Scared? or no worries?

SoxRock05

Hello fellow Sox fans, I havn't posted in a while (been in Vegas for the last week). I just got back and the first thing I do is check on how my beloved White Sox have been doing (well, second thing. I had to figure out how much money I had lost). I didn't have much time to follow baseball, except the WBC (for it was all that was on TV), so I was pretty excited to get back into the real world (for the most part, it has to happen some time), all WHITESOX all the time. But as I progressed to ESPN.com and clicked on standings, I scrolled down and was not too happy when I saw where the Sox appeared. With opening day only 11 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes away, we have the worst record along with the

all-mighty Nationals. Should I be worrying around this time or are we looking alright? How does everone else feel? Have we been playing bad, or just late leads given up by minors? When I saw that record and looked at some of the scores, a feeling came across me that it may be a bit tougher to repeat than many people may think.

From a lost Sox Fan thats been lost in Sin City, what are your thoughts?

:cheers

This is Spring Training. The losses mean absolutely nothing, mainly because most of them were caused by scrub relievers trying to prove their worth, but instead sucking. The offense is starting to pick it up, and players like Konerko and Anderson have really found their stroke as of late.

You shouldn't be worried at all.

You should be worried about our bullpen for the regular season, but thats a whole other topic.

Edited by Felix

Scared? Pardon my language, but I'm not f***ing scared of anything. Who cares about our ST record. Ozzie's been playing a ton of young guys, and I'm not sure some of the pitchers we've had go in the 9th inning would be able to pitch a 1-2-3 inning in Little League.

We won the World Series last season. Who knows how many times in our lives we'll be able to go into a season saying that. It would be great to repeat this season. If we don't, then life will go on. The positive ramifications of winning last season (mainly, more people in the stands = higher payroll) will be felt for the next few years at least.

I know I'm one of the more negative posters on this board, but this season is going to be a lot less tense for me this season. Go Sox....and I hope the Cubs go 0-162.

Edited by fathom

first off, record means nothing in ST, you should not be judging anything on that.

The biggest worry on everyone's mind is the bullpen. Jenks and hermanson could have injury problems, bmac is struggling a bit, and we have 2 new guys coming in to fill out the back end. So lots of question marks surrounding the bullpen.

Besides that, the only thing that can stop us is injuries.

The ONLY worry I have with this team as of right now is middle relief. Other then that, this team is AWESOME. Offense? Check. Defense? Check. Rotation? Super check. Bench? Check.

that sums it up.

Tho i think our bench should also have a super check

I believe we have the best bench in the league. Am i right?

I'm not basing anything on anything, I just saw the record and had some questions...I have not been able to see many games this spring training so I have no clue what the team is doing on the field. I was here for the first week but that means nothing seeing that most of those boys have been moved down to the minors. I am guessing that most of the regulars are playing a lot of ball now, again I am just trying to catch up on what has been going down in ST. There was not a lot of spring training baseball shown on Las Vegas cable (especially Chicago baseball).

Drink to the Sox...

Opening Day: 11D 19H 48M

You say you scrolled to the bottom to see the Sox. Did you happen to see:

Arizona - 13-7

Kansas City - 10-7

Cubs - 9-9

Colorado - 10-10

Florida - 12-6

Pittsburgh - 13-8

?????????

No, I'm not worried. Spring means nothing except warm weather, flowers blooming, Prior and Wood injured, birds chirping.

I was worried until the Thornton trade. I know he's no great shakes... yet... but it sort of placated my bullpen worries for a bit.

Just curious but why? Right now, Thornton is probably no better than Tim Redding. Cooper has less than two weeks to help this guy throw strikes. Would you be happy with Tim Redding in the bullpen come opening day?

Worries:

-Middle relief

-Potential for injuries

That's pretty much it. If we stay healthy, we will be very good again. If we stay healthy AND the bullpen fares relatively well, then we have a good shot at repeating.

Our offense looks to be significantly better than last year, our starting staff looks better than last year (amazingly), and our defense should be just about as strong. And we have a solid bench.

:gosox1:

I agree with Jordan. THe only thing the concerns me is that 2nd lefty opening in the pen. I like everything else. Loses mean nothing. Ozzie is just trying to see what young guys he has the option of bringing up during the regular season, if nessessary. He is also trying to determing who will win those final roster spots:

With Borchard dealt, look for Gload to make the team.

Also, since there are no lefties out there impressing Ozzie of KW look for Boone Logan to take that finaly pitching spot in the pen.

The most likely 25 man roster come opening day:

STARTING PITCHERS:

Buerhle SP

Garcia SP

Contreras SP

Garland SP

Vazquez SP

BULLPEN:

McCarthy MR/SP

B. Logan MR

Cotts SU

Pollite SU

Hermanson SU

Jenks CL

STARTING LINEUP:

Podsednick LF

Uribe SS

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Crede 3B

BENCH:

Mackowiack INF/OF

Ozuna INF/OF

Gload 1B/DH/OF

Widger C

Cintron INF

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
Just curious but why?  Right now, Thornton is probably no better than Tim Redding.  Cooper has less than two weeks to help this guy throw strikes.  Would you be happy with Tim Redding in the bullpen come opening day?

