JEFF NELSON

bogie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Shields ever became available.......he's such a rubber arm I can't see the Angels ever dealing him, especially since they aren't going into rebuilding mode any time soon. I still think Lidge may become available especially if Clemens comes back to the Astros. They may look for some salary relief, but Lidge probably would cost more than the Sox have to offer, at least prospects wise.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
I'd rather deal him for Bradley Lidge :D

But Shields is another guy that could become available (since the Angels SUCK).

You know I've been on the acquire Lidge bandwagon for almost a year now. I think the guy is awesome, and he could get a fresh start in the AL (against hitters who haven't seen his slider). It's just painful to see Ozzie not have a handle on our bullpen yet (not entirely his fault). Politte should be more of a long reliever then a set-up guy. He's lost 3 mph off of his fastball, and he resembles Vizcaino now with all of his sliders.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
You don't trade Josh Fields for a middle reliever, plain and simple.

Well, not necessarily straight-up. If the Angels or 'Stros would be willing to deal Shields, Donnelly, or Qualls for Fields, KW would probably want a prospect or two as well.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 22, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
You know I've been on the acquire Lidge bandwagon for almost a year now. I think the guy is awesome, and he could get a fresh start in the AL (against hitters who haven't seen his slider).

^^^

Lidge and Jenks would provide a hell of a one-two punch.

Sadly, it's probably just a pipedream.

Lidge, IMO, if he's 100% healthy, would make AL hitters look silly. Jenks would be a set-up guy, and get an occassional chance at a save. It would make the bullpen very strong, very quickly. I just don't think the Sox have great enough prospects to get him, if Houston would even trade him.

Per CBS sportsline player updates White Sox RHP Agustin Montero will be on a short leash. If the Sox don't see some production from the rookie out of the bullpen, veteran RHP Jeff Nelson could be summoned. Nelson has continued to impress in Triple-A Charlotte, showing improved velocity. That also was why GM Ken Williams spent the weekend in Charlotte, observing the roster down there and assessing if Nelson could make an impact for the Sox.

Guest JimH
Per CBS sportsline player updates White Sox RHP Agustin Montero will be on a short leash. If the Sox don't see some production from the rookie out of the bullpen, veteran RHP Jeff Nelson could be summoned. Nelson has continued to impress in Triple-A Charlotte, showing improved velocity. That also was why GM Ken Williams spent the weekend in Charlotte, observing the roster down there and assessing if Nelson could make an impact for the Sox.

Makes sense, assuming CBS Sportsline is in the loop and can be believed.

I heard the same thing on The Score. They also said that KW was in Charlotte to watch Nelson pitch.

I see nothing wrong with sending Montero down when Nelson is ready.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ May 22, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Just say no to Donnelly. He's past his prime, and his stuff has fallen off from a few years ago. Also....he's an asshole!

Donnelly is fine if we are giving up Tracey and a lesser prospect...not someone like Josh Fields.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 22, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)

I haven't heard anything about Nelson, but I haven't asked either. I do know there was a day or two span where Nelson was listed as inactive which I found funny, but never asked for more info.

But I wouldn't be too concerned if his velocity is down. As a ROOGY, he really doesn't need good velocity, assuming his breaking stuff and control is solid.

Donnelly is fine if we are giving up Tracey and a lesser prospect...not someone like Josh Fields.

I haven't heard anything about Nelson, but I haven't asked either. I do know there was a day or two span where Nelson was listed as inactive which I found funny, but never asked for more info.

But I wouldn't be too concerned if his velocity is down. As a ROOGY, he really doesn't need good velocity, assuming his breaking stuff and control is solid.

Exactly. He needs to be able to locate his slider off the left side of the plate since he will only be facing righties. His fastball has never been that great anyways.

Edited by SSH2005

Source in beginning of thread sucks KW below on JN

"He threw the ball great. He's coming," Williams said. "There isn't any secret. If there are some things we are dissatisfied with and we don't think are performing up to expectations, we will make a change.