Rosenthal Notes

DBAHO

Interesting thoughts here;

The White Sox's signing of right-hander Jose Contreras to a three-year, $29 million extension serves a dual purpose, giving the Sox control of all five of their starting pitchers through 2007 and increasing their options in future trade discussions.

Contreras and right-hander Jon Garland are the only Sox starters with veto power over trades, and their respective no-trade clauses cover only '06. Their contracts — along with those of left-hander Mark Buehrle and right-handers Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez — are reasonable by today's standards.

Right-hander Brandon McCarthy, the team's No. 6 starter, likely would be the Sox pitcher most coveted in trades, given that he has less than a year of service time. But if the Sox needed bullpen help or a position upgrade at the July 31 non-waiver deadline, they could entertain offers for Garcia or, more likely, Vazquez. Both of their contracts expire in '07.

Right now, if Vazquez improves as most people expect, Garcia looks the odd man out, if we're going to trade a SP. But I still have reservations on whether Jon Garland can keep improving on his 2005 year, which could gives us an option after this off-season.

A scout says of White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson, "I'm a little more worried about him than I was at the start of spring training. He has holes at the plate that (opponents) will get on early and quick. He may scuffle out of the gate a little bit. But he'll make adjustments. I think he'll be fine."

And yet this is what most people thought of him BEFORE Spring Training. If he keeps doing what he did tonight, we'll be rapt with him. But I think we should expect a high number of K's like Aaron Rowand had last season with him.

A scout says of White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson, "I'm a little more worried about him than I was at the start of spring training. He has holes at the plate that (opponents) will get on early and quick. He may scuffle out of the gate a little bit. But he'll make adjustments. I think he'll be fine."

This scout obviously paid no attention to Brian the last 2-3 weeks of spring training.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)
This scout obviously paid no attention to Brian the last 2-3 weeks of spring training.

Yeah how bout it. He started out slow, but he came on really strong, similar to Thome, and both of them have carried it into the regular season.

In regards to trading starting pitchers, I figure the worst starter is going to be on the block, but there will be no rush to move them at the deadline. It will more than likely happen after the season - depending on the outcome of 2006. You don't want to have trade rumors mess with the chemistry of the team before the deadline. Just like last year, sometimes the best move is no move at all.

But I think we should expect a high number of K's like Aaron Rowand had last season with him.

Ah yes, the anonymous "out of town" scout sees BA one game and makes a proclamation.

I agree with you though that BA is a good bet for alot of strikeouts, however, he's also a good bad to improve on Arow's terrible OPS. A 250/310/440 season is what I'm thinking for BA--and that will be a good upgrade from Arow of 2005 at the plate.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:20 AM)

Seriously...I was worried about him early on and since than I've felt a lot more comfortable about him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Seriously...I was worried about him early on and since than I've felt a lot more comfortable about him.

I agree and BA is in the perfect situation to break into the majors. Essentially he needs to play great defense, but he has the limited pressure of hitting 9th in what looks to be a pretty good lineup. He's going to have the games where he looks lost at the plate, but that's alright as long as there are enough games like last night where he looks very comfortable at the plate.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 07:02 AM)
B.A. is going to have alot of bumps during the season, but he is going to fine. I was VERY happy for him to have a good night.

I agree. Brian is going to go through some growing pains but he's going to be just fine.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
Ah yes, the anonymous "out of town" scout sees BA one game and makes a proclamation.

I agree with you though that BA is a good bet for alot of strikeouts, however, he's also a good bad to improve on Arow's terrible OPS.  A 250/310/440 season is what I'm thinking for BA--and that will be a good upgrade from Arow of 2005 at the plate.

.250/310/440 wouldn't be an upgrade.