He also thinks that Thornton will be as good as Vizcaino... at worst.

Edited by Felix

just my opinion, but i am worried about the bullpen, scared? no. worried? yes. Here are my reasons why: ill start at the back.

CP: Bobby Jenks: Biggest concern is his injury past. he missed all of 04, but as we saw last year it certainly didnt affect his stuff. Still hes a "rookie" closer and has the potential to be great. At the same time he also has the potential to lose the strike zone. Even if he does slip some he should have the stuff to be an above average closer. Either way, there are still reasons to be worried.

RH Set up: Cliff Politte: Career ERA of 4.06, as opposed to 2.01 last year. Theres no doubt that politte was one of many unsung heroes of last year, but his K rate was actually worse last year than in 04 when he posted a 4.38 ERA. His walk rate was significantly down, as was his hit rate, but if you believe stat heads, his .94 WHIP in 05 seems likely to regress near his career 1.32 and 2004 1.44 WHIPs. My guess is certainly due in for a regression, but will nontheless be effective.

LH set up: Neal Cotts: Cotts posted ridiculous K rates in the minor leagues: 11.6K/9IP in 2002, and 11.0 K/ 9Ip in 2003. He has yet to find quite the same major league success, but nontheless a very respectable 8.5 K per 9. Cotts never ever gave up the long ball in the minors, with his highest being 5, in 138 IP at single A, which means his 2004 stint with the sox where he gave up 13 in 65 certainly seems like an outlier. He still walks alot, 1 every 2 innings, but certainly last year was probably no fluke. Of all the relievers he seems to be the most certain to repeat to have a great year, with his breakout coming at the age of 25, as opposed to teh older Politte. Still last year he was so spectacular, that i expect a mild regression to perhaps a 2.5 ERA as opposed to 1.94.

This is where it gets juicy:

Dustin Hermanson: ??????? will he be healthy? Who knows. He certainly slipped last year when he wasn't. Whats even more of a concern is the fact that Hermanson was never really a great pitcher in his career before last year. His ridiculous start to last season allowed him to finish with a 2.04 ERA, while his ERAs as a reliever in 2004 and 2003 in the spacious SF and StL ballparks were more in the order of 4.5. If you ask me this dude, even if healthy is due for a serious regression, as last year he had a poor 33 K in 57 Ip.

Brandon McCarthy: The guy is prone to huge hot streaks and slumps, but thats also due to the fact that he really was rushed. His K and BB rates suggest that he has loads of potential, but he has never pitched in relief. How will he handle that role? We dont know.

Matt Thornton: Hes been discussed a ton recently so all I'll say is that we all know he cant be counted on, and should and will pitch in only mop up innings.

Boone Logan?: People, be reasonable here. Yes, he has the potential to be a great story, but he was average at best in rookie ball and A ball. Hes still pitched in just 7 innings in ST against mainly reserve players, and still has just 2 strikeouts. Certainly if we are only worrying about a potential 12th pitcher tahts fine, but really, he cant be counted on by any stretch of the imagination.

Summary: Cotts is closest to a sure thing. Jenks follows, but has the propensity to slip some. That means our best two (or at least two of three) have a combined 2.5 years experience int he bigs. Politte is due for some regression, but nontheless is a solid option. Beyond that how will mccarthy do? Will hermie even be able to pitch? What happens if one of Jenks Politte or Cotts gets injured? WHat if a starter gets injured and Brandon moves out of the pen? There are plenty of reasons in the pen to be worried. This is a somewhat pessimistic outlook, but the chance of one of the "big three" relievers getting injured is certainly enough to say that I'm worried. Thankfully the starting staff looks strong enough that the pen wont be overused. Reasons to worry: for me, Check.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm worried that I'm going to be missed in the opening night game thread because I'll be at WrestleMania that night.

Going to miss opening nite for Wrestlemania??!? Normally I would say its understandable since Wrestlemania is here once every 10 years. However the Sox haven't won a title in 88 years, your going to miss the banner being raised?? Wow!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
I am probably more concerned than I need to be, but I just dont have a good feeling going into the year.

I really think we caught alot of luck last year with the injury bug, and I dont know if the luck can last. If it can, I think we should be alright. If everyone is healthy, are starters cam go 1200 innings, and middle relief wont be a problem like it very well could.

I also assume a move will be made at the deadline, getting whatever it is we need at the time....

No big blows to our staff=Good season.

we caught alot of luck with the injury bug and the 'career year bug'. Seriously, how many of our guys had career years?

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
Yep, I agree with that thought.

But you could argue that Dye had a great year compared to what he's done in the past, Pods had a pretty good year (except for the 2nd half) etc.

So I mean our offense will definitely improve no doubt, but it won't be those guys who'll be the main cause of that.

Of course I think everyone is probably expecting our pitching to be a little worse and our offense to be better, so hopefully that will help this team in 2006, although we still desperately need the pitching to hold up.