Ozzie: Mack going to start more games in CF

greasywheels121

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
It was always unrealistic to give Brian Anderson more than 80-100 games as a rookie when he obviously had no clue at the plate during his call up last September. All the Sox are doing now is settling into a more realistic breaking in period for Anderson. Mack isn't the CF of the future, or even that much of the present. Anderson will always be the late inning defensive replacement, will certainly start against all lefties (and since we haven't done very well against lefties, teams are going to use them against us if they can), and will start against the right handers that Ozzie thinks won't embarrass him.

I agree with those who feel defense is important. But Mackowiak has just won us two out of three against Oakland with his bat, so lighten up.

Of course that sample size you're talking about when BA had no clue is only 34 AB's, and not Anderson's minor league track record.

He was always going to get the oppurtunity to start in CF, and other rookies have come in like Grady Sizemore and produced, so it's not impossible to do so.

But BA needs time, just like Aaron Rowand did when he 1st came up, and I still think he'll be a productive major league hitter. People just need to be patient.

Mack is a streaky hitter so as soon as he gets cold again, Anderson should get the majority of the starts again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y aI know Dye should have caught the ball... but its was comically funny in that dye was looking at Mack when the ball was hit thinking WTF are you gonna do... talk to me. And Mack was like I dont want not part of that... abd you have to your te CF... the Cf has to want every ball.

Oh well. He got some knocks today but his defense will cost us mor ein the long run. And whos to say that BA couldnt get a hit off Haran.... its just pure conjecture.... he got hits off tough pitchers before

Id rather have D and a struggling hitter then a black hole from LF to CF

I will say this much. Anderson should be in CF in the 8th inning of every game in which we have a lead.

Yep. The Sox don't have alot of strikeout guys on the staff either, so it's even more important to field a solid defense behind them.

I'm coming around on this move a bit. The key will be to make sure Mack is not ever in CF in the 8th or 9th with a lead, and to make sure that Mack is playing during his notorious "hot streaks" and not during his equally notorious slumps.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
Of course that sample size you're talking about when BA had no clue is only 34 AB's, and not Anderson's minor league track record.

He was always going to get the oppurtunity to start in CF, and other rookies have come in like Grady Sizemore and produced, so it's not impossible to do so.

But BA needs time, just like Aaron Rowand did when he 1st came up, and I still think he'll be a productive major league hitter. People just need to be patient.

Mack is a streaky hitter so as soon as he gets cold again, Anderson should get the majority of the starts again.

Yes, it was a small sample size, but it was enough -- given the fact that it included no walks and 11 or 12 Ks -- to know that he wasn't going to be able to come right in and start hitting. Heck, Joe Crede was probably better as a hitter in the minors -- didn't he win league MVPs in AA and AAA? -- yet it has taken him several years to adjust.

I have no problem at all with the way that Ozzie is handling CF at the moment. He's trying to break in Anderson without costing us games. I agree that while Mack has the hot hitting hand he's going to get more time, but Ozzie is still going to push Anderson as much as he can. (I also think Pods isn't out there because Ozzie doesn't want him to get hurt trying to cover more ground.)

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Yes, it was a small sample size, but it was enough -- given the fact that it included no walks and 11 or 12 Ks -- to know that he wasn't going to be able to come right in and start hitting. Heck, Joe Crede was probably better as a hitter in the minors -- didn't he win league MVPs in AA and AAA? -- yet it has taken him several years to adjust.

I have no problem at all with the way that Ozzie is handling CF at the moment. He's trying to break in Anderson without costing us games. I agree that while Mack has the hot hitting hand he's going to get more time, but Ozzie is still going to push Anderson as much as he can. (I also think Pods isn't out there because Ozzie doesn't want him to get hurt trying to cover more ground.)

He's also trying to break in Anderson without breaking down Anderson.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Y aI know Dye should have caught the ball... but its was comically funny in that dye was looking at Mack when the ball was hit thinking WTF are you gonna do... talk to me. And Mack was like I dont want not part of that... abd you have to your te CF... the Cf has to want every ball.

Oh well. He got some knocks today but his defense will cost us mor ein the long run. And whos to say that BA couldnt get a hit off Haran.... its just pure conjecture.... he got hits off tough pitchers before

Id rather have D and a struggling hitter then a black hole from LF to CF

It looked to me like they were talking. Both of them were calling for it. It happens sometimes.

Without Mackowiak in the starting lineup last night, we don't win the game. And Dye's just as much to blame on the dropped fly ball as Mackowiak is. Also....anyone who thinks that Anderson would have gotten a hit off of Haren last night is nuts. Righties only had 1 hit last night against A's pitching.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
Without Mackowiak in the starting lineup last night, we don't win the game. And Dye's just as much to blame on the dropped fly ball as Mackowiak is. Also....anyone who thinks that Anderson would have gotten a hit off of Haren last night is nuts. Righties only had 1 hit last night against A's pitching.

Slightly off topic...but with Crede scuffling and Mack whacking the ball right now, now might be an ideal time to give Rob a couple of starts at 3rd and let Crede get some extra rest/batting cage work...especially when we don't have the ground ball pitchers (Mark & Jon) on the mound.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 25, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)

Mack got one and gave them one... By my count that makes the score 2-1, no?

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
Mack should never be in CF EVER.

Predictably, the knee-jerk reactions begin... :rolly

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:28 AM)
I will say this much. Anderson should be in CF in the 8th inning of every game in which we have a lead.

Agreed with that. But if/when we get to the playoffs, I want BA starting.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Mack got one and gave them one... By my count that makes the score 2-1, no?

His leadoff double started the rally when we were down 1-0. He also had a two out RBI that gave us a huge insurance run. I'm also not ready to start blaming him for Dye dropping that ball. It was poor communication by two veterans, and we should just be thankful that we didn't blow the game because of it. Mackowiak's given us as much offensive contribution this week as Anderson has in a month.....his defense isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the Anderson lovers are trying to state it is. Good job by Ozzie of putting the best team on the field right now.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Predictably, the knee-jerk reactions begin... :rolly

Agreed with that. But if/when we get to the playoffs, I want BA starting.

What is this? Another fan cannot have an opinion? I have cringed multiple times watching mack in CF on TV. I get the chance to watch him in person finally, and it was awful, and I cannot say I never want in CF... is that so wrong.

Stop being a jerk

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
This thread is still getting burn partly because it's an offday. It's f***ing boring tonight.

Here's something completely different:

Isiah Thomas, Matt Millen, or Jim Hendry?

Hawk.

Oz has no choice.

Maybe this will make Anderson wake up and get some hits.

I don't think Mack is a great player and he's not a good defender compared

to Anderson, but Oz has no choice.

Hitting .160 is not acceptable.

Ozzie said "tough right handers" and he'll sit Anderson.

I think that's good. Who can blame him???

As far as it hurting Anderson's confidence, I doubt that. If it does, then too

bad for Anderson. If he wants to make money in this game like you know he

wants to, he's going to have to hit better than .160.

Mack isn't good enough defensively to be a starting CF, but Anderson shouldn't be a full-time starter either if he can't hit above .200.

I would give Anderson another month to get his s*** together because he's the only viable starting CF on the roster. If he's still sucking by this time next month, it's time to get someone from outside the ORG. KenGriffeyJrTalk.com anyone?