Hermanson update, not much news but...

SSH2005

Latest News  Mar. 12, 2006 - 8:22 pm et

Dustin Hermanson left Sunday's game in the seventh inning because of pain in his lower back.

Nothing new for Hermanson. "It is still early but I still have a lot of concerns about his back," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We will see what happens but we are going to go out and look for people to replace him." The White Sox could always shift Brandon McCarthy to a setup role, but beyond him, they're hurting for pitching depth, in part because Luis Vizcaino, Damaso Marte and Jeff Bajenaru were all moved in trades. Hermanson's availability for the start of the season likely won't be known for some time.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie is "very concerned" with Hermanson's back...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Hermanson dealing with pain

Allowed three runs on four hits over one-plus inning on Sunday

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- If the back discomfort felt once again by Dustin Hermanson was being felt by one of Ozzie Guillen's five starting pitchers, then the manager clearly would characterize himself as worried.

As of Sunday, Guillen simply was in the "very concerned" stage in regard to Hermanson's latest setback. Hermanson allowed three runs on four hits over one-plus innings of relief work against the Angels at Tucson Electric Park, but of greater issue was Hermanson's inability to stretch out to two frames and departing after facing one batter in the seventh.

Athletic trainer Herm Schneider characterized Hermanson's back as being plagued by "instability and discomfort," with aggressive treatment next on the docket. Though Guillen believes that it's too early to declare Hermanson's problem as serious, he readily admitted that the White Sox might be looking to fill two bullpen vacancies instead of just one.

"Right now I can't count on him," said Guillen. "We will see what happens, but we will try to figure out what's going on and look for people to replace him.

"We have to wait, and we have plenty of time to make the right move. If he's not ready for the way we want to use him, then he shouldn't start the year with us. We want healthy guys to help in the bullpen. I won't take him just to take him."

On Wednesday of last week, general manager Ken Williams said that the White Sox planned to break camp with 11 pitchers unless one was unable to fulfill his role but was not a big enough injury problem to be placed on the disabled list. He also said that every team in baseball is looking for quality relief pitching, and that he fields frequent inquiries about hurlers available on his staff or in his system.

It appears that if Hermanson is unable to break from Arizona, the replacement will come from within the organization. Left-hander Javier Lopez holds the early advantage for what looked to be the final bullpen spot, but Guillen also praised left-handers Armando Almanza and Paulino Reynoso, who both threw scoreless innings on Sunday. Tim Redding is another possibility, although the right-hander was touched for three runs on three hits and two walks in one inning against the Angels.

Guillen has been impressed by Boone Logan, the 21-year-old lefty who has never pitched a full season above Great Falls in the Advanced Rookie League. Logan will pitch on Monday in Phoenix against Oakland. Agustin Montero is another strong candidate, with the non-roster right-hander having not allowed a run in three outings.

Hermanson did not talk about the injury after the game, aside from stating that he was "OK" before leaving the clubhouse with his family. Guillen remains concerned that Hermanson's status is slightly below OK, but he knows that the team can get by for a short time without him -- especially with Hermanson only pitching 17 1/3 innings during the final two months of 2005.

"You need a strong bullpen, but some holes you can fix," said Guillen. "Like I said before, we played almost the entire second half without him [in 2005]."

Playing it safe: Scott Podsednik has not been in the lineup since March 6 and has only one hit in nine at-bats all spring. The issue, though, has nothing to do with his legs, which feel strong and healthy, according to the left fielder.

Instead, Podsednik is bothered by discomfort in his left shoulder, discomfort that Guillen believes came from swinging the bat too much early on in camp. Podsednik couldn't put a date on when he would return to the field, quickly adding that his focus is on April 2, against the Indians, and not the Cactus League contests.

"It's progressively getting better," said Podsednik of the sore shoulder. "Any time you deal with a nagging injury, it's always frustrating. The last thing I want to do is come to the ballfield and not be able to go out and play 100 percent and get together with my teammates.

"But we are taking the right approach for April 2. I want to be clicking on all cylinders Opening Day."

Podsednik characterized himself as a hitter who doesn't need a plethora of spring at-bats to get ready for the season. He would like some time to work with Juan Uribe as the new No. 2 hitter behind him, but his swing feels as good as his legs, with no problems coming from the offseason surgery to repair two hernias.

Hitting coach Greg Walker agrees that Podsednik won't need much time to smooth out any problems with his swing.

"His swing has gotten so simple, and it's not like he's trying to figure something out," said Walker. "His timing will come back. He can bunt, take walks. He can help the team in many ways until he gets it going."

Back to basics: Cliff Politte allowed 20 hits over 12 2/3 innings during Cactus League play in 2005, but followed that poor effort with a 7-1 record and 2.00 ERA during the best regular season of his eight-year career. It's almost a good omen that Politte has started slowly again in Arizona, with a 12.00 ERA in three games.

