why are people so upset

GoRowand33

I am not really concerned, just a bit apprehensive. I doubt that the team has a horrible season, but so far, it almost seems like the players expect to be great and that the trophy will just be handed to them. Maybe it was just all the World Series ceremonies getting to them but they didn't play up to their abilities in the last 2 games. They'll turn it around, although there is really nothing to turn around lol.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
give the season some time

sure we missed some opportunities, but three games into the season who is to judge?

if I remember correctly the yankees team(forget the year) that won around 110 games started 0-3

I for one am not the least bit concerned yet

You were here last season, you should have come to expect this by now.

Not upset, just concerned (mainly about the offense). Thome is a huge upgrade at DH and Anderson will probably be around status quo with 2005 Rowand but the rest of our lineup is the same. Our hitters still give up far too many easy outs. I think we will struggle again this season with team OBP, and that is the single most important offensive team stat. I don't see the bottom of our order (Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe, and Anderson) being much better than last season. They just don't hit for average or draw enough walks. But I guess we won with great pitching and the longball last season so it's possible to do the same again this season.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
give the season some time

sure we missed some opportunities, but three games into the season who is to judge?

if I remember correctly the yankees team(forget the year) that won around 110 games started 0-3

I for one am not the least bit concerned yet

you mistake concern, and cautious optomism for being upset. just cause i don't blindly say everything is gonna be ok doesn't mean i think the season is over. it doesn't mean i'm jumping ship and calling for ozzie's head or kw's job. there are just some things that make me nervous that i'd like to see resolved.

I will add this comment; I am a bit surprised at two things in the last three games. The first is the lack of execution with runners in scoring position. Last year we would have brought home a runner from third with less than two outs even if it meant a fly ball. The second is our pitching nit picking their way. They are nippling and not bearing down especially with men on base. They are not attacking the hitters.

We had a lot of games like today last year where we blew chances to win and lost. Not a big deal, we will make up for it. We sucked hitting in late game spots last year too, until October that is. But the 1 run/close games we won last year were despite our s***ty late game hitting, and were in fact due to jumping out early (hi there healthy Pods) and then letting the pitching and bullpen hold on.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I will add this comment; I am a bit surprised at two things in the last three games. The first is the lack of execution with runners in scoring position. Last year we would have brought home a runner from third with less than two outs even if it meant a fly ball. The second is our pitching nit picking their way. They are nippling and not bearing down especially with men on base. They are not attacking the hitters.

We didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball in the first series against the Indians last year either.

I love our team but am not a big believer in our bullpen.

My guess is we'll know by the end of April if our pen is going to be a disaster or good

enough.

I still like our lineup, especially if Thome stays healthy.

Even with all the missed opportunities today we win the game if Cleve's second baseman

doesn't make a good play on Anderson's slow roller.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Not upset, just concerned (mainly about the offense).  Thome is a huge upgrade at DH and Anderson will probably be around status quo with 2005 Rowand but the rest of our lineup is the same.  Our hitters still give up far too many easy outs.  I think we will struggle again this season with team OBP, and that is the single most important offensive team stat.  I don't see the bottom of our order (Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe, and Anderson) being much better than last season.  They just don't hit for average or draw enough walks.  But I guess we won with great pitching and the longball last season so it's possible to do the same again this season.

I'd like to make a few points here;

1) I do think our bottom of our order will be better than last season. I think we'll see more of the late 2005 Joe Crede and Juan Uribe, than what we saw from them for the 1st 4 months of 2005. Crede hit .267 post ASB and Uribe .257 post ASB (.304 in September). If they can both hit around .270 which I think is definitely possible, that's an upgrade on 2005. And then you've got Pierzynski who hit for his lowest BA in his major league career in 2005. If he can get back to the hitter he was in Minnesota, that's an upgrade. Those 3 guys, don't strike out a ton either, so they won't hurt you too much in that regard.

2) Is team OBP really the most important offensive stat? The Florida Marlins had the 4th highest team OBP in 2005 with .339. They only scored 717 runs. We had a team OBP of .322 and we scored 741 runs. It's important no doubt, but if you have a balanced lineup that can still hit for power (like we do), you'll still score runs.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
I'd like to make a few points here;

1) I do think our bottom of our order will be better than last season. I think we'll see more of the late 2005 Joe Crede and Juan Uribe, than what we saw from them for the 1st 4 months of 2005. Crede hit .267 post ASB and Uribe .257 post ASB (.304 in September). If they can both hit around .270 which I think is definitely possible, that's an upgrade on 2005. And then you've got Pierzynski who hit for his lowest BA in his major league career in 2005. If he can get back to the hitter he was in Minnesota, that's an upgrade. Those 3 guys, don't strike out a ton either, so they won't hurt you too much in that regard.

2) Is team OBP really the most important offensive stat? The Florida Marlins had the 4th highest team OBP in 2005 with .339. They only scored 717 runs. We had a team OBP of .322 and we scored 741 runs. It's important no doubt, but if you have a balanced lineup that can still hit for power (like we do), you'll still score runs.

Obp is not even as big of concern as strike zone judgement is. We have some guys that take hacks at pitches a foot out of the zone. Mackowiak and cintron both should have walked easily today. Basically anyone on this team has a full count or are ahead in the count they are looking to put the ball in play without even acknowledging there is another way to get on base.. I wish they would take a more laid back approach (like the red sox and yankees) and wait for the right pitch... and hit it to the field it is intended for. Konerko fouled off a ball four today... was very outside... then follows it up with a swinging strike out at the ankles.

This team has a randall simon approach up there.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Obp is not even as big of concern as strike zone judgement is. We have some guys that take hacks at pitches a foot out of the zone. Mackowiak and cintron both should have walked easily today. Basically anyone on this team has a full count or are ahead in the count they are looking to put the ball in play without even acknowledging there is another way to get on base.. I wish they would take a more laid back approach (like the red sox and yankees) and wait for the right pitch... and hit it to the field it is intended for. Konerko fouled off a ball four today... was very outside... then follows it up with a swinging strike out at the ankles.

This team has a randall simon approach up there.

Excellent point there. And it's probably the #1 issue Greg Walker needs to work on with his hitters right now.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
They are nippling and not bearing down especially with men on base. They are not attacking the hitters.

What the hell is nippling?!?

male-nipples-can-keep-babies-calm-newspa

Hey...it's three games into the season...and against a very good Cleveland team. Granted today was a pisser and a blown opportunity...but GEEZ...Broad Stokes guys or you're gonna have a stroke by June. What I saw today was complete over-anxiousness with our 3 and 4 hitters in key situations. Also remember...no Dye and Crede. As Kevin Bacon said, "Remain calm...all is well..."

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:16 AM)
What the hell is nippling?!?

male-nipples-can-keep-babies-calm-newspa

Hey...it's three games into the season...and against a very good Cleveland team.  Granted today was a pisser and a blown opportunity...but GEEZ...Broad Stokes guys or you're gonna have a stroke by June.  What I saw today was complete over-anxiousness with our 3 and 4 hitters in key situations.  Also remember...no Dye and Crede.  As Kevin Bacon said, "Remain calm...all is well..."

That happens in April, early May, and October, when the weather is a little cold...

:D

I think maybe he meant "nibbling".