Sox option Owens and Reynoso to Charlotte

SSH2005

JimH mentioned this in another thread...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox make two roster moves

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Following Friday's spring training game vs. Texas, the Chicago White Sox optioned outfielder Jerry Owens and left-handed pitcher Paulino Reynoso to Class AAA Charlotte.

With the moves, the White Sox have 37 players remaining in camp: 16 pitchers, three catchers, 12 infielders and six outfielders.

Edited by SSH2005

it seems neither reynoso or munoz really got a fair shot and those were prob the 2 favorite candidates going into the whole thing.  Well maybe outside of Lopez.

I thought that Ozzie said that stuff about Munoz to help motivate him. Guess not. :P

I think that Reynoso got a fair shot. He just isn't ready yet. His control isn't there yet (6 walks in 6.1 IP). Ozzie really wants a guy who throws strikes.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
it seems neither reynoso or munoz really got a fair shot and those were prob the 2 favorite candidates going into the whole thing.  Well maybe outside of Lopez.

Each of those 2 clearly have room for improvement, and some additional time at AAA will help.

Hopefully Owens can do at AAA what he did in winter ball and in AA, and maybe be considered for a callup in July/August...thus slowing down his arbitration clock by another year.

Anywho...I didn't want to see him in the big leagues based on 1 good season at AA. Give me a good season at AAA too, then we'll talk about that left field spot.

The most interesting thing to me is Ozzie is seriously considering keeping Sweeney with the team. You would think they would want him to be playing everyday instead of getting at bats every now and then on the big league level.

I think it's all talk. Sweeney will be playing in the minors. We have two guys who are out of options so it makes no sense. I think Ozzie just wants to motivate Borchard and Gload.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
I think it's all talk.  Sweeney will be playing in the minors.  We have two guys who are out of options so it makes no sense.  I think Ozzie just wants to motivate Borchard and Gload.

I really don't think those two need any more motivation. I do agree that its most likely just talk. Besides, Borchard and Gload have both played pretty well this spring.

I really don't think those two need any more motivation. I do agree that its most likely just talk. Besides, Borchard and Gload have both played pretty well this spring.

But there is a good reason to push them to play even better -- trade value. If I'm Ozzie and I see what Hermanson is going through, I want both of these guys to hit .500 so Kenny can trade one of them for a reliever. ;)

But I read that article and it seems like Ozzie is doing the same thing with Boone Logan. He is hyping the kid up so the other pitchers start performing.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 07:50 AM)
But there is a good reason to push them to play even better -- trade value.  If I'm Ozzie and I see what Hermanson is going through, I want both of these guys to hit .500 so Kenny can trade one of them for a reliever.   ;)

But I read that article and it seems like Ozzie is doing the same thing with Boone Logan.  He is hyping the kid up so the other pitchers start performing.

Borchard and Gload hitting .500 the last 2 weeks of spring training isn't going to raise their trade value.They have too much of a track record to base projections on 2 weeks worth of hitting in meaningless games. I don't think its Ozzie's style to try and indirectly motivate like that. If he thinks Borchard or Gload need to kick it up a gear or 2, I think he would just come out and say it. As to his comments about Boone Logan, he did refer to the other guys vying for the job as horses***.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Borchard and Gload hitting .500 the last 2 weeks of spring training isn't going to raise their trade value.They have too much of a track record to base projections on 2 weeks worth of hitting in meaningless games. I don't think its Ozzie's style to try and indirectly motivate like that. If he thinks Borchard or Gload need to kick it up a gear or 2, I think he would just come out and say it. As to his comments about Boone Logan, he did refer to the other guys vying for the job as horses***.

Ozzie has said it about both of them, more than once, in the media. And while no team is dumb enough to look only at ST numbers, they would certainly be a factor in the process.