG Ronald Steele. As he goes, the team goes for the most part.

Alabama was hurt early in the year when they lost their best big man Chuck Davis.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Marquette/Alabama is another game I'm torn on.  The Eagles have excellent permiter players,  but their bigs are AWFUL.  Alabama should murder them inside.  This is a tough one.

I'm not sold on Alabama outside of Tuscaloosa. The game isn't in Tuscaloosa, is it? If not, take the Eagles.