A real nice story on A.J.

SoxPhan7

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2366973

A nice story about AJ. It gives AJ an opportunity to tell his side of the story on a lot of the controversy and has some good and funny quotes. Here is mine by Jon, it is so true and it really shows why he is such a leader on the team.

"He's one of those guys who when you play against him, you absolutely can't stand the guy," Garland said. "He drives you nuts. But on your team, you love it. He fits in here."

Regarding Garland's quote, I had that perception of AJ when he was with Minnesota. In fact, I compared him to another Minnesota athlete ... Dino Cicarelli. I hated the guy, but I knew I'd love him if he played for the Hawks. That's exactly the I felt about AJ. I was thrilled when we signed him.

I love this quote about Tomko.

"I mean, it's not my fault you got off to a bad start. You suck -- it's not my fault. I wasn't off to a great start, either, but I wasn't blaming him for me not getting any hits. I don't believe you blame other people."

Regarding the "punching the trainer in the nuts" thing. That's the first time I've heard anything from AJ regarding that incident. What he says makes sense. If he actually did that, he would have been fined or suspended or both.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Regarding Garland's quote, I had that perception of AJ when he was with Minnesota.  In fact, I compared him to another Minnesota athlete ... Dino Cicarelli. I hated the guy, but I knew I'd love him if he played for the Hawks.  That's exactly the I felt about AJ.  I was thrilled when we signed him.

I love this quote about Tomko.

Regarding the "punching the trainer in the nuts" thing.  That's the first time I've heard anything from AJ regarding that incident.  What he says makes sense.  If he actually did that, he would have been fined or suspended or both.

something came out about it right aronud the time he signed with teh sox. i guess in ST with teh giants he got hit in the groin with a pitch and i dunno if he wasnt wearing his cup or what, but the trainer came over and asked him if he was ok, and asked how it felt. story went that AJ kneed the trainer back in the nuts and asked how do you think it feels

I think Chicago teams have cornered the market on players like AJ. Players you hate on one team but love on yours, in no particular order:

AJ

Dennis Rodman

Albert Belle

Bob Probert

Bryan Cox

John Starks (briefly)

John Salley

etc.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I think Chicago teams have cornered the market on players like AJ.  Players you hate on one team but love on yours, in no particular order:

AJ

Dennis Rodman

Albert Belle

Bob Probert

Bryan Cox

John Starks (briefly)

John Salley

etc.

There is no way AJ deserves to show up on any list anywhere with a cheating jackass like Albert Belle. I certainly didn't "Love" him when he pulled out of his contract after 2 years, or when this stuff happened:

Belle's two years in Chicago were no less turbulent. In 1997, he smashed the thermostat in the White Sox locker room when his teammates tried to turn up the temperature. He spent his first Kids' Day autograph session in Chicago reading the Chicago Sun-Times in the clubhouse. ("At least it was the right paper," the Sun-Times reported the following day.) Earlier in the season, he had admitted losing $40,000 by gambling on sports. In June, he cursed out a reporter who was simply standing behind the cage during batting practice. In 1998, he was accused of domestic battery on the same day he was named AL Player of the Week for the second week in a row.

Fantastic read. I too hated him on Minnesota, but he could not be any better of a fit with this team. Between his handling of this pitching staff, how much he grates on the opposition, and how he has taken to the fans and the fans have taken to him, I also think this move was one of KW's best. I can't wait to be in Tucson in 2 days and bust out the new AJP jersey my wife got me with the WS patch!

:cheers :gosox3:

I love this:

Two hours later, the Sox are taking on the Rockies in Tucson. Pierzynski is behind the plate when Colorado first baseman and former Florida Gator Ryan Shealy steps into the box. Pierzynski, a huge Gator fan, stands up with all of his gear on, sticks his arms out and does the Gator chomp. In the middle of the game. After the inning, Guillen asks what the hell that was. "The Gator chomp," Pierzynski says.

The White Sox manager turns around, looks over the dugout, spots Lisa in the front row and shakes his head. She shakes her head, too, and looks into her daughter's stroller and smiles.

"Babycakes," she says, "your daddy is a nut case."

You know how adorable that is?

Good article. There's one sentence in the beginning which I can forsee trouble:

Dye mumbles his rebuttal, but the catcher has one of his own. "What's that Jermaine? I'm sorry -- we don't speak Ebonics," he says jokingly. "I can't understand you."

If I watch PTI or ATH and see "EBONICS," "PIERZ," or "AJ" as an upcoming category, I'm going to vomit with rage. In our sensitive times, all it takes is one person to misinterpret what he said as blatant stereotyping.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)

If I watch PTI or ATH and see "EBONICS," "PIERZ," or "AJ" as an upcoming category, I'm going to vomit with rage. In our sensitive times, all it takes is one person to misinterpret what he said as blatant stereotyping.

Does he often makes those jokes? How did Jermaine take them? Is he the type to, you know, take jokes about race friend-lily? :canada

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
Does he often makes those jokes? How did Jermaine take them? Is he the type to, you know, take jokes about race friend-lily? :canada

I can't really answer those questions. I assume since AJ isn't recovering from injuries in a hospital Dye takes it lightly.

Remember when Guillen, off the record--but with reporters around--called a friend a homosexual, among other insults. I remember reading an article the following day by Rick Morrisey where he insisted respect of certain issues in baseball, etc. etc. Basically acting like a whiney little b****. I'm thinking to myself after reading the article, "This is going to be discussed on ESPN. I just know it. We're doing so well as a team this will be only be appropriate" Sure enough, next day on PTI (missed ATH) the topic is discussed.

All you need is for one person to be offended. White guy asking a black guy about Ebonics will probably fulfill that requirement.

Regarding Garland's quote, I had that perception of AJ when he was with Minnesota. In fact, I compared him to another Minnesota athlete ... Dino Cicarelli. I hated the guy, but I knew I'd love him if he played for the Hawks. That's exactly the I felt about AJ. I was thrilled when we signed him.

DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!! DINO SUCKS!!

God I hated that guy, but I would have loved to have him on our team.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)

Wait for Scoop Jackson to pick this one up. Good Point.