With some bad mechanical habits forming, though, Politte went through a little refresher course on the backfields at the Kino Sports Complex on Sunday morning. The right-hander threw in a simulated game and felt as though he made a step in the right direction. He also believes that his velocity, currently ranging from 91 to 93 mph, will be between 93 and 95 by the end of spring.

"It's kind of fine-tuning," said Politte, who will throw on the side or in a Minor League game on Wednesday. "You do a thing like we did today, and it's great. I had some good pitches and got back in some good habits again."

Follow the leader: Guillen didn't give any credence to Carl Everett's recent comments about a lack of a vocal clubhouse leader for 2006. These comments played out while Guillen was in Venezuela, moving the White Sox closer to opening a baseball academy in his native country.

The leadership role belongs to Guillen, and he simply wants players to lead by example. He also questioned Everett's definition of past leaders on the White Sox.

"I don't think 'The Truth' was telling the truth, saying we were losing leaders," said Guillen with a smile, referring to Everett's mention of the loss of himself, Frank Thomas and Willie Harris from the clubhouse. "Frank Thomas is not a leader. Willie is not and [Everett] is not.

"We don't need anyone running their mouth. I want players who win games."

Third to first: It was classic Mark Buehrle on display on Sunday, throwing five scoreless innings against the Angels in 57 minutes.

"I think ... it's one of the best outings I've had," said Buehrle, who threw a mere 56 pitches. "I had a lot of movement on my pitches today."

Sox honored: The White Sox will be honored by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano on Monday morning, prior to their afternoon contest with Oakland in Phoenix. Williams, Guillen, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye will be in attendance.

Edited by SSH2005

Why do I keep hearing about Boone Logan?  Dude can finish the spring with a 0.00 era and still have no chance in hell of making the team.

Fluff article filler...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Stat machine: Who is Boone Logan? The 6-foot-5 left-hander, who resides in Helotes, Texas, made an instant name for himself last Sunday, when he struck out both Mackowiak and Jim Thome during 1 1/3 innings of work as part of a 'B' game. Logan also has pitched scoreless baseball during one game at the Major League level, but he probably will start the year at Winston-Salem.

Who do you think we'd get as relief help?

In a trade some-one good? Or out of free agency / minor leagues?

any rumors?

Ozzie and Freddy are heading to Venezuela to break Urbina out of jail.

Edited by SSH2005

No animus against Dustin, but it's time to explore other options. No doubt, he's done what he can and the Sox have done what they can to overcome whatever problems he's encountered, and it is not panning out. This is the time to look at other possibilities.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Who do you think we'd get as relief help?

In a trade some-one good? Or out of free agency / minor leagues?

any rumors?

More than likely a trade. Although I think they're gonna look for in-house replacements for the time being. If Kenny can pull off a trade before the season starts that nets us a solid reliever, I'll officially give him the title of best f***in gm on the planet.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Cotts/Politte/Jenks/McCarthy isn't enough. Certaintly when you add Lopez, Renoso, or whomever else our bullpen doesn't appear much deeper. If I were Williams, I wouldn't assume Hermanson's back regains its strength.

I said earlier in another thread, I'd honestly be open to trading Contreras if what the Sox received in return was no less than a quality reliever AND a decent starting pitching prospect. The reliever doesn't have to be top notch if an acquired starting pitching prospect is highly touted.

Now, we'd essentially be in a similar situation concerning a bullpen void of two arms, but the difference is the acquired bullpen arm will have experience. McCarthy won't be out of his comfort zone. If an injury occurs in the rotation which requires help beyond several starts, the SP prospect obtained could be filled in. Remember, if one of our pitchers goes down and McCarthy is bumped, it's not going to be pretty if he's a valuable component of the bullpen. Now you'd essentially have our regulars (Jenks/Politte/Cotts) and whomever else.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Cotts/Politte/Jenks/McCarthy isn't enough. Certaintly when you add Lopez, Renoso, or whomever else our bullpen doesn't appear much deeper. If I were Williams, I wouldn't assume Hermanson's back regains its strength. 

I said earlier in another thread, I'd honestly be open to trading Contreras if what the Sox received in return was no less than a quality reliever AND a decent starting pitching prospect. The reliever doesn't have to be top notch if an acquired starting pitching prospect is highly touted.

Now, we'd essentially be in a similar situation concerning a bullpen void of two arms, but the difference is the acquired bullpen arm will have experience. McCarthy won't be out of his comfort zone. If an injury occurs in the rotation which requires help beyond several starts, the SP prospect obtained could be filled in. Remember, if one of our pitchers goes down and McCarthy is bumped, it's not going to be pretty if he's a valuable component of the bullpen. Now you'd essentially have our regulars (Jenks/Politte/Cotts) and whomever else.

Good post. I just can't see them trading Jose now. If this were January or even February, I could see it. But dude has looked just so spectacular this spring. He really looks primed to obliterate the AL this year. The Sox would have to be completely overwhelmed to trade him at this point.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
McCarthy

Lopez / Reynoso

Politte

Cotts

Jenks

C'mon Kenny, get us another nice right-handed reliever and I will be happy.

