Frank Thomas Thread

Reddy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
still looks strange.  I still hope he hits 500

capt.azrd10603262300.rockies_athletics_s

You can tell by that picture that if he was healthy he wouldn't be worth it. Hands are off the bat earlier than ever, his body has went completely open, throw it slow and away and he'll never touch it.

QUOTE(Jake @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
You can tell by that picture that if he was healthy he wouldn't be worth it. Hands are off the bat earlier than ever, his body has went completely open, throw it slow and away and he'll never touch it.

How's that batting coach career doing, Jake? Nice grammar too.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
How's that batting coach career doing, Jake?  Nice grammar too.

:lolhitting

Jake is still playing in pee wee league or whatever. He wasn't even alive when Frank made his debut in a White Sox uniform. His baseball knowledge is absolutely outstanding! Now, if only he could lose that virgin tongue... :D

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Personally I hope you never achieve any of your goals in life.

Well, thank you.

Actually, I was pondering this earlier this week while going through old Sports Illustrateds, and I retract. I do hope he gets to Five Hundred.

I thought what I'd said was dumb and reactionary. ::shrug::

Call me John Kerry.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
:lolhitting

Jake is still playing in pee wee league or whatever.  He wasn't even alive when Frank made his debut in a White Sox uniform.  His baseball knowledge is absolutely outstanding!  Now, if only he could lose that virgin tongue...   :D

Barely alive if I'm not mistaken. But even since I've watched him, he's progressively gotten this longer swing. I've heard all about how great he once was, how you could barely throw the guy a strike without him beating the hell out of it. The swing he has right now is great for the home run derby, but not so great when trying to maintain any numbers besides home runs. It might not matter to him, that could be the only number that matters.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 07:24 AM)
Well, Frank is 1 for 7 with a homer and 4 k's on the spring. So much for him being in mid-season form. Besides, for Frank to be in mid-season form, he would need a boot on his left foot.

Wasn't he supposed to be an Offensive Nirvana for the A's?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
You're entitled to disagree. I just happen to dislike Frank and think he's whiny. You like him and think he's not.

I like Frank and agree that he's a whiny prima donna who can be a poor clubhouse guy at times. That's offset by the fact that he's the greatest hitter in franchise history and that was extremely gracious to the fans.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
I'd take a healthy Thome over a healthy Thomas.

I'd also take PK and Thome over Thomas and Delgado.

Why?  Attitude.

Delgado is a massive weenie. He goes out of his way to disrespect America at work every day, but is more than happy to put American dollars in his bank account. I'd rather watch Thome sit on the DL all year than root for a jackass like Delgado.

I also like Thome over Frank for another reason: Thome was a legitimate MVP candidate as recently as two years ago. Frank hasn't had an MVP-worthy season since 2000. Even disounting the endless injuries, Frank's ultra-productive days are far behind him.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
I like Frank and agree that he's a whiny prima donna who can be a poor clubhouse guy at times.  That's offset by the fact that he's the greatest hitter in franchise history and that was extremely gracious to the fans.

Delgado is a massive weenie.  He goes out of his way to disrespect America at work every day, but is more than happy to put American dollars in his bank account.  I'd rather watch Thome sit on the DL all year than root for a jackass like Delgado.

I also like Thome over Frank for another reason: Thome was a legitimate MVP candidate as recently as two years ago.  Frank hasn't had an MVP-worthy season since 2000.  Even disounting the endless injuries, Frank's ultra-productive days are far behind him.

Frank was a legitimate MVP canidate as recently as 2003 -- his last healthy season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Frank was a legitimate MVP canidate as recently as 2003 -- his last healthy season.

He finished 15th that year. Not exactly a front-runner. On the other hand, Thome finished 4th in the NL in '03.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
He finished 15th that year.  Not exactly a front-runner.  On the other hand, Thome finished 4th in the NL in '03.

I don't care where he finished. MVP voting can be bulls*** at times. Frank was by far our best clutch hitter and overall offensive player that year. The main reason (along with Loaiza) that we were in the race until the final week or so.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
I don't care where he finished.  MVP voting can be bulls*** at times.  Frank was by far our best clutch hitter and overall offensive player that year.  The main reason (along with Loaiza) that we were in the race until the final week or so.

His BA and OBP were also far below his career average. Loaiza deserved it more than Frank, IMO.

Given that Frank's had a whole two healthy and productive seasons over the past five years, it's a moot point anyway. He hasn't been the same since '97. With the exception of 2000, he hasn't been able to reproduce what he did in the '90s even when he's been healthy enough to play.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
His BA and OBP were also far below his career average.  Loaiza deserved it more than Frank, IMO.

That wasn't the point. He had an MVP caliber season in '03. Sure, if you try to match that year with some of his absolute best seasons, it's not really close. But his '03 season was every bit as good as Thome's '04. And the Phillies didn't even make the playoffs that year. So that just proves how fake MVP voting can be.

Given that Frank's had a whole two healthy and productive seasons over the past five years, it's a moot point anyway.  He hasn't been the same since '97.  With the exception of 2000, he hasn't been able to reproduce what he did in the '90s even when he's been healthy enough to play.

That's called age and injuries.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Yeah,  everybody knows 7 at-bats makes a season.

Never said it did. I'm referring to the fact that Frank himself said he was in mid-season form a few weeks ago. Just more delusion from someone who thinks they are in their prime. With his foot problem, 7 at bats may not make a season, but it may be close.