Uribe

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
If they don't understand it, they hate it.

To translate(as best I can):

"Over the past couple years, Juan has been starting to take more pitches and extending his ABs; thus, he's walking more and striking out a little less, which is very good news. However, this year, he isn't taking as many pitches, and as a result he's striking out more and walking less. However, he's getting more extra base hits and producing more flyballs, which is a good and bad thing.

He's having a year like AJ....~ He was getting a bit unlucky, as a lot of the balls he was hitting were being made into outs, but some of that was due to fewer line drives. However, of his 61 hits on the year, nearly half(27) are for extra bases, which is quite encouraging.

If he can start taking more pitches and start looking for good pitches to hit instead of just swinging at anything thrown at him, he is going to be a damn fine hitter..."

Hope that helps ya man...I feel for you. :D

Very good translation, I just had to make one adjustment.

:P

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
It's pretty easy Milkman and none of those stats requires anything more than basic division. I'll run them down really quick:

P/PA -- Pitches per plate appearance. The higher the better. Everyone agrees patience at the plate is good. It tires the pitcher, creates walks, etc.

K/BB -- Strikeout to walk ratio. A good indicator of how well a player commands the strike zone, but not the end all. (See Jim Thome!!)

ISO -- Simply Slugging minus BA. A good indicator of what type a hitter a player is. Players with good ISO numbers are promising, because the potential is there to be harnessed in the form of increased plate discipline. It's usually brought up more in the minors to project players, but it's helpful in Juan's case to show that he has a fair amount of power, it's just his overall hitting that needs work.

BABIB -- Batting average balls in play. Simply a measure of how many hits a player has when he puts the ball in play. If you've played the game or just watched a lot, you know that sometimes rockets are hit right at people and sometimes dribbles make it through the hole. BABIB help tell when a player has just gotten "lucky".

FB % and LD % Just the % of fly balls and line drives a player hits. Good hitters obviously hit more line drives and home run hitters obviously hit more fly balls. Players with high LD % (Frank Thomas for example) usually have very good BABIB, and good stats in general.

I hope that helped. I wish more people had an open mind about so called "advanced" stats. This is just common sense stuff that is helpful to judge how a player is performing, and how they might do in the future.

Hm, those actually do seem pretty simple. They seem to be a very good measure of very specific aspects of the game.

I was actually wondering this the other day, so maybe you'd be able to find out. Which player sees the most pitches per AB in the ML?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Hm, those actually do seem pretty simple. They seem to be a very good measure of very specific aspects of the game.

I was actually wondering this the other day, so maybe you'd be able to find out. Which player sees the most pitches per AB in the ML?

Bobby Abreu, with Kevin Youkilis second.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
I just went over to fangraphs to check out his trends, and it's pretty crazy what he's doing right now. Prior to this year, his BB%, P/PA and K/BB had all been trending up, which was very encouraging to us Juan fans and stat heads. Now, they are almost all down. However, his ISO, and FB% are WAY up.

He's having an AJ like 2005 almost: lots of fly balls with plenty of HR and doubles, few walks, lower BA and subpar OBP. His BABIB is down, as is his line drive percentage. His ISO is over 2, which is very, very good.

If he can start taking soem damn walks, he'll be a damn fine hitter. I don't expect it though, and I'm a big Juan supporter/apoligist.

I think Juan is doing this in phases, and the plate patience will come. If you remember last postseason, he walked just about as well as anyone in our lineup.

Right now, I think Juan is in the phase where he's just getting confident in his new stance. The leg kick is gone. Now he's on the spread-stance approach. Since he's killing the ball, as an impatient guy, he just wants to kill it every time up. Once he gets more confidence and realizes the only way they can get him out is by throwing way out of the zone, I expect he'll back off a bit and start taking some of those pitches. He can actually hit balls out of the zone -- it's the way out ones that he can't handle that he should lay off.

One thing I'll add. If Juan can keep hitting like this, I wouldn't trade him for Miguel Tejada (given MT's big contract). The guy's an offensive force. (Now if only BA could learn to hit behind him ....)

Its real simple for Juan. Whether he does it with a spread stance, or a leg kick. If his front foot is quiet and doesnt fly open and start a spin he can keep on the ball and make good contact. As long as he keeps this through the season he will be fine. Were juan gets into trouble is when he turns into the Tasmanian devil. His front foot flys open and his toe will point to third, his entire body lunges forward and he gets poor plate coverage with the angle of his bat and the fact that his body is threw the zone already. That is when Juan is really poor.

I hope he can keep this up, keep his body back, his hands quiet, and that front foot moving towards the pitchers plate.

Brian is also looking better behind Juan. Brians double yesterday were the quickest I saw his hands through the zone. Now if he can get his hands through the hitting plane like that, he will get some pop on the ball.

Edited by southsideirish71