Uribe

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
Hopefully Crede isn't becoming the old Crede at the plate. Kind of a no-show the last week or so at the plate.

Crede is currently 1 for his last 18 with 2 Ks over that span. This is over the course of 5 games dating back to May 16th and his batting average has dropped 32 points during this slump.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shoota @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
By dominance I am speaking of performances like Hermanson, Politte and Cotts's 2005 seasons. I don't care if the bullpen personnel changes every season, just as long as the dominance is present.

So Kenny was supposed to go out and secure three guys during the off-season that had eras in the 2's?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Is it too early to start a new thread bashing Garland's performance against the A's?

You may want to overlook Garland and prepare for Buehrle's thread.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Call me the minority, but I don't have a problem with him. Why didn't PK lay out for that throw? You'll see at least half the 1B lay out on that one and PK still could've had a foot on the base. I'm not blaming it on him either though. Cedeno slid in hard like you're supposed to and you saw why you're supposed to. Today we just lost. It happens guys. Get over it. I'm much more worried about our bullpen.

BTW, I do think Anderson would've caught that ball that Mack layed out for.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)

I agree. He got a bad jump and doesn't have the make up speed.

Besides, didn't Pods make the last out in the 7th? Brian wouldn't have been batting any time soon.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
That's exactly what happened. I wanted to see BA out there too.

You would hope managers would learn from their mistakes too.

All in all there was plenty of blame to go around today. Way too many called 3rd strikes, shoddy defense, poor relief pitching and iffy moves by Ozzie. Only positives were Paulie and AJ at the plate and Jose on the mound. Was also cool to see an opponent get caught stealing...especially with Jose on the mound.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
So Kenny was supposed to go out and secure three guys during the off-season that had eras in the 2's?

No, he was supposed to acquire bullpen arms who WOULD HAVE eras in the 2s in 2006.

Though I don't expect every bullpen pitcher to meet that criteria, only 4 of them.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Call me the minority, but I don't have a problem with him. Why didn't PK lay out for that throw? You'll see at least half the 1B lay out on that one and PK still could've had a foot on the base. I'm not blaming it on him either though. Cedeno slid in hard like you're supposed to and you saw why you're supposed to. Today we just lost. It happens guys. Get over it. I'm much more worried about our bullpen.

I don't blame Paulie for not catching Uribe's throw. While the throw didn't look too far away from Konerko, it was to Konerko's non-glove side, where range is less than glove side. The speed of Uribe's throw also hurt Konerko's chance at making that catch. I've been on the receiving end of those throws and they are quite difficult.

I don't think Cedeno's slide should have forced Uribe to throw offline since Uribe's kick-tag of second allowed him to avoid any contact from Cedeno.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Difference: Sox fans had high hopes for Crede because of his performance in the minors

When has anybody ever expectmore than .250 and good defense from Uribe. Neither of which has he done consistently. That is what is most maddening. He is so raw that do we really know what to expect from him? More like Uribe is the new Jose Valenin, living off a few good moments for too long.

:bang :bang :bang

He's a .260 lifetime hitter. Really, his 04, career year, was pretty much on par with the "great" Aaron Rowand's 04, while playing better defense. Uribe's going to be fine. No, he's not a patient hitter, but he does some things well with the bat. He had a ton of productive outs last year and had a ton of sacrifices. He's had a bad month and half. He's also capable of getting really hot over an extended period and evening those numbers out a little. Our offense is fine. We need to stick with what this team's really all about, good pitching and defense. Cintron's not even in Uribe's league defensively. The few more hits he'll get you don't outweigh that. It's the same as BA vs. Mack IMO.

How has Uribe's defense been "bad" this year, him and Crede have been about as good as you could ask for out of hte left side of your IF defensively.

One bad play and he's villianized? Stop letting the Cubs get to your head.. I'm all for adding a CF (TORRII HUNTER) who can swing the bat and brings a great glove, but if we cant work that deal then OK.

Are you guys gonna rag on Jim Thome b/c he strikes out like crazy? No.

I agree that Uribe has been bad, but Cintron is definitely not the answer. He's like Mackowiak -- solid bench player, but when placed into a starting role, your in trouble. I can almost guarantee his range doesn't touch Uribe's (nor does his arm, today's play withstanding), and his bat is marginally better (career OPS+ of 85 to Uribe's 82).

Oh, and Anderson probably does three somerrsaults and a flip while catching Barrett's fly ball in his back pocket. Really, really important to have a good defender at CF and SS.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(MayIHelpYouMrLennon? @ May 21, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm all for adding a CF (TORRII HUNTER) who can swing the bat and brings a great glove, but if we cant work that deal then OK.

No. Torii Hunter ~ Aaron Rowand. Why would the Sox trade for Hunter, when they traded away Rowand so Anderson could start?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(MayIHelpYouMrLennon? @ May 21, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
They traded Rowand to get a Left Handed Power bat to fill the DH role. Not to give Anderson a chance to start.

But Rowand was only available because of Anderson's prescene.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)

He's a .260 lifetime hitter. Really, his 04, career year, was pretty much on par with the "great" Aaron Rowand's 04, while playing better defense. Uribe's going to be fine. No, he's not a patient hitter, but he does some things well with the bat. He had a ton of productive outs last year and had a ton of sacrifices. He's had a bad month and half. He's also capable of getting really hot over an extended period and evening those numbers out a little. Our offense is fine. We need to stick with what this team's really all about, good pitching and defense. Cintron's not even in Uribe's league defensively. The few more hits he'll get you don't outweigh that. It's the same as BA vs. Mack IMO.

Junior, aside from disagreeing on what Uribe is going to end the year in terms of average, you pretty much repeated my post(s). :huh: I hear an echo!

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

Uribe's offense started to decline in 2005 and is very serious this year. As has been pointed out if you aren't hitting you had better be fielding at a gold glove level. Uribe has shown us some spectacular fielding ability, but not of late and any fielding mistake he makes is magnified because of his anemic hitting. I think he needs to be benched for awhile and get his butt kicked by Ozzie and the coaches on a daily basis so he starts to wake up and listen. The coaching staff has been on him for quite awhie about his plate discipline.

Before every game, Farmer asks Uribe what are you going to do. Juan proudly says, I am going to hit a homer. He guarentees a homer every game.

Then he spends the next 4ABS swinging at anything relatively near the plate. Sometimes almost bounced in with large full cuts almost like its the home run derby. Its lovely when you have a guy who is wild as hell, walking the world and you are trying to rally and you see a few guys down Uribe is coming up. He strolls to the plate, and on the first pitch pops it up or GIDP to kill the threat. In the second half of last year he hit decent. He closed his stance off, and kept on the ball. Now he has completely forgot that and is back to his Tasmanian Devil impersonation. Juan needs to stop thinking he is Tejada, and start to hit the ball like a major leaguer. For all the crap Anderson has got on this board, Juan has been in the league for a while. He should hit a lot better than this.

BTW Jason called his in ST that Cintron would be our starting SS by the allstar break. I think he will be right.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)

You make the point that Cintron is slightly better offensively than Uribe, and admit Uribe is in an offensive slump, so what do you think of the idea of starting Cintron for a couple weeks to give Uribe time to work with Walker on his swing?