Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
We are in a bad way right now.

The no injury streak has run out and conflicting reports have Dye still hurting.

F.

As that conflicting report, I should reiterate that while Dye is still hurt, it isn't supposed to be a long term thing.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
KW has always said it takes 15 major league pitchers to get thru a season. It wouldn't surprise me to see him pick up another project or two and stash them in Charlotte.

If Haeger fails, and Contreras is on the DL for a month or more, McCarthy's going to have to move back into the rotation. Hopefully, Nelson will show he still has the ability to get some righties out, and he can go into the bullpen.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
We are in a bad way right now.

The no injury streak has run out and conflicting reports have Dye still hurting.

F.

f***ing hell, calm down. We don't know the extent of Jose's or Jermaine's injury and you're ready to jump off the bridge. Give it a few days and more details will come out.

I am just as worried as the next guy, and Jose has been by far the most solid pitcher this season probably in the majors. However, in the grand scheme of things missing 2-3 starts will not kill us and it is much more important to have him healthy for October.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
BTW, did the radio reports happen to state anything about structural issues regarding the hip?

No but someone on WSI posted last night about Contreras limping off the field terribly before yesterday's game after playing long toss. I guess he was with his kids waiting in an autograph line and saw him limping. Someone in line said he jumped for a ball and when he landed he was hurt. Its very possible he hurt in throwing on the side Saturday as has been reported, but thought it was fine, only to aggrevate it Sunday. The guy who posted this posted it last night so I'm betting he is telling the truth.

Guest JimH
If Haeger fails, and Contreras is on the DL for a month or more, McCarthy's going to have to move back into the rotation.  Hopefully, Nelson will show he still has the ability to get some righties out, and he can go into the bullpen.

Yes and the other thing to consider is, they'll need a guy who can go multiple innings. That's assuming Haeger bombs out and McCarthy is inserted into the rotation, which I'm not willing to assume at this point.

Nelson is a one inning guy at best, so the White Sox would need to sort a few things out.

Why is Haeger getting the start over McCarthy. Is it simply McCarthy's arm isnt ready to pitch more than 60-65 pitches? I personally think McCarthy should pitch about that pitch count and then bring in Haeger for long relief if need be. It doesnt sound like Jose will be gone all that long, 2 starts I'm thinking right now, but for the benefit of winning, I would hate to throw in a guy that has no MLB experience if we have someone ready just for this situation right here.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Nobody in their right mind thought Duque would go a full season without landing on the DL atleast once.  That's not a good comparison.

Nobody in their right mind thought Contreras was going to end up as good as he was since the All star break. Now we count on it.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
If Haeger fails, and Contreras is on the DL for a month or more, McCarthy's going to have to move back into the rotation.  Hopefully, Nelson will show he still has the ability to get some righties out, and he can go into the bullpen.

Haeger isn't being called up to make more than 1 or 2 starts. I think this is mainly precautionary. No reason to have him go early on and end up adjsuting his delivery because he's in pain and than having him blow his elbow or tear something in his shoulder because he's adjusting from the pain in his hip.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Hi Guys...yes it is confidential....stay tuned and try to show some patience, and most importantly some class! Start crafting your apologies and have them ready!

wow...

theres like fifty guys who owe you an apology.

Congrats on breaking the story... If thats your first story broken, you now have one more than Bruce Levine

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
No but someone on WSI posted last night about Contreras limping off the field terribly before yesterday's game after playing long toss. I guess he was with his kids waiting in an autograph line and saw him limping. Someone in line said he jumped for a ball and when he landed he was hurt. Its very possible he hurt in throwing on the side Saturday as has been reported, but thought it was fine, only to aggrevate it Sunday. The guy who posted this posted it last night so I'm betting he is telling the truth.

Sounds like a variation of Buehrle shagging fly balls and injuring his foot last year. If it's true, we need to purchase some protective bubbles for the starting five.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Nobody in their right mind thought Contreras was going to end up as good as he was since the All star break.  Now we count on it.

Huh? I don't get your point. Mine was that you can't compare losing Contreras to losing El Duque. Now what's yours?

What are the chances that if Contreras was out for a prolonged period, that McCarthy goes into the rotation and Haeger goes to the bullpen? With his knuckler, he'd be able to go multiple innings, and be able to pitch more often than just about anyone on the staff.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Haeger isn't being called up to make more than 1 or 2 starts.  I think this is mainly precautionary.  No reason to have him go early on and end up adjsuting his delivery because he's in pain and than having him blow his elbow or tear something in his shoulder because he's adjusting from the pain in his hip.

Stop derailing the thread by making sense, Jason. Sheesh.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
wow...

theres like fifty guys who owe you an apology. 

Congrats on breaking the story... If thats your first story broken, you now have one more than Bruce Levine

I'm the only one that's apologized to him. He could've gave us all a little more info at the time. But he was right.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Huh?  I don't get your point.  Mine was that you can't compare losing Contreras to losing El Duque.  Now what's yours?

I dont have one. Im just arguing with you because you brought the Cubs into the conversation :P

Cool on posting the story.

Im not sure what people expect when you say something is confidential. Clearly if you could of said your sources and how you knew, you would of.

Some times people just want to prove that they know more and so something like this could not possibly happen, but you should always give a person a chance.

It should be interesting as with Haeger they probably will let him stay in the game regardless of the score because he is a knuckle ball pitcher.

Hope he does well, should be fun to watch.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Unless he is moving permanently to the rotation, leave B-Mac in the pen.

He is not ready to start and we need him out there.

Yeah, thats probably a good point. I suppose being that it is temporary, you cant just throw him one way and then back to the pen. Ok....Im convinced easily. :D