The Continuing Rise of Jose Contreras

whitesoxfan101

Ho hum, another great outing for Jose today. To be honest I didn't even think he had his best stuff, his control wasn't as good as it has been usually since last August, and his off speed stuff really wasn't there all that much, yet here we are with him throwing 8 and only giving up 2. The dude is locked up through 2009 at under 10 million per, has AMAZING stuff despite whatever his real age is, and has won 11 straight in the regular season and his only loss period was a 3-2 quality start against the Angels where he didn't get run support in the playoffs.

This staff has 6 guys that are above average starters, but it's now clear we have 2 STUD ACES in Count and Buehrle, and I can't wait to see how Vasquez pitches as we continue to work with him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Every time I read a poster here say we should trade Count (after we got Vazquez) if we could not extend him just made me laugh.

WHo cares how old he is? The guy clearly has figured out his pitching away from the Big Apple. And with our offense this year, all pitchers can be more relaxed and do their stuff with less worries....

KW struck freaking gold with this guy. Getting Count AND COMPENSATION from Steinbrenner for Loaiza is probably one of the best trades in franchise history. And re-signing him at a (relatively) paltry 3 years/$29 million was a second stroke of genius.

I still rememer how shocked I was when I heard on the radio that we got Count for Esteban Loaiza. Loaiza was pitching so s***ty at the time(even though i know they had similar numbers), I don't see why the Yanks wanted him. Escpecially given his potential.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
The trade has become quite lopsided. Count only gave up 2 or 3 runs and he didn't have anywhere near his best stuff. Simply amazing.

Mind you, he wasn't facing the '27 Yankees, or even the '06 Yankees out there.

Contreras is so good that without his best stuff, he can beat poor hitting teams. With his best stuff, he can beat anyone. That's an ace.

I love how Yankee fans try to jusitfy the trade as a "salary dump." Since when have the Yankees gave two s***s about payroll? Hell, Joe Sheehan (beloved by some on this site :headshake ) bashed the trade and said "you remember that money when the Yankees sign someone good this offseason."

You mean Carl Pavano? Jaret Wright? Or was it Tony Womack?

:rolly

And the Count is the one guy we can count on in the postseason. Buehrle is a tremendous regular season pitcher because he's so consistent. But like Tom Glavine, he's beatable in a big game. I'd actually rate Freddie Garcia our second best money pitcher (assuming he really hasn't lost velocity).

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
KW struck freaking gold with this guy.  Getting Count AND COMPENSATION from Steinbrenner for Loaiza is probably one of the best trades in franchise history.  And re-signing him at a (relatively) paltry 3 years/$29 million was a second stroke of genius.

We better be locking up Cooper before Steinbrenner has a chance to get his meat hooks in him.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
And the Count is the one guy we can count on in the postseason.  Buehrle is a tremendous regular season pitcher because he's so consistent.  But like Tom Glavine, he's beatable in a big game.  I'd actually rate Freddie Garcia our second best money pitcher (assuming he really hasn't lost velocity).

Did you happen to watch the postseason?

Pretty sure Buehrle pitched a complete game against the Angels. And he was going to go out for the 10th, because he only had, what, 90 pitches? Yeah, Buehrle can show up for the big game. Oh, and he saved Game Three after starting Game Two. Yeah, nuff said.

Contreras rocks though, definately.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Pretty sure Buehrle pitched a complete game against the Angels. And he was going to go out for the 10th, because he only had, what, 90 pitches? Yeah, Buehrle can show up for the big game. Oh, and he saved Game Three after starting Game Two. Yeah, nuff said.

Contreras rocks though, definately.

Hey, buddy, shut your ignorant mouth. Don't you know no one's immune to getting hooked on drugs?!

It is amazing that Count accepted a contract that low, he could have easily gotten $12 million a year. He is definitely an early Cy Young candidate and has been the best pitcher in the bigs since the All-Star break last year.

I am just glad to see that he has confidence even though his good friend El Duque is no longer there. At one point this was a slight concern but it is not anymore.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
Did you happen to watch the postseason?

Buehrle pitched one great game out of 3 starts. Our offense bailed him out of two potential losses in which he was behind 4-0 and 4-2. The 4-0 comeback was aided by the infamous Tony Graffanino boot job.

Contreras pitched 4 great starts out of 4. If he throws home on the comebacker in the first game against the Angels, that game is still 2-2 in the 9th.

Garcia pitched a solid game against Boston in the series clincher. His role was forgotten because Damaso Marte proceeded to try to screw it up, then El Duque got him off the hook. His next game was a complete game victory over the Angels. He finished it off with 7+ innings of shut out ball against the Astros in the WS clincher. Winning pitcher in two series clinching games. Not too shabby. Certainly better than Buehrle pitched in the postseason.

So wait a second...there's seriously a debate over which part of our starting rotation in the postseason was the most dominant, the guy who won two clinchers, the guy who won 3 games and got a save, or the guy who started off every series for us?

Damn, I absolutely couldn't care less which one of them pitched better. All of their names are on the back of my t-shirt today.