2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
another turn through the rotation and we have . . .

UP TO THE SECOND SP TRUST LEVELS:

1a.) Jon Garland - Jonny boy came up absolutely huge, saving the Sox from being swept by the Rangers. I now trust him more than any other starter, I feel dirty.

2.) Jose Contreras - Ok outing from the Count in a big game Vs the Twins, a pathetic 0-2 pitch to resulting in a 3 Run Homer off the top of the left field wall sealed his fate however. I guess I'm still pretty damn confident in him.

Totally agree ^

-

-

-

-

-

-

3.) Javier Vazquez - 5 INNINGS OF PURE DOMINATION YO! Too bad this isn't softball or Vazquez

would be the spiff. He sucked but not as bad as Buehrle so he jumps into the #3 spot which isn't saying much.

As of right now, Vasquez would be my 5, by far. He has never showed us that he can be a consistently successful pitcher, he's more or less performing like he's always performed. He needs to piece several good starts together before I can force myself to believe he is capable of being a good pitcher.

4.) Mark Buehrle - 5 straight losses and he's allowed 5 runs or more in all of them, he's given up 47 hits in his last 26 2/3 innings of work. I don't know WTF is wrong with him but I don't really see an end to the suckiness in sight.

Buehrle is my 3, although it's a hesitant move. He's been bad for a long stretch of time now, but I have faith he will eventually return to previous form. Previous form. Something Vasquez has little of to fall back on. But that's a different story.

-

-

5.) Freddy Maddux - A fluky start from the Mad Dog nets him a notch on the board, I still have no interest in seeing him pitch for the Sox. His situation is one of utter mystery.

While I'm not incredibly pleased with Freddy, he did do better his last start and tomorrow we'll see if it was a fluke or maybe he will start to do better. He's my 4. He has the stuff to be a consistently dominant starter and has been in the past. Maybe a kick in the ass by Oz could jumpstart him, or the possibility of changing teams or being on a losing White Sox team could have the same effect.

Edited by Jake

• The White Sox posted a 57-31 mark during the unofficial "first half" of the season, but they're only 2-10 since play resumed after the All-Star break. No other team that was at least 25 games over .500 at the time of the All-Star Game has ever lost 10 of its first 12 games after the break.

• With his defeat Wednesday, Mark Buehrle is 0-5 in July, losing in each of his starts this month. No White Sox pitcher had lost five games in July since Ken Kravec went 0-5 in July 1978.

Buehrle is 16-9 over his last 25 starts against Minnesota. No pitcher had earned a decision in each of 25 straight starts against a particular opponent since Jack Morris went 17-12 over a span of 29 starts against the Red Sox from 1981-94.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Details when he's done, plz.

He doesn't take trade rumors very seriously, he jokes around about them now. Doesn't believe any of the rumors.

It was his dream growing up to play for the Sox and there's no way he wants to leave.

The clubhouse has basically been the same all year but he feels it's picked up a bit since getting to Baltimore, they're feeling a bit more positive.

Getting used to the relief role took him awhile at first but he's finally setteled into it. he doesn't think jumping back into the rotation would be a problem

He also had a good quote, they normally have him on every few weeks to talk about the team, "would you guys still be opposed to doing the show if I'm pitching for the Nationals?"

Brandon is such a great interview.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
He doesn't take trade rumors very seriously, he jokes around about them now. Doesn't believe any of the rumors.

It was his dream growing up to play for the Sox and there's no way he wants to leave.

The clubhouse has basically been the same all year but he feels it's picked up a bit since getting to Baltimore, they're feeling a bit more positive.

Getting used to the relief role took him awhile at first but he's finally setteled into it. he doesn't think jumping back into the rotation would be a problem

He also had a good quote, they normally have him on every few weeks to talk about the team, "would you guys still be opposed to doing the show if I'm pitching for the Nationals?"

Brandon is such a great interview.

Good stuff and thanks for the recap. Mac is definatley a good interview. He knows what he wants to do, is mature for a guy his age, and really has an understanding for the game and a strong work ethic.

I'll be really happy when the deadline passes and he's still on our roster.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Good stuff and thanks for the recap. Mac is definatley a good interview. He knows what he wants to do, is mature for a guy his age, and really has an understanding for the game and a strong work ethic.

I'll be really happy when the deadline passes and he's still on our roster.

I'll be even happier in a few years when that change up earns him a really nice looking trophy after he moves into the starting rotation.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Iguchi fired Moss, and I suspect he has a clause in his contract like Contreras had that make him exempt from the reserve/arbitration process, essentially becoming a FA if he isn't resigned quickly following next season.

