Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Maxi Rodriguez with the goal of the tournament so far given the circumstances.

Great Great Argentina Mexico game. Mexico looked very good for a lot of the game, but Argentina also started to get things going after a slow start and they picked up the win in overtime.

Awesome game. I think it was the best game of the cup thus far.

Argentina will meet up with Germany (two of my 3 favorites to win the game; obviously Brazil would be the favorite).

Of course I'll be rooting for Italy and Netherlands.

Call me sour grapes, but England is not impressing me at all. Beckham saved their ass today on a great shot that could have been blocked had the golie gotten a better break toward the ball.

Nor sure why Suarez saved Kaviedes until the final 20 minutes. He's a playmaker and has tons of big game experience.

Ecuador waited until it was way too late to finally put pressure on England. England was exhausted near the end and had they been pressured all game, might have run out of gas even sooner.

....and poor officiating, toward both teams, wierd whistle today.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I think they can do the first, and I don't think an upset in the second set is out of the question....

I would be shocked if Italy loses to Australia, Ukraine, or the Swiss. They were f***ing around against the U.S. for some reason, but they're real good.

these refs are ruining some of these games. it sucks to watch the refs do this.

England might get lucky and beat Portugal with Deco out. Hopefully C. Ronaldo can get better and play.

and the Dutch coach needs to get fired. how can you not get Ruud into the game!?!?!

QUOTE(zenryan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
and the Dutch coach needs to get fired. how can you not get Ruud into the game!?!?!

Not only that, but he left a lot of National Team regulars off the roster like Makaay, Seedorf, Davids, and Kluivert. I know some of those guys are a little old, but they can still at least be useful players. So instead he goes with a youngster in Hasselbank that was playing in his first WC game instead of a solid striker in Van Nistelrooy. Sounds pretty iffy to me.

Australia vs. Italy tonight.

Harry Kewell's a major injury doubt, with his groin strain which he's had since the FA Cup final.

If he can play, I think we can cause an upset. Italy haven't been impressive in this tournament to date, especially against your mob.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
If he can play, I think we can cause an upset. Italy haven't been impressive in this tournament to date, especially against your mob.

Pfft, please. Italy has been impressive in the other 2 games with 2-0 wins in both. Italy isn't losing to your Aussies, keep dreaming.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Pfft, please. Italy has been impressive in the other 2 games with 2-0 wins in both. Italy isn't losing to your Aussies, keep dreaming.

That was against a Czech team without their main striker in Jan Koller, and Ghana in the 1st game.

No doubt we're the underdogs though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
That was against a Czech team without their main striker in Jan Koller, and Ghana in the 1st game.

No doubt we're the underdogs though.

Socceroo's put in a valiant effort, but a late penalty kills them. 1-0 Italy in 90+.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Forza Italy

Oh that Dutch game yesterday was bulls***. Screw the Portugese players and there dirty ways.

Wait till they try that crap on England. The premiership is probably the most physical league in Europe.

England goes through to the semis is my prediction.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Wait till they try that crap on England. The premiership is probably the most physical league in Europe.

England goes through to the semis is my prediction.

I sure as hell hope they do. I never root for England (the only team I have blood in that I don't root for; I'm a quarter English) but after that display Portugal put up against my Dutchies, well kick some ass Beckham and company :cheers

Great win for Italy after a tough game. I think the red card was a rough decision but Italy overcame it. The Aussies really needed to push harder offensively. It looked like they were going to have to score on a set piece because they showed little during the run of play. I was pretty sure it was going to go to extra time where I wasn't liking the prospect. That was an exciting game from my perspective but was probably dull to an outsider. Totti came up money.

Actually it hurts when 1 team is physical and the other team is weak. Makes the more physical team look even worse.

Watching this World Cup and then watching the MLS game, Fire versus Red Bull, it just is shocking the difference in physicality. The MLS basically had no fouls called, and many no calls would have received atleast a yellow card in the cup.

The question is, which is the more entertaining form, the one where fouls are called strict, or the one where the game is played loose.

I think that soccer could become a big time sport in the US, but international play will have to start to change to the American mindset. American's in my opinion, can not accept it when players lay on the ground in pain to get a foul, are taken off on a stretcher, and then 5 seconds later do not even seem to be in pain. Another thing is that blatant time wasting at the end of close games that just destroys the intensity. Watching Portugal just stall for about 15 minutes while different players took their turns being injured just ruined the ending of an otherwise good match.

If the no touching style of play continues to dominate, many American's will never be able to get into the sport. The US also needs to really teach their players how to play the game, its just disgusting watching how few shots on goal they attempt. Their basic strategy is to always try and use headers, where as a team like Brazil barely ever scores that way.