It's a shame Hermanson's injury will put Williams in a situation where he'll probably have to overpay. Overpay with what, I don't know. We're baron in the minors.

Contreras is our true trading chip. Too bad Los Angeles or San Fransico doesn't need a SP. I wouldn't mind some of their talent.

Gene Honda Civic (Cheat) made a great post at his blog:

Bold Prediction...

The Sox will make a trade with Texas before the start of the regular season, sending a low-level minor league pitcher and the unconditional rights to Fabio Castro for one of their bullpen arms.

They've got a deep right-handed pen. Cordero, Francisco (who they got for Everett)& Otsuka make a solid core. Then they've got a bunch of fringe guys behind them. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up one of those fringe guys.

AIM: SouthSideCheat

by The Cheat on Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 08:01:21 PM CST

At this point, the last thing I would do is weaken my starters. If all I need is 6 outs or so a night, this bullpen can survive. If you trade a starter and Bmac goes into the rotation and has a bad night or anyone gets hurt you can burn up a bullpen in a hurry. Ozzie may have to adjust slightly to not doing quite as much L-L, R-R, switching. The easing in of Jenks last year makes me think he has a better idea of his staff than many gave him credit for.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Gene Honda Civic (Cheat) made a great post at his blog:

I read that earlier. I don't really like the idea of trading for pitching, of all things, from Texas. You'd assume if any one of the pitchers behind Otsuka/Cordero/Francisco had talent they wouldn't be available for a low level pitching prospect and rights to Castro.

Similar sentiments I have to the collection of lefties entering camp from other organizations. There's a reason they're available....

Texas usually scrounges through our trash heap. We shouldn't resort ourselves to looking through theirs.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I read that earlier. I don't really like the idea of trading for pitching, of all things, from Texas. You'd assume if any one of the pitchers behind Otsuka/Cordero/Francisco had talent they wouldn't be available for a low level pitching prospect and rights to Castro.

Similar sentiments I have to the collection of lefties entering camp from other organizations. There's a reason they're available....

Texas usually scrounges through our trash heap. We shouldn't resort ourselves to looking through theirs.

You can't just say that all Texas relievers suck. Many of them suck every year due to park factors. We're not going to get a stud here. We just need a decent guy who can pitch some innings to give rest to our better relievers.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
At this point, the last thing I would do is weaken my starters.  If all I need is 6 outs or so a night, this bullpen can survive.  If you trade a starter and Bmac goes into the rotation and has a bad night or anyone gets hurt you can burn up a bullpen in a hurry.  Ozzie may have to adjust slightly to not doing quite as much L-L, R-R, switching.  The easing in of Jenks last year makes me think he has a better idea of his staff than many gave him credit for.

Those 6 outs are considered difficult for a reason. With all the one run games we've played last year, a weakened bullpen shifting roles one inning sooner may leave your Pedro Lopez' of the world out for one batter too long.

If Cotts and Politte had more than one consecutive year of superb numbers and Jenks had more than one year under his belt I'd feel more confident about our bullpen. No one knows what to expect from McCarthy. Hermanson's back is falling off. There's not really one pitcher you could say, for sure, "he's a lock for a sub 2 ERA."

If you trade a starter (Contreras) we'll hopefully receive a bullpen addition and a pitcher capable of filling in for any injured pitcher.

Those 6 outs are considered difficult for a reason. With all the one run games we've played last year, a weakened bullpen shifting roles one inning sooner may leave your Pedro Lopez' of the world out for one batter too long.

If Cotts and Politte had more than one consecutive year of superb numbers and Jenks had more than one year under his belt I'd feel more confident about our bullpen. No one knows what to expect from McCarthy. Hermanson's back is falling off. There's not really one pitcher you could say, for sure, "he's a lock for a sub 2 ERA."

If you trade a starter (Contreras) we'll hopefully receive a bullpen addition and a pitcher capable of filling in for any injured pitcher.

We don't have a ton of talent in the farm system but we have enough to net a decent reliever without having to trade Contreras.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
You can't just say that all Texas relievers suck.  Many of them suck every year due to park factors.  We're not going to get a stud here.  We just need a decent guy who can pitch some innings to give rest to our better relievers.

No, I never intended to suggest all Texas relievers suck. I simply believe a team where pitching talent of even a limited quality is sought, if any one pitcher shows atleast some potential, they'd hold onto them.

We're sure as hell not going to get a stud here from Texas. Never expected that. I wouldn't even expect a decent guy to eat innings. Although that depends on what you define as 'decent'. I don't want a Felix...6+ERA..1.75WHIP....HR surrendered every two fricken innings...Diaz because he pitches innings and is a bridge to better relievers. I want someone obtained who can reasonably be expected to mirror Hermanson's expected 4.00-4.50 numbers. If he were healthy, that is.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
We don't have a ton of talent in the farm system but we have enough to net a decent reliever without having to trade Contreras.

Would that mean goodbye Sweeney, Owens, or Fields? Sort of f***s up Williams 4 year board.