Do you know who Iguchi hired? I've looked around and can't find anything anywhere, same with any sort of clause exempting him from arbitration, as far as I can tell there's no published reports that mention any such clause though I find it unlikely that he doesn't have one.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iguchi fired Moss, and I suspect he has a clause in his contract like Contreras had that make him exempt from the reserve/arbitration process, essentially becoming a FA if he isn't resigned quickly following next season.

I thought we have an option for Gooch in 2007. :huh:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
I thought we have an option for Gooch in 2007. :huh:

Ya, we will have him next year. The question is whether he had a clause in his contract that would make him exempt from arbitration (ie the club would have to release him, making him an unrestricted FA; a similar thing was in Matsui's contract and thats why the Yanks had to give him an extension).

Basically if Iguchi's contract has that clause, we will have a short window to exclusively negotiate with him after 07, and than at one point or another (before the deadline to file for FA I guess) Iguchi would be released and than the Sox would no longer have the exclusive window as he'd be an unrestricted FA.

I did a lousy job explaining that, but hopefully it makes some sense.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Kalapse, wanna do a BP one too? I haven't watched the past couple games, but I'd have to imagine it'd go: Jenks, Thornton, MacD, Cotts, BMac, Riske

UP TO THE SECOND BP TRUST LEVELS:

1.) Bobby Jenks - 8 outings in July for Bobby, he allowed atleast 1 run in 4 of them, 2 runs in 3 of them. Of course only 3 of the 8 were even save oppertunities in the outings where a save was possible he only allowed 1 run, in the other 2 outings he did not allow a run. Bobby has struggled this season in non-save situations and multi-inning outings, July has been no different. He's still the best reliever the Sox have.

-

-

2.) Matt Thornton - 11 outings in July for Mathew Thornton, he's only allowed a run in 1 of them. 9 IP, 14 Ks, 5BB, 6 H. 13 Ks per 9 for July, if that doesn't say dominance I don't know what does.

-

3.) Mike MacDougal - There's just something about the guy that I trust, he's had serious control problems over the course of his career but in the 2 innings he's pitched in a Sox uni he's showed perfect control especially with the 2 seamer. 2 IP, 1 K, 1 H small ass sample size but still, I'm impressed.

4.) Neal Cotts - In a dead heat with Mac for the 3rd spot, Neal pitched 2/3 of an inning today picking up a K and nothing else. He's had a pretty shaky July posting a 3.60 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and a .256 BAA, the subpar month raised his season ERA 20 points. Even with his struggles, you just have to feel relatively confident with Neal going to the mound, an off month is still a great month for most lefty relievers in baseball.

-

5.) Brandon McCarthy - It's taken some time for Brandon to adjust to his new role as a longman/setup man after spending his entire life in the Starting Rotation including his rookie season last year. He's been pretty damn dominant of late, in his last 6 outings Brandon has thrown 8 2/3 yielding just 5 hits and 3 BBs plus 3 Ks. When used to start innings and given regular time Brandon is exceptional.

-

-

6.) David Riske - I'd say the best word to describe David would be "meh" he's a pretty steady middle reliever and has done nothing of late to disprove this. He's been pretty good for 6th/7th inning situations as well as some 8th inning work, I still don't trust him in bigtime late game situations but there really is no reason for him to even be pitching that late in the game considering how great the other 5 guys have been of late.

I thought this was nifty: http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/arc...07/29/1275.aspx

Splash landings

Ross Gload's unlikely go-ahead, ninth-inning grand slam not only marked his first homer of the season, but it marked the fourth time a reserve's first big fly of the year came in a crucial late-inning situation that either tied the game or put the Sox ahead.

In order...

Pablo Ozuna: Hits the game-tying homer off then-Seattle closer Eddie Guardado on May 3 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to tie up the game. It's Ozuna's first major-league homer in 334 at-bats.

Rob Mackowiak: On May 22, with the Sox down 4-2, hits a pinch-hit, game-tying home run off Oakland closer Huston Street with two outs in the eighth. He went homerless in his first 79 at-bats of the season.

Alex Cintron: Hits a go-ahead three-run homer with one out in the eighth inning off Fernando Rodney on June 6. Rodney entered the game with a 1.03 ERA, and Cintron hadn't gone deep even once in his first 92 at-bats.

Ross Gload: Hits a go-ahead grand slam off Chris Ray with one out in the ninth and the Sox down two on July 28. Gload hadn't homered since 2004.

If Chris Widger hadn't been DFA'd, he would've screwed up the perfect home-run cycle (one-run, two-run, three-run, grand slam). Widge was the second bench player to hit a homer, but it was another solo shot in the second inning of a game against the Twins on May 15.

Instead, the responsibility now rests on Sandy Alomar Jr.'s shoulders, as he needs a five-run homer to keep this phenomenon going. We'll see if his veteran presence pays off.